Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 02:45 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times

Advertisements

Macbeth I think you would have liked the Dallas Times Herald, the newpaper which was not afraid to take on sacred cows. Schutze and Laura Miller used to write columns there...I was "the SMU Intern" for one summer and I enjoyed it immensely - I am always wary of The Dallas Morning News.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 03:01 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,496,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Macbeth I think you would have liked the Dallas Times Herald, the newpaper which was not afraid to take on sacred cows. Schutze and Laura Miller used to write columns there...I was "the SMU Intern" for one summer and I enjoyed it immensely - I am always wary of The Dallas Morning News.
Yep. My dad always subscribed to both, as well as the Wall Street Journal. He was a news junky. I don't trust DMN ever since they totally mis-reported an issue that I was completely in the know about.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:57 PM

931 posts, read 2,135,040 times
What is falling apart. Drive on any Dallas street and look at the patches made not by the street department but the water department. Much of the water that is being wasted is not due to watering but leaks in old and poor construction.

In East Dallas you run a gauntlet of pot holes and buckles in street that are tire cutters and undercarriage breakers. Its nice to know where they are. I don't see the service near as good for garbage pickup. If there is a problem with crime many times they take the info over the phone and never come to your home. The only police cars I see are the ones the neighborhood pays for. In Lake Highlands Burglars are robbing homes will the people are asleep in their beds.

Library Hours keep getting cut. The City seems to feel it is more important to cut from programs that are already there and working to add new ones mostly due to side deals made between council members for their pet projects. They are almost as bad as our Congress with pork.

They spend a lot of money on projects that are not as needed and take funding for the stuff that does. Why should the City be in the Hotel Business. I am not against enticing a business that will be good for employment and prestige with property tax breaks for a limited time.

I moved to Dallas in 1962 and for the most part saw good government, good police and fire, good roads. good public facilities.

Please tell me why the Dallas City keeps pouring money into the Cotton Bowl in order to have a few football games and a rock concert or two?

Old 08-03-2012, 06:23 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,435,073 times
Lakewooder- I was a fan of The Times Herald in High school. I enjoyed much of the paper, and was also just a fan of having 2 local papers.

Two events led me to stop trusting the DMN or taking them much more seriously than I do the observer. One was when they spent some time reporting the departure of Belo executives as if it were news. Their TV station also did this.) Another was when a friend wrote a letter to the editor criticizing them for taking positions without expressing all the facts. This was shortly after they bought and closed the Times Herald, and he closed his letter with. "It is upsetting to see this because you are now the only local paper." When printing the letter they omitted the words now and only.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:01 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,747,614 times
I sat on a board for a number of years that regularly worked with the city of Dallas and the civil service deferred to the council members and NOT the mayor or city manager. In contrast with the other city governments we worked with, it took Dallas ten times as long or never to get things done.

The AAC, the hotel, and the other items put in the last few years have done more to revitalize Dallas than anything. These show that a strong mayor and not a city council style of governance is what Dallas needs.

As for the DMN and the DO, both are anti-business. But I do like the DO because it does cover the facts in detail. If I want to know what is going on in Dallas, I get more out of the Dallas Business Journal.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:30 PM

922 posts, read 1,698,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete53FR View Post
If there is a problem with crime many times they take the info over the phone and never come to your home. The only police cars I see are the ones the neighborhood pays for. In Lake Highlands Burglars are robbing homes will the people are asleep in their beds.

Welcome to pretty much any large municipality in this country.

Despite what Mary Suhm tells the media the Police Dept. is undermanned and underfunded.

Also one of the easiest ways to reduce crime is to make it hard for a complainant to file a report.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:45 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,814 times
People still read the Observer??

Old 08-16-2012, 07:11 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
People still read the Observer??
Hell no.

It's just crap after crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: