Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2012, 10:59 PM

2 posts, read 12,716 times

Advertisements

I might be moving to Denton for college at UNT. The problem is I've never been to Denton before, I'm worried about listing UNT on my ACT in I don't like Denton and wasting my cash. I have however, been to San Antonio and Austin and loved them.

What is Denton like? what is there to do? what are the people like? and the weather? what is UNT like if you know? is it worth it? I'm from Utah if that helps.

I appreciate any and all information, thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 07:54 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,162,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alligator94 View Post
I might be moving to Denton for college at UNT... I'm from Utah if that helps.
What's the motivation for going to a school out of state - much less UNT in Denton? What's wrong with all the fine schools in really "cool" places in Utah? If I had to choose between the two, having lived in both places for long periods of time, I'd choose to stay in Utah, hands down!

Old 10-29-2012, 11:09 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
I just moved from SLC to a town about 30 min east of Denton. I can only speak to the climate. It's HOT in summer, days on end of 104-108 deg days and 80+ nights. Although more humid it feels like a blast furnace b/c of the constant breeze or wind. It is currently 60 deg with an overnight low of 45.

No scenery to speak of, just slightly rolling plains with nothing on the horizon. Denton is known for the uni's music program so there seems to be plenty of live music in town.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:10 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
You stand better chance of getting info about Denton from other college students
there are specific web sites for college students to post their likes/dislikes about their colleges
Have you searched for them?

you can run a search on the Dallas or Fort Worth boards for DENTON or UNT or COLLEGE
and read the threads
there are lot of them

Old 10-29-2012, 04:51 PM

2 posts, read 12,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
What's the motivation for going to a school out of state - much less UNT in Denton? What's wrong with all the fine schools in really "cool" places in Utah? If I had to choose between the two, having lived in both places for long periods of time, I'd choose to stay in Utah, hands down!

I'm not really a Utah fan... I'd like to go somewhere new. Denton's not a for sure thing, just an interest

Old 11-29-2012, 10:11 PM

30 posts, read 49,634 times
go somewhere else go to austin its much better if you move to denton you will have to relocated back the job market is terrible go somewhere where you can live a better life

Old 12-02-2012, 02:57 PM

17 posts, read 40,720 times
You will like Denton and UNT. It is a strange mix of very liberal, very artistic, kind of a music/art school as far as culture goes - guys/girls from around the world. But the area north/east of UNT is in is probably the biggest horse-culture country, "cowboy" area you will find. So you find every kind of people at UNT, it's a lot of fun. The cowboys/girls are pretty hip too but they just like to wear cowboy hats and country living on their dad's ranches etc. ... No cowboy hats on campus you will ever see, they would be ashamed to wear them in a big-city like Denton!

NOTE: I hope you enjoy this "wiki" about Denton written by UNT students about everything good, what dorms or apartments are cool or not cool, where to eat, parks that are cool, nightclubs that are good etc. .. Fun to read even for an old UNT student like me! ... Enjoy!!!!:

https://dentonwiki.org/Front_Page

Old 12-04-2012, 09:45 AM

149 posts, read 306,861 times
I lived in Denton for two years during graduate school and liked it; the area around UNT and TWU has a nice college town feel, but there's also a suburban feel farther south that I appreciated for convienances and a more regular vibe. If you're thinking of applying, definitely visit first before showing up though; UNT isn't for everyone and only has a few programs worth moving from Utah for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas