Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 05:36 AM

2 posts, read 3,791 times

Advertisements

paid for , i been using it for the past few years maybe 2 and havent been charged. i was told it was paid off and i wouldnt have to pay . now i rented a car and get charged 15 $ for using the same road. i mostly use it to get to carrollton. i know George bush still charges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 06:21 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,147,369 times
If you don't have a tolltag, you should be getting a bill for using any toll road. Or else, you could end up in this situation:

Dallas woman tops list of toll scofflaws, owing $180,000 | Wichita Eagle

North Texas Tollway Authority turns up heat on toll scofflaws | Dallas-Fort Worth Transportation News - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

Tollway scofflaws: Is your name on this Dallas-area cheaters

You can call the NTTA and find out how much you owe.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:02 AM

40,919 posts, read 48,833,863 times
It's still called a Toll Road and they still charge for it's use. You might check to find out about your account.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:19 AM

8,590 posts, read 14,749,848 times
The original segment of the DNT has been paid off for almost 30 years but you'll pay to drive on it until perpetuity.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:27 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,487,504 times
IF you were in a rental car when you were on toll road you better contact the rental car company ASAP and get that charge and pay it--
rental car contracts allow them to charge their renters a fee for processing a toll charge that can add up quickly...
none of the rental cars that I have seen at DFW come with toll tags...
and doubt yours did either...
it is money maker for rental car companies...
YOU won't get the toll charge because it goes by license plate info and you don't own that car

Old 10-26-2012, 08:32 AM

toll roads as far as I know never stop being toll roads--whether the road has generated enough revenue/profits and paid off the bonds to create it or not...
some toll roads in the US are almost 100 yrs old I think...

Old 10-26-2012, 09:30 AM

390 posts, read 711,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
none of the rental cars that I have seen at DFW come with toll tags...
and doubt yours did either...
It may not be an actual TollTag, but Avis' eToll service is used in Texas (as well as many other locations):
Avis Services - eToll

Old 10-26-2012, 09:54 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,721,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
The original segment of the DNT has been paid off for almost 30 years but you'll pay to drive on it until perpetuity.
But not the extensions to PGBT and to 121.

And not the yearly maintenance, exit ramp changes, and the new sound walls.

If the system was not growing, and the bonds paid off, I could see tolls dropping. But the road still must be maintained, patrolled, and damage fixed.

Toll roads in TX were a compromise to allow the rest of the state to build and maintain roads while the larger cities could control their destiny.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:37 AM

8,590 posts, read 14,749,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
But not the extensions to PGBT and to 121.

And not the yearly maintenance, exit ramp changes, and the new sound walls.

If the system was not growing, and the bonds paid off, I could see tolls dropping. But the road still must be maintained, patrolled, and damage fixed.

Toll roads in TX were a compromise to allow the rest of the state to build and maintain roads while the larger cities could control their destiny.
True, but the people of Dallas were sold a false bill of goods when the DNT was first proposed in the 1960s. They were told then that the original segment would be paid off in 15 years and at that point the tolls would be lowered to cover maintenance of the section. That "payoff date" was 1984. Tolls were never lowered. In fact now revenue from existing NTTA roadways are being used to subsidize the far-flung and brain-dead Chisholm Trail Parkway in Tarrant and Johnson Counties.

Do ya see how the NTTA works? They take out massive debt loads to build toll roads and then use revenue projections from the toll roads to take on even more debt to build even more toll roads. It's not sustainable, and when it all comes crashing down taxpayers are gonna be the ones picking up the tab when the government bails out their bondholders.

Raise the friggin gas tax and peg it to inflation. Additionally the State of Texas needs to stop using their gas tax revenues as a piggybank for the general fund.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 10-26-2012 at 10:46 AM..

Old 10-26-2012, 10:51 AM

Another problem but which is rarely considered is that this is a private company whose shares are closely held yet it purports to be involved in helping the public but the public has no recourse to making changes to the board, the fees, the decisions made...
the state has very effectively washed its hands and turned much of the major road building over to a select few with an agenda that is supposed to be for the "common good" but is definitely for the good of a few...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas