U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 02:54 AM

1,256 posts, read 3,273,020 times

Advertisements

Hey guys...

We have arrived in TX! Now, I was looking at Carillon development in Southlake... any thoughts on this place?

Man.. it is hot here. Atleast it ain't humid too. Chicago was having a heat wave w/ high humidity and that was brutal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 07:31 AM

9,830 posts, read 20,529,937 times
Looks like it will be nice, but it is just in the very beginning stages. For the last 2 years, it's just been a fancy sign in a cow pasture! Not sure what I think of all the town homes/zero lot lines.

Yes, it gets really hot here in the summers. You should have been here last year...

Old 07-14-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Looks like it will be nice, but it is just in the very beginning stages. For the last 2 years, it's just been a fancy sign in a cow pasture! Not sure what I think of all the town homes/zero lot lines.

Yes, it gets really hot here in the summers. You should have been here last year...
I saw one of the zero lot line homes - looked real nice on the inside and there was still some lot left for even a small pool. Price was not unreasonable either.

I was thinking of building in the estate section with the larger 1/3 acre lots. There aren't that many villa sections and they are quite pricey so I don't think they'd attract riff raff.

That's what I was thinking at least.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:17 PM
BCB

1,006 posts, read 1,415,744 times
The rest of the phases were purchased in a skeezy way by 100% tract builders ..yuck!

My friends and I are very disappointed that this happened. I now advise nobody to buy in Carillon besides the last few custom lots available: Maykus and John Atwood. They both build impeccable homes that are truly custom.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 04-11-2013 at 06:12 AM..

Old 04-11-2013, 09:17 AM

1,171 posts, read 798,295 times
Are there any town homes and zero lot homes in Southlake? which school district they are feeding into.

Last edited by ritholtz; 04-11-2013 at 09:27 AM..

Old 04-11-2013, 10:57 AM

9,830 posts, read 20,529,937 times
Carillon will feed in to the Carroll ISD.

I believe there will be some patio/zero lot homes available.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:03 PM
BCB

1,006 posts, read 1,415,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritholtz View Post
Are there any town homes and zero lot homes in Southlake? which school district they are feeding into.
I don't believe we have any zero lot line homes. I'm not sure what your price range is, or if you're even seriously considering housing options, but let me list a few small lot options.

Our country club, Timarron, offers a few streets worth 0.15 acre lots in the Crescent Royale neighborhood. Here is a link to one of the properties.

Tuscan Ridge is a small one-stree neighborhood located on the Southlake/Westlake border with beautiful hills, quiet streets, and gorgeous oak trees. Here is a link to one of the properties with a 0.19 acre lot. The homes are largely custom.

Carillon is offering non-zero lot line homes, which I'm not sure of exactly how big the lots are...I would assume around 0.10 acre. These are all tract homes and the quality is far sub-par to custom homes, believe me. I've toured the first villa lot in Carillon and found sloppy quality throughout the home i.e.. warped wood, sloppy painting, sloped floors, and overall poor quality for the price. Aside from being on flat land and next to the every growing 114, most of the villas will face retail,parking lot,parking garages etc.

Southlake Brownstones are designed by an outstanding architect and are located in Southlake Town Square with ~0.10 lot size. They are very unique in their own right and add a special charm to Southlake. They are three stories each, some come with elevators, and have small backyards. There should be a model home that you can visit, the realtor is very nice there. Here is a link to the Southlake Brownstones.

With those choices for small-lot living in Southlake, I would highly recommend choosing Tuscan Ridge in western Southlake or Crescent Royale in southern Southlake. All of the schools feed into Exemplary Carroll ISD.

Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited by BCB; 04-11-2013 at 03:11 PM..

Old 04-11-2013, 04:24 PM

2,838 posts, read 3,760,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
The rest of the phases were purchased in a skeezy way by 100% tract builders ..yuck!

My friends and I are very disappointed that this happened. I now advise nobody to buy in Carillon besides the last few custom lots available: Maykus and John Atwood. They both build impeccable homes that are truly custom.
Disappointed to hear the news about Carillon. I'm surprised they were able to go forward with the development in this manner in Southlake.

Question - Carillon's development seems to indicate that White Chapel will need to be widened in the near future. Anyone have any idea if this is already on the drawing board?

Old 04-12-2013, 12:20 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,338,272 times
I checked Carillon out a few weeks ago. The zero-lot units seemed to be the K. Hovinian town houses, the rest were estates and villas of varying size. I looked at the models for the custom villas, they were really nice but the land plots were way to small for what they were charging, even if you don't want a yard to maintain it seemed silly to pay a premium for a lack of land. For $750k+ I expect a decent yard, not a brazillian-bikini-wax-strip sized "side yard". They only had a couple of plots left for custom builds, but they are set to offer more plots thus summer when the next phase of their development starts.

If there was more land in the deal then I'd spring for the price tag- the custom build homes are very well constructed- but the plots aren't big enough for me, and I'm not tickled by the conveniences of a master planned community. I'm just a curmudgeon who wants to be left alone in their own big back yard.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:47 AM

I was about to build custom in the estates section of Carillon. The developer is VERY difficult to work with and they kept pushing us to close sooner than we were ready to. We could barely get the plans in from the architect and builder... they kept pushing us to close despite our team not being ready to.

Turns out, they were pushing us to close because they didn't want us to get whiff of the breaking news - Lennar just bought the rest of the phases of Carillon. Shady people...

Once I heard that - "Adios, Carillon!"

You can keep your $5,000 deposit, I'm not building custom in an area where the rest are tract builders.

And I had a great lot, I was across the lake.

I had a bad experience at Carillon - I would be very hesitant to buy custom there after what they put us through.

Last edited by pinipig523; 04-12-2013 at 02:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas