Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2012, 11:58 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,602,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Its more comparable in size & look to the Brazos River running through Downtown Austin.

The Brazos River goes through Waco, not Austin. Thats the Colorado your thinking about.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 12:29 AM

2,413 posts, read 3,462,036 times
Tulsa has about 400,000 residents and Plano has 270,000. The two are more comparable in size than Dallas at 1.2 million. Anything on the south side of Tulsa looks like Plano or any other Dallas suburb. The north side of Tulsa looks more like south Dallas.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:08 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,722,691 times
Tulsa is more like Fort Worth than any other city in the DFW area.

Oil and Gas, Aviation, river area, demographics, small downtown, agricultural past, school particulars, etc.

Plano is closest to San Jose, CA or Alexandria, VA.

Old 11-03-2012, 12:06 AM

1,189 posts, read 2,544,367 times
Thanks for the comments. My friend likes Tulsa, but he thinks he is missing out on professional opportunities that are available in Dallas because it's so much larger. He has a decent job now. He does help desk support. I know nothing about that field. I guess it is IT?? I think living wise, he prefers medium size cities, but he does feel like he may be limiting himself professionally living in Tulsa, even though he enjoys living there.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:50 AM

954 posts, read 1,541,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

The river you speak of, the Arkansas river is many times larger than the Trinity. Its more comparable in size & look to the Brazos River running through Downtown Austin.
As a native midwesterner where they have "real" rivers, the Arkansas is like a real river. The Trinity, not so much, more like an over sized midwestern creek (it's really quite small).
But the comparison here between the OK citys and Dallas is I think more about Climate & Topography
than size. Tulsa & OKCity are both now large citys but just in a regional sense, whereas Dallas is of course one of the nations biggest citys.

Old 12-27-2016, 11:03 AM

1 posts, read 877 times
I was born and raised in Oklahoma City. My family is still there. However, I have lived in Dallas for 17 years now. So, Dallas is my home now.. OKC and DAL are very different cities. Dallas is one of the nations largest cities. Dallas is a very cosmopolitan city. The major industries in Dallas are aviation, IT / Telecom, Oil and Gas, and Financial firms.

When I am referencing Dallas, I am speaking of inside the 635 loop. There are tons of restaurants, bars, high-end retailers, entertainment venues, MLB, NBA, NHL, NFL teams all consider Dallas home. OKC has only a NBA team.

In regards to weather.. Oklahoma really gets the worse end of the stick. The winters are always much colder and get more ice/snow multiple times throughout the winter. Dallas is lucky to see any snow at all, but we get a bit of ice. This affect DFW road travel, as most all our freeways are elevated. It is generally much colder at night in OKC. When I am visiting family in summer in OKC, I often get chilled in the evening. They are both HOT in the summer, Dallas is more of an intense heat, as all the concrete working as a convection oven. We also have more humidity in the summer, as we are a mere 4 hours from the coast.

Being close to the coast, we also are prone to tropical depressions, tropical storms in the event of any hurricanes hitting the Texas coast.

The architecture is different. OKC has a more Midwestern style of buildings. The infrastructure is much different also.. Dallas has an awesome freeway system and you can literally get anywhere in 20 mins providing not during rush hour. If you are in NW OKC, it can take you 20 mins just to get to a freeway.

Most importantly, OKC may be cheaper in rent prices, but be advised that Oklahoma likes to tax the crap out of their citizens. You pay income tax and also taxes on medicines and food items. Also, depending on what suburb in OKC, you will pay a high sales tax on anything. Texas doesn't tax income or food/medicinal items. Texas makes up with this in their much higher property taxes.

OKC and Dallas are similar, yet very different. I personally prefer Dallas to OKC, as Dallas is a prettier city, a lot of things to do and see. There is a lot more options to participate in cultural events. OKC is more conservative than Dallas. However, Dallas has it's conservatives also, but you can really just be yourself here.

Old 12-27-2016, 11:13 AM

8,097 posts, read 8,235,495 times
Its all true. One thing; its a lot cheaper to live in OKC

Old 12-27-2016, 11:33 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,738,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Its all true. One thing; its a lot cheaper to live in OKC
Especially 4 years after this thread was started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas