U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 02:34 PM

10 posts, read 14,342 times
Default Moving from Georgia to Dallas, TX

Need some help with relocating to Dallas. I'm in process of transferring from GA to the Dallas, TX area. My job is located off North Cockrell Hill Road, which is slightly southwest of downtown Dallas. I'm REALLY struggling deciding on an area to live in. Almost all threads I've read emphasize the problems with traffic. This seems to be true no matter where a person drives from. I currently live in a small rural community located about 35 miles outside of Atlanta, so traffic is minimal for me now. To say I hate traffic is an understatement, so the area in which I live is going to be critical. Can ANYONE offer me some suggestions? I've spent no less than 100 hours on the internet examining areas that may be good areas. I've looked North, South, East and West of the area I will be working in. For the life of me I can't find an area that meets all my requirements. I have two daughters that will be attending public schools, so this is probably the most significant factor in my decision making process. It is absolutely critical I find an excellent school district for my girls. The commute to work ranks second. I can adjust my hours as needed to avoid most rush-hour times. The price range I'm looking at is between 275k to 325k. So far, the areas I like best are (based on internet research only), Rockwall (1st), Grapevine (2nd), Plano (3rd) and Allen (4th). I've also looked at Midlothian, but have some concerns because of the air quality issues due to the cement plants?? I would really like for my commute to be within 35-45 minutes, including traffic delays (Good luck, right!)

Is there anyone out there who can offer some help? I would really appreciate any constructive advice someone may have.

Last edited by dgbjr; 09-29-2007 at 02:42 PM.. Reason: gave more details
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 02:43 PM

3,589 posts, read 276,866 times
Any of those areas would make for a hellish commute to where you're going to be working. Have you thought about living south of the Trinity? The DISD has terrible schools for the most part, but Duncanville has a good reputation and it's southwest of downtown Dallas, which will make for an easier commute.

Might want to check it out.

Old 09-29-2007, 03:18 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I've looked at this area, but have some serious concerns about the schools. I would rather stay East or North if I can. Just how bad of a commute am I looking at? What about if I leave around 6 AM for work? Leave around 6 PM for home? Is that doable within 35-45 minutes?

Old 09-29-2007, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbjr View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I've looked at this area, but have some serious concerns about the schools. I would rather stay East or North if I can. Just how bad of a commute am I looking at? What about if I leave around 6 AM for work? Leave around 6 PM for home? Is that doable within 35-45 minutes?
To get to any of those places even in light traffic you'd struggle to get home in 45 minutes if you hauled a$$...to put it bluntly.

I live in Addison and it takes 20 minutes to get to Allen from here in light traffic, and 30-35 minutes to get to Grapevine.

Old 09-29-2007, 04:13 PM

So, Rockwall or Grapevine will be a tough commute? Mapquest only shows it being about 35 miles to work from Rockwall and 25 or so from Grapevine. From what I've read, if I can hit the road by 6 AM, I should be able to aviod most traffic problems in the morning. Are there any other options other than primary highways that could be used with less traffic on them? If I am willing to endure the traffic issues, are these two communities a good place to call home? Which is better of the two?

Old 09-29-2007, 04:19 PM

Quote:
So, Rockwall or Grapevine will be a tough commute? Mapquest only shows it being about 35 miles to work from Rockwall and 25 or so from Grapevine. From what I've read, if I can hit the road by 6 AM, I should be able to aviod most traffic problems in the morning. Are there any other options other than primary highways that could be used with less traffic on them? If I am willing to endure the traffic issues, are these two communities a good place to call home? Which is better of the two?
When I get up at 6am and watch the morning news they often report slowdowns or even gridlock on some highways, often on 35 (which you'd likely have to use at some point in your commute).

They may be 25-35 miles away, but Dallas is a massive city of over 1 million people, and the roads in south Dallas are terrible. IMHO what you're trying to do is just not realistic especially given that you're willing to spend 10-11 hours at the office just to avoid traffic.

I don't know much about Rowlett; I personally wouldn't move there because it's far from everything, but I can't give any other specifics. Grapevine...eh...it's OK, some parts of it are really nice, others not so much. It's right next to the airport so there's the noise to consider, and the very icky highways. 635 peters out around there and you'll have to deal with airport traffic which on 114/121 can be less than fun.

I'd try to find something nice south of I-30 or I-20 if I were you. People moving to Dallas usually only consider the northern suburbs and that just sets them up for commuting hell. I hate sitting in traffic and I have a 25 minute commute from my office on 75 and Walnut Hill...and I live on Montfort just south of Beltline, if that gives you any idea of what you're up against. The morning traffic is a bit lighter...sometimes I get to work in under 20 minutes. I live 8 miles from the office.

Old 09-29-2007, 04:24 PM

6,586 posts, read 16,192,722 times
You would miss rush hour at 6am and that will help a lot. I just recently started commuting to downtown Dallas and the ride varies from 30-90 minutes and I live IN Dallas (Far North Dallas near Coit and Campbell, which is just south of Plano and west of Richardson). Getting around Dallas used to not be this bad.

Last Monday it took me 80 minutes to get to work and the next day it was 90 minutes. I live 15 miles away due north. But then on Friday I got there in 30 minutes. I left all of those days at 7:30. Watching the traffic it does seem a lot better at 6am. Going home is better. I can get home in 30-35 minutes or sometimes 45 minutes.

Old 09-29-2007, 04:29 PM

I really appreciate your honesty on all this. I've been beating my head gainst the wall trying to figure out where in the hell to go. If I stay South of the city, what areas would you recommend (other than Duncanville)? Is Midlothian ok? How about farther South? I'm willing to drive a little further if the traffic is not as big a deal. Remember, good schools are the primary concern for me. I would still like to find a community that offers a lot to do for kids as well. I have an 8 and 2 year old, so just watching the grass grow is not an option. I'm afraid the southern locations are not going to be as "urban" in terms of things to do? I may be way off base in saying that since I've never even been to Texas!

Old 09-29-2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:
I really appreciate your honesty on all this. I've been beating my head gainst the wall trying to figure out where in the hell to go. If I stay South of the city, what areas would you recommend (other than Duncanville)? Is Midlothian ok? How about farther South? I'm willing to drive a little further if the traffic is not as big a deal. Remember, good schools are the primary concern for me. I would still like to find a community that offers a lot to do for kids as well. I have an 8 and 2 year old, so just watching the grass grow is not an option. I'm afraid the southern locations are not going to be as "urban" in terms of things to do? I may be way off base in saying that since I've never even been to Texas!
For historical reasons the areas south of Dallas have usually been poorer and blacker, while the areas north of it are wealthier and whiter. Dallas self-segregates that way, so a lot of people moving to the area perpetuate it by heading straight for Plano or Frisco.

Midlothian was pretty rural when I was growing up, but it doesn't seem to be that way now. I've even seen people refer to Cleburne as a "suburb" of Dallas...I think it's 60 miles away! I've known a few people who went to Waxahachie which is south of Dallas on 35 and they love it, but it's not urban by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 09-29-2007, 04:53 PM

6,586 posts, read 16,192,722 times
Highland Park, University Park? Live where you want and do private school? Lake Highlands?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas