U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 12:11 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,857,818 times

Advertisements

Getting into Hockaday in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th grade is basically a numbers game. There are 48 spots. If 2 girls leave, it opens up 2 spots. If all of the girls stay, there are no spots no matter how bright the student. Traditionally, I think you can say that 2-3 girls leave every year. Some of the parents relocate to other cities, some of the parents realize early that their daughter cannot keep up, and some of the parents can't/won't spend the money. If you are interested in next year, I would call and continue to show interest.

Finally, I would say that you are doing far more than most Hockaday parents. A handful of the girls do Kumon, but certainly not the majority. If your daughter has to wait till 5th grade, I am sure that she will be able to handle the school work. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 01:21 PM

5 posts, read 14,488 times
Thank you, everyone. This information is very helpful. We will have a meeting with her teacher soon, so hopefully our concerns will be addressed and this will become a non-issue. As I understand it, kindergarten is a small admit class at Hockaday anyway, so the timing isn't great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post

Now, the more difficult question, do private schools hold grudges? Specifically, are you hurting your sons' chances of being admitted to the same school that your daughter currently attends if she switches to Hockaday? My gut feeling is that it is a definite possibility. For example, we have friends who have a daughter in middle school at Hockaday. When she was applying for pre-k programs, she applied at Hockaday and Greenhill. She choose Hockaday over Greenhill. The younger brother applied a couple of years later. Despite the younger brother having substantially higher scores (he was off the chart), Greenhill denied his admission (he was admitted to St. Marks and every other school). Did Greenhill deny his admission because his parents declined to send his sister there- that is a real possibility. Did Greenhill deny his admission because it just assumed the brother would pick St. Marks over it? Who knows...
Unfortunately that was my gut feeling as well. Whether because of outright hostility to us or something less, I assume that we would be killing any chance to have our sons attend the school she is currently attending.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:02 AM

3 posts, read 6,404 times
I know this is an old conversation but I hate that it ended this way implying something I know is NOT true about Greenhill. My child was offered admission to Lamplighter and Greenhill in kindergarten. Although I loved the middle and most especially the upper school at GH, my preference for lower school was LL. I also felt like GH would be the school for the future but how can you really know who your 4 year old will become at 10. Several other parents frankly told me, as if it were common knowledge, that if I declined Greenhill, we would never get accepted again. I believed I should do what felt best for my child at that moment. If GH wasn't a good fit in fifth or GH thought we were not a good fit in fifth so be it. We declined GH, sent the kid to LL for a wonderful "hug 'em in, hug 'em out" lower school experience. For fifth grade we applied (the same kid who declined in kindergarten) broadly (just in case ;-), but got GH admission. No grudge.

It is ALWAYS in a school's best interest to get the very best students available. As long as you are involved and honestly trying to do the best thing for your child (and NOT trash talking needless to say), I do not believe "schools hold grudges". The other thing to consider is GH attempts to balance genders so for any given year the applicant pool may be more competitive for one or the other and the competitiveness of the applicant pool will also vary year to year i.e. You can't compare scores for different genders even the same year let alone different genders different years. I have known kids accepted to Hockaday or St Marks and declined at GH. I've known kids accepted at GH declined at SM or H. It is not only test scores. They are looking for kids they expect to thrive at their school and the kid who thrives at one place might not at another.

Always choose the best option for your individual child available to you. Do not listen to what other people say is "the best" school. You know your child better than anyone else. You know what feels like a good fit for your child. Also don't assume your child will finish at the school he or she starts in 1st grade. Most importantly, please choose the school that is right for your child not the school you want your child to be right for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or