U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 06:16 PM

1,494 posts, read 1,450,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Phoenix or Frisco?

So now big trees, creeks and a lake are minuses? Incidentally mosquitos don't bother me, I must taste sour or something...
No, they(mosquitoes) just got tired of hearing the H.L. Hunt story, that's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 10:26 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,103,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeidiBruno View Post
Hi everyone,
Our family will be relocating next summer to Texas from southern CA (from the east coast originally) With that said we're not sure which area would better suit our needs and wants.
First we were set on the North Dallas suburbs but recently we've been considering Austin. Heard the weather is more timid, landscape is prettier but it costs more to live.
We are a family of four (two kids 3 and 6 months) and more to come in a couple of years
I want to have everything we can't have here in So Cal
Large house 2500 sq ft (2 car garage,driveway (yes they are hard to come by here), large kitchen, yard.) I want a custom home and hopefully can have most of what I want here without having our neighbors house 10 feet away.
Education is VERY important to us. We've always wanted to send our kids to private schools but it's too costly here. Public schools are fine as long as they are great!
Family friendly neighborhoods and people
Close to grocery stores, dept stores, pet stores,restaurants
Parks, kid friendly activities (zoo,aquarium,train park etc...) running trails,lakes,golf

The downfalls I've read about Texas are:
High property taxes
Utility costs
Houses tend to be too large = big a/c or heating bills
I think that's about it.

We currently live in Orange County Ca and if anyone is familiar they know it's one of the most expensive counties in Ca. Gas is $4.65 gallon, buying a home is next to impossible below $500,000 even in the down market, taxes are high, car registration for two cars is $600 per yr, groceries (no place doubles or triples coupons)Everything is expensive. We are renting an older 1400 sq ft townhome with 3 bedrooms 2.5 baths 2 car garage and small patio for $2100.

I think we'll find most of the expenses in Texas are less except utility bills. Water and trash bills seem to be quite a bit more. We pay $30 per qtr for trash and recycling. It seems like that is the normal monthly bill in Tx. Is that correct? And we pay about $25 a month in water. That's with four of us showering daily and 4-5 loads of laundry per week. Granted we have no lawn to water but I've read some people pay $100 a month for water....

The areas we are looking at in Austin are Pflugerville, Cedar Park, Round Rock. The areas in Dallas are Plano,Frisco,McKinney, Allen.

I've tried to do as much reading online about Tx and both Cities but it's so hard when we don't know anyone there.

As far as employment goes, my husband will be retiring as a Gunnery Sgt from the Marines and will be transitioning into a law enforcement career and I will be looking for work in either the corporate apparel or home industry. I know Dallas is home to the Market Center and Jcpenneys HQ in Plano. Are ther any others that i'm missing? Are there any corp apparel, home or acessory offices in Austin? Do they pay more in one city vs th other?

Thanks so much!
JCP just laid off 29% of its Plano headquarters. My aunt got laid off from their warehouse back in the spring time.

Might wanna nix that idea.

J.C. Penney Lays Off 350 Workers at Texas Headquarters | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

As for other home & fashion places, Pier 1 Imports is headquartered in Ft. Worth, Michaels home interior is in Irving, Zales Diamond Store is also in Irving, Fossil is in Richardson, Tuesday Morning home decor is in Dallas, Haggar mens clothing is in Dallas, & of course Neimans.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 10-23-2012 at 10:38 PM..

Old 10-24-2012, 11:12 AM

23,991 posts, read 32,810,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
JCP just laid off 29% of its Plano headquarters. My aunt got laid off from their warehouse back in the spring time.

Might wanna nix that idea.

J.C. Penney Lays Off 350 Workers at Texas Headquarters | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

As for other home & fashion places, Pier 1 Imports is headquartered in Ft. Worth, Michaels home interior is in Irving, Zales Diamond Store is also in Irving, Fossil is in Richardson, Tuesday Morning home decor is in Dallas, Haggar mens clothing is in Dallas, & of course Neimans.
Isn't Dickies in Fort Worth?

Old 10-24-2012, 11:48 AM

16,092 posts, read 36,571,224 times
I recently ran into some folks from Southlake, who turned up their noses when I mentioned I was from East Dallas. SO, I did my Stanley Marcus and H.L. Hunt line. They did not know who they were...

Old 10-24-2012, 12:15 PM

2,487 posts, read 5,737,645 times
Quote:
I recently ran into some folks from Southlake, who turned up their noses when I mentioned I was from East Dallas. SO, I did my Stanley Marcus and H.L. Hunt line. They did not know who they were...
Ha Southlake folks.....thhink they live in another atmosphere....to me only by the money that divides us.

To the OP- I came from Southern California a few years back. Actually I was born and raised here until the late 80's. I have lived in Brock, Lancaster, Temple, Belton and Dallas. I have also lived in Cerritos, Lakewood, Bellflower and the High Desert of California. So I know what you are looking for. Yes Texas has a lot to offer in ways that California lacks. For instance you said about your vehicles tags. I have a 2011 sports car and this year upon my renewal it was only $68.00- it's a bit of a shocker I know. When I left California in 2005- We purchased a SUV in 2004- we got our vehicle registration one month before we left and it was $585.00- I still have that bill! Anyways naturally we didn't pay it and we moved to Texas and registered our vehicles here and the cost was so low.

I do have to say be more realistic with your buget. We had the same budget when we came here. We bought a beautiful two story 3000+ sq ft home- formal dining and living, with game room and super large kitchen...fabulous home- great schools, great areas. The whole 9's....well the taxes on that home was around $9K and the electric bill was like $600+ during the summer- and the hesting bill was like $400-500 in the winter.....loved the home. But I couldn't justify working to just pay my taxes and high utilities. My water was high too. So we sold the home after living in it for two years. Moved down the street to a single story modest three bedroom/2 bath home on 1/2 arce lot- cut my sq footage by 1k and never looked back. My utlitlies are must lower- my stress gone. And I am as happy as a lark. So don't make those mistakes.

As for Dallas vs. the Subs of Austin. I am partial to Dallas- it has a lot to offer...as does the subs of Austin. But if I were to choose I would choose Dallas.

Good luck to you- if you have any questions DM me.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Maybe they just don't care for name droppers? Usually comes off as being a bit pretentious sounding.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:05 PM

5,856 posts, read 6,911,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeidiBruno View Post
Hi everyone,
Our family will be relocating next summer to Texas from southern CA (from the east coast originally) With that said we're not sure which area would better suit our needs and wants.
First we were set on the North Dallas suburbs but recently we've been considering Austin. Heard the weather is more timid, landscape is prettier but it costs more to live.
We are a family of four (two kids 3 and 6 months) and more to come in a couple of years
I want to have everything we can't have here in So Cal
Large house 2500 sq ft (2 car garage,driveway (yes they are hard to come by here), large kitchen, yard.) I want a custom home and hopefully can have most of what I want here without having our neighbors house 10 feet away.
Education is VERY important to us. We've always wanted to send our kids to private schools but it's too costly here. Public schools are fine as long as they are great!
Family friendly neighborhoods and people
Close to grocery stores, dept stores, pet stores,restaurants
Parks, kid friendly activities (zoo,aquarium,train park etc...) running trails,lakes,golf

The downfalls I've read about Texas are:
High property taxes
Utility costs
Houses tend to be too large = big a/c or heating bills
I think that's about it.

We currently live in Orange County Ca and if anyone is familiar they know it's one of the most expensive counties in Ca. Gas is $4.65 gallon, buying a home is next to impossible below $500,000 even in the down market, taxes are high, car registration for two cars is $600 per yr, groceries (no place doubles or triples coupons)Everything is expensive. We are renting an older 1400 sq ft townhome with 3 bedrooms 2.5 baths 2 car garage and small patio for $2100.

I think we'll find most of the expenses in Texas are less except utility bills. Water and trash bills seem to be quite a bit more. We pay $30 per qtr for trash and recycling. It seems like that is the normal monthly bill in Tx. Is that correct? And we pay about $25 a month in water. That's with four of us showering daily and 4-5 loads of laundry per week. Granted we have no lawn to water but I've read some people pay $100 a month for water....

The areas we are looking at in Austin are Pflugerville, Cedar Park, Round Rock. The areas in Dallas are Plano,Frisco,McKinney, Allen.

I've tried to do as much reading online about Tx and both Cities but it's so hard when we don't know anyone there.

As far as employment goes, my husband will be retiring as a Gunnery Sgt from the Marines and will be transitioning into a law enforcement career and I will be looking for work in either the corporate apparel or home industry. I know Dallas is home to the Market Center and Jcpenneys HQ in Plano. Are ther any others that i'm missing? Are there any corp apparel, home or acessory offices in Austin? Do they pay more in one city vs th other?

Thanks so much!
As someone (family of 5) who moved from the sub's of Austin to the sub's of N. Texas recently, I have some great knowledge about both so I'll try to take your points one at a time.

Costs as far as food/things to do...Austin. Costs as far as home/utilities/water....Dallas sub's by far. Austin is about 1.5-2x more expensive. But for the most part, you'll have neighbors on you, even w/ a custom home. But it's easier to make new friends and be friendly in Austin vs. DFW area.

Things to do (museums, attractions, sports, etc...) no question at all. DFW area. Austin doesn't have a "real" zoo, but there are still kid things to do, but no comparison.

Weather the past 3 years has been brutal all around, but far worse in Austin. Drought has decimated area lakes and swimming (natural). However, even w/ that the "landscaping scenery" is 10x that of Dallas.

Education...Austin schools are good, but pale considerably to N. Texas. McKinney, Frisco, Allen, Plano all exceed Austin. The exception being the Eanes ISD (which is within Austin ISD). It makes even Plano (and all their apostle's) cringe. If you can afford, get into that area it's a no brainer.

As far as shopping, it's not as diverse in Austin. There is plenty for consumables(dining, entertainment, etc.), but for clothes etc., there is no comparison. Dallas sub's.

P-ville, Cedar Park & Round Rock are nice areas. Lot's of new building & more starting every day. The housing crunch didn't hit Austin anywhere near as bad so real estate is still very tight there. And hands down Austin traffic is HORRIBLE. Even though it's roughly same distance wise, with traffic from any of the Dallas subs you mentioned it's easily 20-30 min. less. There are only two major highways that run through Austin. They are jammed packed from 6am-8:45am and from 3:30pm till 7pm. And Austin is just adding more and more people every day. It's a nightmare, especially for a city that size. It's almost 1m people and I'd take Dallas traffic~6m (MSA) any day. It's that bad.

But the vibe...if it's important makes it a hard decision.

Feel free to DM me if you've got any other questions.

Last edited by txgolfer130; 10-24-2012 at 03:01 PM..

Old 10-24-2012, 03:24 PM

16,092 posts, read 36,571,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busterkeaton View Post
Maybe they just don't care for name droppers? Usually comes off as being a bit pretentious sounding.
Well, I certainly never met Buster Keaton.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Well, I certainly never met Buster Keaton.
We've probably passed each other before. I've got family in them neck of the woods(east Dallas).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or