U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 09:34 AM

51 posts, read 38,825 times
Default I need to choose a electricity provider today!

I need to choose one today. What is the best one to go with. I am new to this whole deregulated thing and all these companies are making my head spin. Which one should I go with for good service, good billing practices, and the least amount of fees. I don't necessarily want the cheapest, I want the one that provides the best service and treats customers right and doesn't charge a bunch of hidden fees and try's to ********* over. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 09:40 AM

6,823 posts, read 9,533,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt79 View Post
I need to choose one today. What is the best one to go with. I am new to this whole deregulated thing and all these companies are making my head spin. Which one should I go with for good service, good billing practices, and the least amount of fees. I don't necessarily want the cheapest, I want the one that provides the best service and treats customers right and doesn't charge a bunch of hidden fees and try's to ********* over. Thanks.
We have switched around quite a bit based on most consistent price for greatest length of time. Never have had an issue with any of them.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:40 AM

5,145 posts, read 3,779,266 times
Power to Choose

There are quite a few to choose from. Practically any will be okay. But will bend you over a barrel if you're late. Have had good an bad experiences w/ TXU, Choice, and Summer. However, they're just the "providers". Your actual electricity comes from Oncor or TXU in the N. Texas area. It's best to try and find a decent rate w/ a term/fee structure that you're most comfortable with. Right now you could do a 6-mo that will take you to March, and then try to get into a great contract to take you through Sept at a lower rate. March & April are best mo's to renew. Before summer and goes through first part of Sept, where you may or may not get super low rate based upon how hard summer was.

Good luck.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:41 AM

4,320 posts, read 7,935,443 times
powertochoose.com puts it all out there so nothing should be hidden.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:22 AM

Was thinking of going with Ambit, have heard good things about them. Anybody have any feedback? She told me a year contract.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:46 AM

Holy Cow!!! Who has the time to go through all the terms of service on each one of those companies! There must be a hundred of them.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:06 AM

4,320 posts, read 7,935,443 times
Most people don't go through all of them. They do a search one of a couple of ways. The first is by cheapest and reading the cheapest 3-4 terms. Another way is by Green energy or not. There aren't very many Green providers compared to regular, and with Green, you then narrow down to cheapest. The last way people narrow down is by cheapest and shortest contract needed. Read the main 2-3, go from there. You don't need to read the terms of each and every one. If you know you're not going to pay those higher rates, eliminate them upfront.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Most people don't go through all of them. They do a search one of a couple of ways. The first is by cheapest and reading the cheapest 3-4 terms. Another way is by Green energy or not. There aren't very many Green providers compared to regular, and with Green, you then narrow down to cheapest. The last way people narrow down is by cheapest and shortest contract needed. Read the main 2-3, go from there. You don't need to read the terms of each and every one. If you know you're not going to pay those higher rates, eliminate them upfront.
Reliant is a good stable company, anybody use them? Also, the green engergy companies...is that a tax write off possibly?

Old 10-01-2012, 12:02 PM

850 posts, read 852,542 times
Use powertochoose.org not the commercial powertochoose.com. One is state and other makes money off of people who use it.

I have had good luck recently with reliant. Be sure and look at how long the contract will last it is important as rates are lower than usual. By the way I would look for 7 to 8 cents a kilowatt.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:22 PM

5,145 posts, read 3,779,266 times
I used reliant and they were okay. Very easy to deal with and great service with emails and helpful hints at different times of season. But really are not competitive unless you're doing a short-term deal (3-6 mo's).

I'm using a provider now that's @ 6.5/Kwh (w/ 20% wind energy) that will take me to early March. Most of the competitive ones are in the low 7 area, however most are not renewable energy.

Should take no more than 30-45 minutes if you're going through a lot of companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas