Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 05:10 PM

3 posts, read 6,489 times

Advertisements

Hey guys...looking for some info on moving to Dallas. About me...I'm almost 28, single, and have never been to Dallas. I've done some pretty extensive searches but just wanna make sure I get it right before I move out there.
As far as income, starting off around 65k and up to about 125k in around 3 years. I'm your typical guy...I like drinking beer and watching sports, girls, being active, have a dog, love meeting new people, etc. I'm pretty much leaning towards Uptown based on it's entertainment. But I'm looking for any other thoughts you guys may have. The only thing I'm worried about with Uptown is I don't want to be around all pretentious, perfect people all the time. I like a woman that can go out in jeans and a t-shirt and not 5 inch heels everyday. Don't get me wrong, I like that too...but I want bars/restaurants that are relaxed as well. I like the more southern/country type women. This is pretty important due to the fact that I'm getting a little older, and am starting to look for somebody to settle down with.

Any thoughts/input are appreciated and it'll really help a guy out. Thanks everybody!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 05:42 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Where will you be working? DFW is known for lots of traffic, and Uptown isn't convenient to all parts of the metroplex.

Yes, Uptown is full of pretentious "$30k millionaires"...

Old 08-05-2012, 05:45 PM

60 posts, read 133,472 times
As far as entertainment, employment opportunities, and your age group...Uptown Dallas or some sector of the city nearby is where you probably need to live. Now if finding a country woman is your main priority, then you probably need to be out in Fort Worth somewhere.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:46 PM

20 posts, read 43,864 times
lower greenville area might suit you. you can find places near mockingbird or some cheaper lofts even.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:47 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,745 times
Though, to be fair there are other types of people in Uptown. As long as you keep your head on shoulders, you can take Uptown, and all the $30k millionaires, for what they are and keep moving. It does have a concentration of eateries/bars/shops and is one of the most urban areas of Dallas -- it's walkable by Dallas standards.

But, as ChristieP asks, where will you be working? If your job is in Plano, then Addison might be a better fit for you.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:50 PM

Yup....if you're gonna be working on the north side (like above Interstate 635), you will want to settle in Far North Dallas or pick a suburb like Addison, Richardson, or Carrollton depending on where the job is exactly.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:51 PM

3 posts, read 6,489 times
Thanks for all the quick replies so far guys!

I'll be working about a mile south of DFW international airport..

Old 08-05-2012, 06:00 PM

Ok, if distance and traffic is a priority for you....Go for the suburb, Irving. If you really want a Dallas address, look for places in Northwest Dallas (like Love Field area) and around Stemmons Freeway. That way, you can still commute to the airport area without a lot of nonsense traffic. Otherwise, you can still commute from Uptown, pretty much driving against traffic in the morning time.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:19 PM

764 posts, read 1,657,121 times
I'd post your inquiry to the Ft. Worth forum as well. You may find 'downtown' living in Ft. Worth to be a bit more laid back and not as "pretentious, perfect"

Old 08-05-2012, 07:51 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
If you are going to be working near DFW airport, both Dallas and Fort Worth will be long, traffic-filled commutes. So unless you can meet that special lady while sitting in your car, I wouldn't recommend living in either place.

Look at the Las Colinas area of Irving. It's close to your work, and there are a lot of other young professionals who live in the area. There are also quite a few bars and similar places there to hang out during the week. It's also close enough to Dallas and Fort Worth so you can go patronize the bars on weekends, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas