U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-16-2012, 01:02 PM

472 posts, read 483,930 times

Advertisements

Working in insurance the biggest problem is that people go to the ER for a sniffle. If it's not a dire emergency go to a walk in the doc or a minute clinic. There are all kinds of separate policies out there through companies like Afflac and Sun Life, such as a cancer policy, that will cover the majorty of your claims incurred.

There are options such as an FSA or HSA. An HSA you get to keep your money whether or not you use it where as an FSA that money is gone at the end of the year even if you don't use it all. There's a PPO plan, a limited plan, theres many options. Some more beneficial than others. It's all about what fits your budget.

If you don't have any pre-existing conditions and have had credible coverage then you might be able to keep it around the 100 dollar mark. Through my company which has BCBS I pay about 52 a pay period. I'm 24, no pre-existing.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 02:53 PM

18,750 posts, read 17,493,789 times
I pay about $380 for a $4k deductible policy with BCBS. OP, you would be very wise to get a high deductible policy just in case.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:02 PM

53 posts, read 52,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneWithDallas View Post
Working in insurance the biggest problem is that people go to the ER for a sniffle. If it's not a dire emergency go to a walk in the doc or a minute clinic. There are all kinds of separate policies out there through companies like Afflac and Sun Life, such as a cancer policy, that will cover the majorty of your claims incurred.

There are options such as an FSA or HSA. An HSA you get to keep your money whether or not you use it where as an FSA that money is gone at the end of the year even if you don't use it all. There's a PPO plan, a limited plan, theres many options. Some more beneficial than others. It's all about what fits your budget.

If you don't have any pre-existing conditions and have had credible coverage then you might be able to keep it around the 100 dollar mark. Through my company which has BCBS I pay about 52 a pay period. I'm 24, no pre-existing.
Geez, so many options and plans out there! If I talk to a company like Afflac, are they going to help me get the plan that works best for me, or are they going to exploit my ignorance of how health care works to screw me over?

Also as an individual, is there any way to get with a "group policy" with the IEEE or something (I work in the software industry if that helps)?

I really want to see what kind of insurance I can get for $100 per month, but have no idea about how to go about doing it other than just calling some companies and hoping they have my best interests in mind. I've tried to spend some time researching how health insurance works, but it's one of the most complicated systems I've ever tried to figure out... not as bad as the tax system, but a close second! And I'm in software... I'm used to figuring out convoluted systems, but the way healthcare works just seems so complicated! Lol

I don't really have any pre-existing conditions other than some stuff I was diagnosed with as a kid (like ADHD, but I've outgrown it and no longer take medication for it). I never get sick. Last time I even got a cold was five years ago. My wife has health insurance through her company, but she goes to the doctor all the time... she's kind of a hypochondriac, lol. It's too expensive to cover me (like an extra $400 per month!!!) through her insurance, so we decided to just forget about it since I never go to the doctor anyways. But I definitely do want catastrophic insurance just in case.

Thank you to everyone who took time to post advice... I really appreciate it guys!

Old 08-17-2012, 07:11 PM

16,484 posts, read 31,266,301 times
You nerd an independent insurance agent who can represent - or shop you to diifferent companies. I don't know of any but you can google and find some to call.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas