Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2012, 06:11 AM

7 posts, read 7,554 times

Advertisements

I posted earlier in the month about how my wife and I are relocated to Dallas from Chicago mid-October. We've narrowed our search down to the Uptown area and I think we've decided on an apartment. Before making the decision I wanted to get everyone else's opinion. The unit would be the Thirty377 units at 3377 Blackburn St. Unfortunately I don't think I'll have time to visit before the move so I'm doing this with the help of a friend in the area and lots of online research. How is the area surrounding these apartments? Primarily, is it safe? Some reviews we've found on the units talk about break-ins but I want to know if that's just the standard crime you'll see in any big city or if this is actually in a shadier area. My wife is a big runner so being near Katy trail is a big plus as long as things are safe. We are also pretty laid back so we like the idea of not being directly on McKinney, yet close enough to walk there.

Also, has anyone lived in these units before and if so, what is your opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 08:18 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,181,461 times
Premium location. Go for it. This is part of the upscale Uptown area.

Just across Turtle Creek at Oak Lawn/Lemmon is a take out deli, http://eatzis.com/

And there's a bus stop on Blackburn that goes to CityPlace where you can board the DART Rail to downtown or north to North Park Mall, or other great places.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:26 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,624,295 times
I can't speak to that particular set of units, but it is a PRIMO location.
The only crime to speak of is similar to anywhere you have a lot of people living close together.

Good luck with your move.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:21 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,168,136 times
Fabulous location! My condo is a few blocks away and I lived there - and loved it- while I was single. It has always rented within 1 week when I've had it on the market....just to give you an idea of how desirable the neighborhood is.

Yes, in Uptown apartment complexes - well, in almost any apartment complex anywhere- there is the chance of petty crime so just remember to always take/ lock/ hide (ie, take or completely hide your valuables when you leave the car and ALWAYS lock your car, even if you're in it).

You will love being right on the Katy Trail and just a block from the West Village. Well chosen!

Old 09-20-2012, 01:00 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,729,457 times
I used to live/work off Oaklawn. Its even nicer now than back then. You will really enjoy that area. The apts look great.

Turtle Creek to Lakeside Park is much better than Katy Trail for running. Most of the running clinics in town are conducted at White Rock Lake.

The crime rate is much lower than Chicago. Mostly break-ins to cars. Some apartment break ins when no one is home. I'd get a dog or a security system to prevent the latter.

A lot less "interviewing" is conducted these days when you are walking around. Most of the "violent" crime is committed by unleashed dogs or out of control bikers.

I know of just one person who was mugged walking home late at night. He was attacked out of the blue and the fight went to ground. This person carried a knife and got it out and the mugger ran away. Dallas PD said the knife prevented a much worse beating.

If you are really worried about crime, then arm yourself. This is TX after all.

I usually carry a 3 inch folding knife when I am running, mostly for dogs, and a larger blade when I am out and about. If you run when its dark, then I recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas