Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 08:56 AM

301 posts, read 1,062,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree View Post
Do all the Dallas area students have the day off today (Mon. 8th)? My dd wants to go and see the Jonas Bros. concert today - it's at 3 pm and she has off of school. My husband mentioned that students get the day off today for Fair Day. Thinking it's a place I really don't want to go today!
Well my kids are in Keller ISD and they were given free tickets for today, so I think it must be metroplex-wide...
Im sure it will be packed. With it being Columbus Day, most people are out of work and kids out of school with their free tickets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 09:05 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,761,665 times
Thanks Daisies ... my kids didn't mention free tickets ... hhmm, I'll have to ask them! Maybe I can hope for rain, heeheee :-)

Old 10-08-2007, 09:23 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,287,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyVet08 View Post
What has happened to Dallas?

So if you try to save an extra $11 you are coined "deserving poor"?!?

I have read a lot of the posts on this forum, and I am speechless at how snooty a lot of people seem. Maybe I am just a true Texan, and there are so many non Texans filling these forums that I am disillusioned.

I feel when I get home I will be crucified if I change my oil in the driveway. I mean, why not pay $29.00 to have a guy with no mechanical skills cross thread your drain plug.

What has happened to my hometown?

*EDIT* Did you ever think that since the tickets are useless outside the gate that people that had excess were being friendly and just handing them out?
I do that, too.

Yes, alot of non Texans in DFW these days. A poster in another thread didn't understand why I was glad whenever I hear a Texas accent while out because at times I feel like I'm in another state. I see you're stationed in Guam. My dad is originally from Guam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by numba1hater View Post
So, let me get this straight. YOU are gonna tell me how I was feeling or what MY mood was when I went to the state fair? How the heck do you know this? Oh, you just make stupid assertions because you can't possibly believe that someone out there doesn't like the GHETTO FAIR?. You're mind reading abilities suck. Anyone else out there want to tell me how much I should have enjoyed the ghetto fair just because you did?

Good job.
Well, that's your opinion obviously, the point was that you were very rude about it. What kind of reaction did you expect after that tirade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
We went last night and stayed about 4 hours. We only had time to let the kiddies go on rides and grab some food. There were some cheesesteaks that were awesome, the best I've had in Texas so far. We had the famous Fletcher's corn dogs and man were they gross... tasted like turkey franks or something. They need to get some Nathans or Sabrett hot dogs at the next fair for all of us former new yorkers
Um, no, we're in Texas so we'll stick with what we like best, thank you very much!

Old 10-08-2007, 10:58 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisies76 View Post
Well my kids are in Keller ISD and they were given free tickets for today, so I think it must be metroplex-wide...
Im sure it will be packed. With it being Columbus Day, most people are out of work and kids out of school with their free tickets.
Diffirent school districts in the area each have a different day for Fair Day. If you look in the Dallas morning news for the Fair Guide it will usually say which ISD has their Fair Day that day. In Garland ours was last Tuesday and Rockwalls was on Wednesday. I don't dare go on the Dallas ISD high school day ! I believe they have a totally different day for just the high schools in the Dallas ISD. Your childs free ticket can be used on ANY WEEKDAY starting on the day of their Fair Day. So if you don't go today on their Fair Day you can use it on another weekday.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:59 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Well Philip went after me in another thread -- he pours out Dr Peppers? Well that may explain a few things!

Usually the Dallas Fair Days are on Fridays - one is for elementary and middle school, the next Friday is for high school. We would wear our letter jackets no matter how hot it was...

Old 10-08-2007, 05:16 PM

709 posts, read 3,473,582 times
We went to the fair today around 10:00 and it was extremely crowded around the 2:00 hour. We went down their on the rail line from Parker...which I highly recommend except for the wait we had at City Place. Once on the bus at City Place it isn't too bad and they let you off at the main entrance to the fair.

Lewisville and Carrollton both had fair day today (Columbus Day) :-). At least my son and I (I get a free ticket, too) got in free.

Once in the gate...yikes! I'd hate to have more than one kid. Everything adds up so much. My son is five and just received his first fair ticket this year. He of course came home from school asking when we were going to go. He wanted to do everything and I'm sure this is just the beginning of our adventures at the State Fair. I need to start a "State Fair" savings account.

I'm a little bummed as I never found the "fried guacomole". I thought that was one of the fair treats this year. My son is quite glad I didn't as he thought that sounded "disgusting." Kids!

Old 10-08-2007, 08:39 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,148,973 times
My family and I "tried" to go today! MISTAKE!! There was nowhere to park and it was EXTREMELY crowded. We turned around and came home. Took them to the movies instead. We were one of three families there
We will attempt it next week on Wednesday evening. I HATE crowds.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:56 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,761,665 times
>>My family and I "tried" to go today! MISTAKE!! There was nowhere to park and it was EXTREMELY crowded. We turned around and came home. Took them to the movies instead. We were one of three families there<<

I read that there were 22 school districts off today!

Old 10-10-2007, 01:39 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,545,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyVet08 View Post
What has happened to Dallas?

So if you try to save an extra $11 you are coined "deserving poor"?!?

I have read a lot of the posts on this forum, and I am speechless at how snooty a lot of people seem. Maybe I am just a true Texan, and there are so many non Texans filling these forums that I am disillusioned.

I feel when I get home I will be crucified if I change my oil in the driveway. I mean, why not pay $29.00 to have a guy with no mechanical skills cross thread your drain plug.

What has happened to my hometown?

*EDIT* Did you ever think that since the tickets are useless outside the gate that people that had excess were being friendly and just handing them out?
We went again this Tuesday.

But first the PC footnotes . . .

geeezzz, Navyvet -- come down off your cross, we need the wood.

Of course the folks that give us tickets are just being friendly. And without bragging our kids look and act adorable. They got good looks from momma, and I bust their butts if they are ever rude to anyone -- so people tend to "gush" over them because they look and act charming.

That was why I say we LAUGH when we call ourselves "deserving poor" -- the whole Dallas atitude thang is a joke to us. But since my "good" truck is 13 years old and I still wear cut-off jeans and combat boots from almost 20 years ago, we sure look the part.

It is a joke. Lighten up. We did see our new favorite T-shirt there today, you might like it, too -- it said "Keep Dallas Pretensish" (sp?)

However, I made the mistake of dressing only a little better today -- and alas no free tickets. But we are cheap. That is why the Cheapskate Tuesdays is our day. Lakewooder can have hope for the future generations in that our 3 y.o. little man got hold of some of the Dr. Pepper and thinks it is good stuff.

Now for the good stuff --

He also got to meet and greet the Human Cannonball today after his shot today. The guy picked our 3 y.o. up and held him for pictures. Our kid was star-struck. Never at a loss for words, but he could hardly talk. Tonight the trip home was -- "He said" and "I said" and then "He said." Still going on in his head when we tucked him in tonight.

A HIGHLY recommended add to our prior list -- World on a String -- puppet show. Class act. The House of Cards is a worthy look at, as well. Kids had fun at the build your own Sand Castle, too.

We did the Bird Show, too, but really the kids were not that much into it. I thought it was cool -- they let an eagle go from the top of the Ferris Wheel, and he swoops right into the show.

And something we have talked about but never tried before. The Old Mill Restaurant. Another class act. Professional, kind folks, gentile and polite. The food was a bit limited for veggie types -- pretty much our household -- but it is worth it just for the people. We figured it would be crowded during the fair, but we stopped in right after the light parade, and no wait at all.

Some cotton candy on the way out and that did it for the State Fair for this year. Thank you, Dallas for another great run.

====================

A side note for folks that say it is a rip -- I agree it sure could be if you let it. We do not dump money on the midway or most of the rest of the garbage.

The thing that is great about the Texas State Fair is ALL THE STUFF THAT IS NOT THE MIDWAY, etc. The shows, the parade, the very unique display/exhibits.

You really have to study it ahead of time on the online info or the handout at the gate and focus on that stuff. Not only is most of that stuff free, it is great, and the kids love it. We have been to other State Fairs, and none we have found have all that.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:20 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Now how can you be cheap and pour out a perfectly good Dr Pepper (there's no ".")?

My Depression-raised parents had a cow anytime somebody opened a can of anything and didn't consume it all (or split it with someone)..sometimes kids today only take a sip or two. I will still drink the rest even if it has lost its 'fizz'!

Of course my late Daddy was also known to wash and re-use aluminum foil
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas