Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2012, 01:31 PM

2 posts, read 2,144 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm new to Dallas and liking it so far!

I was hoping to get a recommendation for a life insurance broker- I know this is one step above picking someone with a cool sounding name in the phone book but some first hand experience always helps.

I'm looking for a professional broker, not a professional salesman. Someone who will give it to me straight and listen to my needs.

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 01:43 PM

472 posts, read 1,097,099 times
Good luck finding that in Dallas. Working for an insurace TPA which we are broker driven, stay away from the big firms such as Willis or Mcqueary Henry Bowles Troy. Most don't deal with individual policies but some might sell it on the side. While we primarily deal with health, dental and vision I'll ask around. Often many health insurance brokers dabble in life as well.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:02 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,086,470 times
I've found MetLife to have some of the lowest priced policies around, and they are financially strong (which is important if they're going to be around 20-30 years from now and beyond.)

ING is also a big name, but their prices were a bit higher.

It's easy enough to go to MetLife's website, fill out some info, and they'll have a local agent contact you. Be prepared to have to take a physical if the amount you're looking for is above $250k. I recommend you go with Term Life if you already have a 401k/other investments for retirement income. Don't be fooled into going with a universal life policy... those things don't return near the amount a properly allocated stock and mutual fund portfolio will.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:52 PM

2 posts, read 2,144 times
Thanks. I'm absolutely going term life.

I'm specifically looking for an individual broker who will get me several quotes and write the policy. Insurance is one of the odd places where doing it yourself online does not get the best results.

[Mod] need at least 10 other posts to make specific recommendations[/mod]is where I do all the legwork. I'd just like whomever is going to make the year's premium worth of commission for filing the paperwork to not be some clown who is going to waste our time with some goofy sales trick from a 'guru' book.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 08-13-2012 at 10:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: