Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 09:51 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaladh View Post
Lol. Too bad I don't have a phone that can take pictures :-D. Really, people with big pickup trucks sometimes don't know how to park, and the nearer you go to uptown, the truest it is! XD

Speaking about turning signals instead, I noticed that not using them is the most troublesome bad habit the drivers have here. So many times I barely avoided the crash with people that "ambush" me on the lane, snapping out of a queue of cars. Of course, I understand their attitude considering that, like someone else wrote already, if you use the turn signal, people accelerate to prevent you from entering.

Other unsafe practices I see in my hours on the streets:
-high beams, straight to my eyes or to my rear view mirrors. I understand many streets lack of lighting, but making other people blind is not nice or safe.
-safety distance. No, 2 feet from my ass is not enough, even when the traffic is slow. The bigger the car, the bulliest the driver, isn't it?
-crazy acceleration for short distances. from 0 to 40mph in two seconds. If I think we are going and I don't see if you have cars in front of you, I will accelerate as well. I might not be so sharp to brake in time when you do, though.
-overloading your pickup? Fine with me, but please fix your load! I don't want to dodge a barrel of paint while driving 70mph on the North Tollway (actually happened).
Yes to all of this...plus, HANG UP THE PHONE WHEN YOU'RE DRIVING. SERIOUSLY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 12:59 PM

472 posts, read 1,097,687 times
I really wish they would make texting illegal while driving. I'm 24 and refuse to do it. I think it's just as dangerous as drinking and driving.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:46 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,056,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneWithDallas View Post
I really wish they would make texting illegal while driving. I'm 24 and refuse to do it. I think it's just as dangerous as drinking and driving.
Agreed, but it would probably be hard to enforce. If you just hold the phone down low, it's going to be hard for a cop to see and even if he did, you could just say you were using it as a GPSr. On the other hand, if you caused a fatal wreck and they found the phone with half a text written out, maybe they could get you for negligent homicide.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:39 PM

64 posts, read 167,035 times
I came to think that people in Dallas feel tremendously lonesome when driving. They MUST speak or text to someone! :-D
In Italy, driving while using the cell phone is illegal and you will get a ticket because of that. Is considered a minor infraction, though.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:25 PM

681 posts, read 1,671,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaladh View Post
Lol. Too bad I don't have a phone that can take pictures :-D. Really, people with big pickup trucks sometimes don't know how to park, and the nearer you go to uptown, the truest it is! XD

Speaking about turning signals instead, I noticed that not using them is the most troublesome bad habit the drivers have here. So many times I barely avoided the crash with people that "ambush" me on the lane, snapping out of a queue of cars. Of course, I understand their attitude considering that, like someone else wrote already, if you use the turn signal, people accelerate to prevent you from entering.

Other unsafe practices I see in my hours on the streets:
-high beams, straight to my eyes or to my rear view mirrors. I understand many streets lack of lighting, but making other people blind is not nice or safe.
-safety distance. No, 2 feet from my ass is not enough, even when the traffic is slow. The bigger the car, the bulliest the driver, isn't it?
-crazy acceleration for short distances. from 0 to 40mph in two seconds. If I think we are going and I don't see if you have cars in front of you, I will accelerate as well. I might not be so sharp to brake in time when you do, though.
-overloading your pickup? Fine with me, but please fix your load! I don't want to dodge a barrel of paint while driving 70mph on the North Tollway (actually happened).
I will keep these tips in mind, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Yes to all of this...plus, HANG UP THE PHONE WHEN YOU'RE DRIVING. SERIOUSLY!
I agree with you on this but people need to be conditioned to not use the cell while driving, unless you are using blue tooth, or speaking using the cars speaker system. Other than that TX needs to pass a law banning cell phone use or texting while driving, and really enforce it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneWithDallas View Post
agreed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas