Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 06:31 PM

43 posts, read 117,457 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Dallas, we can make our Corporate Relo between now and end of October. I say whats the rush. My Wife says we need to get an address in a good good school district before school starts in September so we can get our 5yr old into kindergarten in time for the school year. We are planning on Dallas ISD, wouldn't they just make room for my child no matter when we come? My wife is planning on renting asap just to get an address when our plan is to buy a house. Is she right, could my child miss a year, he will be in Kindergarten in our current home until we make the move.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 07:16 PM

208 posts, read 335,835 times
I would call the specific school(s) you're interested in and ask.

I know in Richardson isd (suburb of Dallas) if you enroll over the summer and there isn't room in the school you're zoned for they send you to the next closest school that has room until the next year.

It would also probably be nice for your little one to not have to transition once school has already started, for what that's worth.

Best wishes on your move

Old 07-27-2012, 09:17 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhotdog View Post
I am relocating to Dallas, we can make our Corporate Relo between now and end of October. I say whats the rush. My Wife says we need to get an address in a good good school district before school starts in September so we can get our 5yr old into kindergarten in time for the school year. We are planning on Dallas ISD, wouldn't they just make room for my child no matter when we come? My wife is planning on renting asap just to get an address when our plan is to buy a house. Is she right, could my child miss a year, he will be in Kindergarten in our current home until we make the move.

Thanks
Your neighborhood school has to accept your kid, even if it's in October, but probably a better idea to get them in as soon as possible. School starts around Aug 27, not September. FYI.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:49 AM

Thank you. That helps a lot. So my wife is wrong that we could be left without I school (Don't know where she gets her ideas), happy to hear that . Good point that he may not get into the closest school if we delay and may have to transition following year. I'll get moving on it.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:16 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,480,689 times
Within DISD, I haven't heard of a kid not getting into their home school because it's crowded. Lakewood Elem is so crowded yet all the kids remain in their neighborhood school.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:18 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,480,689 times
Btw - do you know what schools you are targeting? Just want to make sure none are magnet schools.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
Btw - do you know what schools you are targeting? Just want to make sure none are magnet schools.
We haven't targeted any schools. We are planning to target a city based upon a reasonable commute to Dallas, good neighoorhoods and decent school system (doesn't have to be the 'best' just not known to be bad). So right now we are considering East Plano because there is the DART train nearby and we have not heard anything terrible about the schools. We want to stay in North Dallas because thats where most of the people we will know are (my wifes coworkers).

-Whats a magnet school?
-What do you think of our approach? We only have one child. He is entering Kindergarten, registering for school is new us.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:18 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,925,871 times
More important than the location is this point:

I vote with your wife on the timing. Especially for a kindergartner. No, he/she won't lose a year by moving in October, but it will create a traumatic situation that's easily avoidable. Why start off formal schooling in one location, then uproot the kid 6-8 weeks in and make him/her get used to a new teacher and new classmates? Much better to move earlier and spend the whole year at the same school.

---

As for the location, I think we need quite a few more clues to give you fully-baked advice.

1) Where exactly is the job located?
2) What kind of price range are you targeting for a home purchase? (Even though you're going to rent to start off, it will be easier for all concerned if you rent in a location where buying later on would be an option.)
3) What kind of kid is your child? Academic, athletic, gymnast/dancer, artistic, musical, outdoorsy, etc. I know it's young to tell, but different kids will thrive better in different environments.

I'm a little confused on the target area. You start off by saying you're looking at Dallas ISD. Then you say you're looking at east Plano (in Plano ISD). But then you re-state that you want to stay in north Dallas (which puts you back in Dallas ISD, or maybe in Richardson ISD). Then you toss in that you want to live by the DART (which creates another set of restrictions).

My best guess, based on what you've posted so far, is that Richardson ISD might be the best fit for you. Really good schools, DART runs right through the district, and closer to downtown than Plano.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:53 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post

I'm a little confused on the target area. You start off by saying you're looking at Dallas ISD. Then you say you're looking at east Plano (in Plano ISD). But then you re-state that you want to stay in north Dallas (which puts you back in Dallas ISD, or maybe in Richardson ISD). Then you toss in that you want to live by the DART (which creates another set of restrictions).

Agree. Need more info as all of the previous answers were based on you specifically asking about Dallas ISD. East Plano is not zoned to DISD and answers could vary based on the schools you are actually looking into vs Dallas ISD.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:01 AM

Thanks. This has happened rather suddenly I just found out 2 weeks ago that we are relocating to Dallas and I've never been there, so when my wife told me Dallas ISD I ASSumed it included all the local suburbs. I am trying to do some preliminary learning via this board before I go on the Relo house hunting sponsored trips. This discussion is very helpful! So Plano would be Plano ISD etc...

1. Job is located in Down Town Dallas near City Place Dart station.
2. Price Range is up to $300K. We currently live in 2400 sq ft home and like this size.
3. My son is athletic he would rather play sports than with an IPAD or his toys, he is used to learning since he went to a Daycare that emphasized reading and math at an early age. I would say he is not gifted but a healthy average.

I am liking Richardson too, now that you pointed it out and I have done some research. We initially focused on Allen/Plano due to my wife's colleagues suggestions who all live there. Now that I think of it, they are all from the North East and used are to 1-1/2 hour commutes.

Can you suggest a few Elementary schools for Plano and Richardson (keeping our home near a Dart station)

Thanks for all the help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas