Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 01:22 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,927,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
If you call the counselor office at individual high schools you might get that info
This. Your best bet is if you can sweet-talk them into a "Naviance login" to let you access the same info the current students have as to historical success rates the school has had for assorted universities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Most high schools have their "School Profile" on the website. It is a 1-pager they attach with college applications that gives a snapshot of the school's demographics and academic achievements (SAT, NMSF), and also a list of colleges where recent grads matriculated.
HP and the privates list colleges, but I don't know of any other districts that do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree View Post
:: Highland Park ISD - (1) Brown, (2) SMU :: HP's #3 class of 2012 went to Stanford. I *think they have one in the class of 2013 going to Harvard.
There's Early Decision, but October? That's a bit much to buy. At best, you could have a heavily-recruited athlete with a "likely" letter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post

All of PISDs went Ivy.
Only if Duke and Stanford are also Ivies. Anyway, from your vantage point, wouldn't MIT and Caltech be far superior to the fuzzy-wuzzy education offered at the Ivies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
What's up with everyone going to A&M? Not that anything is wrong with that Aggie fans just curious.
Valedictorian = Guaranteed full tuition freshman scholarship at TAMU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 01:28 PM

350 posts, read 749,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post

Only if Duke and Stanford are also Ivies. Anyway, from your vantage point, wouldn't MIT and Caltech be far superior to the fuzzy-wuzzy education offered at the Ivies?

I would note that the PESH salutorian who went to Duke got a full ride there, and turned down Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and Stanford. But yes, it is not an Ivy. I think many of the PISD students also got into MIT but chose not to go.

And yes, the earliest you know you've been accepted to Harvard would be December for current seniors.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:52 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:

HP and the privates list colleges, but I don't know of any other districts that do that.
You have to dig (it's usually under College Counseling on the websites), but quite a few of the publics do post their profiles:
Here is Coppell's, for example:
http://www.coppellisd.com/cms/lib07/...ile2012-13.pdf

Old 10-14-2012, 09:04 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,748,197 times
Quote:
Only if Duke and Stanford are also Ivies. Anyway, from your vantage point, wouldn't MIT and Caltech be far superior to the fuzzy-wuzzy education offered at the Ivies?.
Depends. Stanford and Caltech are often called the West Coast Ivies. But neither school is as stuck up and Caltech is definitely a much harder school than any of the Ivies. Harvey Mudd is another great Engineering school on the West Coast, too.

A lot of my Fab friends have undergrad/grad degrees from Stanford. Great all around school. Much more open to different ideas and the faculty is intellectually diverse.

If I had to do it again and money was not an issue, I'd go to Caltech for my undergrad and Stanford for grad school.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:32 PM

210 posts, read 303,653 times
PISD...impressive schools for val/sal. Coppell's list for 3 graduating classes is as well. No Haaaaaarvard, though.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:21 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Here's one for Woodrow Wilson High:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas