U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 12:48 PM

17 posts, read 70,422 times

Advertisements

I am unaware of the investment opportunities in Frisco, but it seems to me that boat left dock 10 years ago to get in on the cheap. However, I recently sold a four plex in Dallas for a nice gain after just 4 1/2 years. The secret is to find a property in the path of expansion. Frisco is a fairly north bedroom community that is pretty developed. For that I would wait on foreclosures in condos and homes which will be forthcoming in the next few years as folks with 0% down and adjustable morgages go upsidedown.

If I was just coming into this area I would look into South Dallas. Most people do not realize that the University of Texas at Dallas is building a brand new campus in South Dallas. Crime and bad economics kept folks out of South Dallas which had a flooding problem. The flooding problem is being addresss with the new Bond package and the Trinity River Project. Economics are changing because the land and existing properties are so affordable. Crime...well that comes with being close to downtown and will always be with you. Great opportunities for apartments and multi-tenant buildings near a campus like that. Like I said, most people don't even know about it--just the developers.

Realize that property does not appreciate here as fast as California, Vegas, East Coast, etc.....but if you find a gem in the area where the development is coming...there is your opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2006, 08:22 AM

3,002 posts, read 10,259,542 times
"The reason rent in the areas you mention is so high, is so that it will help to cover the high property taxes we have here. You need to do a lot more reaseach. Homes are reasonably priced here but keep in mind they appreciate in value very slowly."

The nicer areas in San Diego have Mello Roos, which are essentially additional property taxes. These can easily put you in the 1.5 to 2.0 percent bracket. Areas like Plano and Frisco (nice areas of DFW) are between 2.3-2.5 percent, but the homes cost well under 1/2 as much as they'd cost here. Then factor in the fact that you do not pay state tax (I paid about 12k in State last year in CA)...and that there are alot more high paying jobs out there in high tech industries (which is why rents are higher)....and better schools overall.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:26 AM

63 posts, read 162,787 times
Calm down, Mom. I feel your pain.

Old 06-24-2007, 04:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,901 times
Default Searching for home

I have a question if I may?
I noticed that there are many homes for rent in Plano Allen and a few in Frisco,problem is the rent is so high when there is property Manager involved.
How do you find private home owners that would like to rent the homes out???

SAMPLE 1 PLANO/ALLEN
All the houses I saw today for rent were like this:
Property Manager
3 Bedroom 2 Bath build in 1979 $1200-1400 per Month.

Sample 2 PLANO/ALLEN
Private home owner puts a for rent sign out in the front yard.

3 Bedroom 2 Bath build in 1979 $925-1,050 per Month.

Old 06-25-2007, 04:38 PM

I don't notice alot of rentals myself. Thought that was odd when I came here because renting made more sense for me based on my shorter horizon.

When I found rentals I liked they either cost too much or they vanished immediately. Rentals do very well here (about the same cost as Socal) because housing is so unpredictable. In many cases, it just makes more sense to rent as opposed to getting stuck in a home for 7 years before you can sell to break even.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:08 PM

16,005 posts, read 26,131,524 times
How to find private owners - look in the Dallas Morning News or on craigslist.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:45 PM

549 posts, read 1,543,540 times
or the for sale by owner site

Old 06-26-2007, 08:19 AM

2,395 posts, read 5,708,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Oh well, at least I'm right here in Texas where I love it more than anything. I don't care what the prices go to, I'm not leaving.
SSSsssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh............ the tax man might hear you and jack it up even more.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
How to find private owners - look in the Dallas Morning News or on craigslist.

THe Dallas Morning News doesn't seem to have much. We looked today and there are 3 homes in Plano and 3 in Mckinney for rent. That just seems wrong. Zillions of apartments, but few homes. Craiglist seems to have more, but not alot. I'm puzzled as to why there are not more home rentals.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:16 PM

313 posts, read 1,267,098 times
I debating renting... but the apartments here are so nice, if you plan to buy and stay long term, I think it's better to rent an apt until you buy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas