U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 10:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,726 times
Our son spotted a mountain lion/couger on our property in SW Fannin County just yesterday. Large brown, probably coming up the hill for the pigs or chickens, and because it had been raining so much.

Our two dogs ran him off, thank goodness. Hubby has heard the screams at night, and had told me they range over about 50 miles.

We have heard of sightings off and on for years, and the neighbor says tracks by his pond. One time it was sitting under the trees at the top of the hill.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:14 PM

913 posts, read 1,019,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
My family has owned and resided on a sizable piece of country in North Texas, about 15 miles south of the Red River for the past 50 years. Over the years, my dad always told me that he believed there were a few mountain lions, or maybe panthers living abroad. We had a dairy farm with many cattle and he worked during all hours of the day and night. Both he and my uncle swore to hearing far off screams at dusk, but I never believed them and assumed it must be bobcats. However, last year, my dad and my brother were out in the back yard working on a tractor, and they heard that same unmistakable scream coming from what they thought was the creek less than a half of a mile from the house. Of course, it totally freaked them out, and they were inside in only a matter of seconds. The next morning, they went down to the creek to look around. They saw tracks, but never an actual animal. About a week later, on his way home, my dad spotted the animal in the creek bed. It was a dark chocolate brown color, and he says he thinks it was a panther. However, it could be a mountain lion, but we know the size of this beast was way to large to be a bobcat. We've seen many bobcats over the years. Has anyone else in North Texas come across any of the animals? Like I said, I didn't believe it until last year. I thought panthers and mountain lions were in the wilds up North. Please let me know if you've heard of any similar sightings and what location they were in.
It is most definately possible for mountain lions to live anywhere. The reason I believe this is based on the feral cats that I've witnessed surviving not around the parking lots of stores, but right smack in the middle of them.
I recently witnessed a mother cat trying to encourge her kittens to proceed with her into the heart of a store parking lot. When enquiring about her actions to employees inside the store, I was told by them that she herself was once a kitten born at the store and she too was led by her own mother into the heart of the busy traffic of the parking lot to learn how to look for scraps of food to survive on. Since then, I have witnessed other feral cats at other stores scrambling in and out of parking lot traffic in the middle of the day and at the busiest of times.
I just never looked for them before or prior to that time as I just supposed they were left abandoned by customers or got loose and wandered to there somehow. But no. These cats survive by learning to avoid traffic while searching for scraps of food in the middle of store parking lots. If normal cats are quick, these special creatures seem to be on a whole other level.

Last edited by Mister Nifty; 09-16-2010 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: tweak

Old 09-16-2010, 01:35 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,682,230 times
I see bobcats while riding my ATV all the time. They are a lot smaller to a mountain lion but I bet they can be misidentified.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:14 AM

21 posts, read 22,484 times
I could have sworn to seen a panther in the Greenwood Cemetery when I drove past it on Clyde Ln in Uptown. It was fairly large.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:16 PM

2,845 posts, read 3,832,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas214 View Post
I could have sworn to seen a panther in the Greenwood Cemetery when I drove past it on Clyde Ln in Uptown. It was fairly large.
There are plenty of cougars in the uptown area looking for fresh meat.

But I seriously doubt it was the panther/mountain lion/puma variety.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:20 PM

21 posts, read 22,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
There are plenty of cougars in the uptown area looking for fresh meat.

But I seriously doubt it was the panther/mountain lion/puma variety.
Hahaha

Old 09-17-2010, 05:02 PM

14,562 posts, read 27,031,735 times
we live in DFW area--my husband was out walking early this AM like around 530 and saw what he thought was a fox in the yard of a house he walked by--just the wrong shape for a dog or cat and was "trotting"--not the right gate for them either

he has been bobcats several times when he is golfing at Bear Creek GC by DFW airport--pretty common there...

Old 09-20-2010, 03:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,648 times
Default Crazy as it sounds.

I grew up in Dallas and never knew "black panthers" or any form of large predator black cat did not exist in Texas...just a city kid. However, had I known 3 years ago what I am finding out now I could probably be rich or at least solved the mystery in Fannin County as to their existence. City kid or not I was raised hunting and I am a decent shot. My in-laws live in NW Fannin County and on a visit with them in late 2007 the screams of a baby could be heard in the back pasture...creepy. It was about 5 PM winter so dusk was coming on, went out to the fence line and saw not one, but what appeared to be two cubs up on the side of an old dead tree by the pond...BLACK as pitch. not chocolate, not lack of light, the setting sun was reflecting off there Black coats. They were about the size of an adult bobcat, but huskier and long tails. I had my mother in law run to the house and bring me a rifle...thanks for the single shot no scope model mom. I got the first shot off and dropped the one highest, easiest shot...it fell into the pond. I tried to sight in quickly for the second cub, yet my shot was high...got a little excited and the cat was able to run off to the back towards Bois d'Arc creek and escape.

At the time I just assumed I had killed a cub destined to grow up menacing local live stock. I wasn't about to go into the the old snake pond to fish out some dead cat, especially after hearing those cries and knowing if two cubs are out and about, Mommy can't be too far behind. The cubs were big; how big must she be? If I knew it would prove something or maybe at least explain there genus or origin I might have been more willing to take the risk and fish the thing outta the pond. As it was I went to the pond the following morning and saw the tracks from the cubs around the tree and saw larger tracks from what I assume to be momma, I never found the dead cub or tracks leading out of the pond, only large tracks around its edges.

Urban / Rural legend I don't think so, call me crazy, but I know what I saw. I just can't prove or disprove what I killed.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,621 times
We are on the North side of Grapevine lake in Flower Mound. In the last six weeks, we've seen a mountain lion 6 times. Last Sunday, one of our neighbors saw two cubs (30 lbs.)playing near the edge of Corps property. This is next to the hike/bike trail.

These were not Bobcats, the tails were quite long.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,513 times
Default Black Panther or Jaguarundi?

I saw a very large black cat standing on the side of a pile of cedar in late afternoon. This was in Briggs Texas. It sounds like this is the same animal that was talked about previously. Does anyone have further information or sitings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas