Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 05:18 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,595,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoTX View Post
Thanks for the info...but how do I find the flight paths to DFW?
Look at a map - the runways are long and straight. Also, your agent should be able to tell. In fact, do yourself a favor and ask to see a home in the path, then go there one day when the wind is blowing in the right direction (planes take off and land into the wind). You will understand exactly why you don't want to be in that path. It's a good educational experience.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 05:40 PM

791 posts, read 2,222,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys
I want to add that in my experiences, people moving from Michigan have found a Texas fit more easily than transplants from other parts of the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
Do you know why that is?
Judging from their personalities, I took it to be a natural occurrence. Can you enhance the inference?

Old 10-09-2007, 01:05 PM

1,298 posts, read 4,286,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys View Post
Judging from their personalities, I took it to be a natural occurrence. Can you enhance the inference?
Just curious. In my observation some of them have looked down on Texans, making fun of the way we talk, etc. Sometimes they seem a little arrogant but that's just anecdotal. Perhaps I've just met a few bad apples.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:22 PM

506 posts, read 2,149,188 times
We've lived in SW Arlington for almost 15 years and love it. Our kids attend the best schools in town and everybody knows everybody else, it seems. We have no complaints except that some try to compare Arlington (a regular city of 350,000 - very rich to very poor people) to neighboring cities of much smaller sizes and more homogeneous demographics. Unfortunately, we have some of the same ills any city that size would have but most of the problem areas are on the east side along Highway 360. This is the side of town that those from Dallas see when they go to Six Flags or a Ranger game and many judge the whole city on what they see over there - and I would, too, frankly, if I didn't know better.

The SW part of town (generally west of Cooper St. straddling I-20, including Dalworthington Gardens) is a stable area nestled in the forests and criss-crossed with natural creeks and ponds. Pretty, stable neighborhoods include the Wimbledon area, Dalworthington Gardens and the Perkins Road corridor along Lake Arlington with its hilly, wooded terrain. Another good area is Shady Valley Country Club, which is really more W side than SW side, but they all flow together. Realtors will tell you that anything within the Martin High School attendance zone is desirable. Until a couple years ago when the state changed the way they grade schools, every single school in our part of the city (every elementary, both junior highs and Martin HS) were ALL rated exemplary. We have tremendous parental involvement and about the only thing that bugs us is that many in town think Martin is nothing but rich kids. That's not true, of course, but it's hard to not think that when the student parking lot includes numerous BMWs, Hummers, Mercedes convertibles and numerous tricked-out pickups. Heavy sigh.

You won't find many in the Dallas forum that like Arlington and I've read many hurtful things here about where I live. Interestingly, I was raised in Dallas and thought the same things until I moved here to be closer to Fort Worth. I wouldn't rule out Southwest Arlington, especially if you're going to work nearby.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:20 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
OP--regarding Keller--probably not the best choice ---bad traffic trying to get to Arlington from Keller--no real straight drive and Keller itself does have horrible reputation for traffic jams--most of what you are seeing for affordable, newer homes is probably around 377/35 area ---there are quite a few foreclosures in there -- ISD taxes are second highest in Tarrant co I think and city taxes are right up there with Southlake---schools are under lot of stress from dealing with all the growth and infighting between school board and superintendent (which the last SB election has sort of calmed down....Many homes listed in Keller are actually in FTW --they just use KEller address because of being in Keller ISD and as a marketing ploy because Keller has rep for more upscale, desireable and FTW doesn't...

Runway noise in Southlake and Grapevine coming over the 114 interchange in Grapevine for the most part from the north/east--Locations around Hall Johnson and 114 get some flight noise but most of it is north of 114/1709

we live in N Bedford and there are times we can hear planes--more on takeoff than landing--just depends on the wind...

Taxes in Arlington are a concern--they are asking for new tax hike to hire more policemen --don't you think it would be nice if Jerry Jones bought some of those for the city considering how many it will take to facilitate the traffic into and out of the new Cowboy Stadium???
There are some lovely areas of Arlington on North and SW side---but there are pockets of section 8 housing scattered around the city--my daughter taught at West Elementary s off 360 by Grand Prairie and she really liked it--left because she married and moved out of state---it was a good school but lots of free-lunch and minority students...Arlington has increasing number of immigrants (even though it does not have a public transit system)...Martin HS did not have very many Nat'l Merit Semi Finalists this year --- which I think might be sign that better students are moving out of district--either to private schools or to outlying suburbs like Mansfield...
The south part of Arlington by Parks Mass and Mansfield is growth area--Dalworthington Gardens is a town--not a subdivision of Arlington...just as Pantego is a town surrounded by Arlington...

Last edited by loves2read; 10-10-2007 at 06:31 AM..

Old 11-18-2007, 08:04 PM

2 posts, read 3,198 times
We are also relocating from MI to the Arlington area. People I have spoken with have highly recommended the Mansfield school district with Boren and Tipps being two of the best elementary schools. What are others' opinions?

THX
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas