Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2012, 11:21 PM

7 posts, read 7,583 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving from Chicago to Dallas in mid-October and looking to get some help with where to live. I'll be working in Whitacre Tower downtown at S 208 Akard St. I want to stay fairly close to work and from what I've seen, I think I may be looking at Uptown or the Main Street District.

A little about me and my situation. I am 27 and married. We do have a 20lb dog so wherever we rent must allow small dogs. I currently live in Wicker Park in Chicago which is more 3 flat apartments than high-rises. I love the walkability of Chicago and rarely need to drive anywhere. I typically take public transportation everywhere or bike. Currently we only own one car and would like to keep I that way if possible.

From what I've heard, Uptown seems to be the place we'd fit in the best as far as age group and the walkability of the area. My concern is getting from there to work. Is it easily accessible by public transportation? How's parking in this area? Is the area more townhouse or high rises? How is crime in the area?

I've also been seeing some great high rise apartments in downtown Dallas, I believe called Main Street District or Historic District (please correct me if I'm wrong). What is living in this area like? How does it compare to Uptown? In Chicago, the downtown Loop area typically shuts down during the weekends since all of its business is from the offices in the area. Is this how the downtown Dallas area that I'm talking about is? How is parking in this area? What I like about most of the places I see in this area is that they seem to have rooftop decks, pools, and fitness centers all included. Plus the location is great because I could walk to work.

Any suggestions and feedback is greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 12:10 AM

343 posts, read 805,135 times
I think Uptown would be your best bet. The Main Street district in downtown is really just starting to turn into a good spot, but it isn't nearly as established as Uptown. There are a great couple of blocks with good restaurants and new lofts, etc but it is quite limited. There is still a lack in basic necessities and only one small grocery store. Uptown on the other hand is a thriving area for young professionals, with a large variety of restaurants, shops, and grocery stores.

The question about your commute depends on where you live in Uptown. As an area, Uptown ranges from 0 to about 3 miles from Downtown. So obviously, biking into downtown is a very viable option in itself. However, when weather does not permit, there are a few options besides driving. If you look a little farther north in Uptown, around the West Village and CityPlace, you are very close to a DART rail stop. The closer you look to this, the easier your commute will be via public transport. You can hop on the rail and be dropped off a short few blocks from your office. The only other Public Transport option (besides buses, which don't really make sense in this case) is the McKinney Avenue Trolley. If you live close to McKinney avenue, this will take you into the arts district which is not too far from your office, but still a walk. And this year they are expanding it even further into Downtown. That being said, it a slower and less efficient option than DART rail.

Uptown seems like a great fit for you all. It is by FAR the most walkable and vibrant part of the city. Good luck with the move and let me know if you have other questions!

Old 09-03-2012, 05:42 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times
There is a bus Route36 that runs through Uptown, on Blackburn (both ways) to US75 where it turns south on the feeder road. It's next stop is at the City Place underground (west side of 75, Target is on the east side of 75) search google maps for zip code 75204. That bus will then proceed to downtown where it runs down Elm St. You can exit the bus at Ackard and make the walk three streets over to HQ.

(OR) At City Place you can board the Dart Rail which will take you downtown as well, or head north to North Park Mall, or other points of interest. A monthly pass for bus/rail is $65. You can even use the rail to find your way to DFW or Fort Worth, with some effort.

Alternately, there is a trolley that runs from Uptown to the Arts District.

Living downtown on Main St. could be suitable but you may prefer the more active scene in Uptown. There is a WalMart Grocery at US75 and Hall St. intersection, an easy walk from some parts of Uptown. You will have no problems whatever using the bus/rail options.

Last edited by Willsson; 09-03-2012 at 06:00 AM..

Old 09-03-2012, 06:16 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,170,832 times
I'd go with Uptown, too. The free McKinney Avenue Trolley, which is in the process of being extended, can take you from Uptown into downtown as well. MATA - McKinney AvenueTransit Authority - M-Line

Uptown has a grocery store (Albertson's) and is closer to the Whole Foods in Oak Lawn (the next neighborhood over from Uptown), if you'd rather go there. There will also be a huge new Kroger, part of a residential development, across the Central Expressway from Uptown near CityPlace that should be opening soon.

Uptown also has a movie theater that plays a mix of mainstream and indie movies ([http://www.landmarktheatres.com/mark...hemagnolia.htm) and some clothes shopping at West Village West Village. Downtown is still lacking a lot of these amenities -- it's mostly restaurants and nightclubs.

And you can get around Uptown without a car. It's the one truly walkable neighborhood in Dallas. You've got the trolley, pedicabs (Giving you Rides in Uptown, West Village, and the American Airlines Center :: Dallas Pedicabs) and, on weekends at least, there are taxis everywhere.

The types of apartments in Uptown range from low-rise three and four-story buildings to high-rises. Most of the newer ones will have fitness centers and pools and those other amenities that the downtown buildings offer. And, yes, it's a safe area but, as with anywhere, especially an area where there may be lots of inebriated people wandering around after the bars close, you should use common sense. But, coming from Chicago, I'm sure you already know that.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:44 AM

7 posts, read 7,583 times
Thanks everyone!! This is exactly the information I was looking for.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:52 AM

326 posts, read 962,175 times
Uptown or Main Street District would both work well for you. You could also check out the Cedars/Southside area, which is seeing a lot of attention lately (and still very convenient to where your office will be).

I can't give you recommendations for Uptown, but I've lived in the Main Street District for 7 years. It can still be quiet in areas, but has been seeing a lot of focus with new parks, upcoming bike lanes, and more retail/restaurants catering to residents (instead of the weekend club crowd). When I first moved to the CBD it was a little TOO quiet and the homeless outnumbered the residents (making for some sketchy areas); it has seen quite the transformation. The past year about 10 new restaurants/bars have opened, and the Joule Hotel construction is bringing some luxury retailers adjacent to the flagship Neiman Marcus. Main/Elm/Commerce has the most action, and your office will be right in the heart of it all (Pegasus Plaza is the "center" of most activity).

There are a few other areas besides the Main Street District in the CBD with residents. The West End is more government/tourist focused; while there are apartments there it can seem isolated from other activity. The Farmers Market area, on the opposite end of the CBD, is nice but also isolated and more associated with Deep Ellum. The Arts District has a few residential buildings as well.

The Main Street District has a wide variety of properties ranging from historic lofts and luxury apartments. A lot of the larger properties have the same management companies as those in Uptown, so the amenities will be very similar. The building I'm in is a smaller historic structure recently turned into apartments; most of the residents in my building are recent transplants from other cities. While prices in the CBD used to be cheaper than Uptown, today they are about equal (with low vacancy).

With the new Klyde Warren Park (projected to have an impact similar to Chicago's Millenium Park) and streetcar extensions, Downtown/CBD and Uptown are beginning to merge. Both are very walkable and I know of several residents that no longer have a vehicle (or just a scooter/bicycle). There are also good dog parks nearby (Main Street Garden, Deep Ellum Dog Park, Meadows Dog Park) and plenty of museums/cultural activities accessible by both neighborhoods.

As far as Uptown transportation, the streetcar from Uptown will extend as far south as St Paul Station in a few years, but that isn't really going to get you to your office. If you lived closer to Cityplace/West Village you'd be able to hop on DART rail to Akard Station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas