Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 09:36 AM

30 posts, read 53,818 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

First let me describe us: White, church going, outgoing, likes luxury things and settings, but hates old and boring.

My job is transferring me from Bham, AL to Dallas. I'll work in Las Colinas but we want somewhere young, clean, cool and fun to live. Who doesn't though right? From my online searches, I've seen alot of West Village and am leaning towards that area. However, rent seems very steep. Is there somewhere very close to there, or very much like it, that the rent hasn't skyrocketed yet?

We would love a 2br 2 bath but in the our $1300-$1700 price range, that might not be too possible. What other areas am I missing? Here's what I've kinda learned thus far:

Deep Ellum - cool for bars and concerts but kinda sketchy, urban, hippy.. No good.
Oak Lawn - too artsy and gay (sorry gotta be honest, it's what ive heard)

Haven't really heard much about other places.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 09:47 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,155,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clspruiell View Post
Hey all,

First let me describe us: White, church going, outgoing, likes luxury things and settings, but hates old and boring.

My job is transferring me from Bham, AL to Dallas. I'll work in Las Colinas but we want somewhere young, clean, cool and fun to live. Who doesn't though right? From my online searches, I've seen alot of West Village and am leaning towards that area. However, rent seems very steep. Is there somewhere very close to there, or very much like it, that the rent hasn't skyrocketed yet?

We would love a 2br 2 bath but in the our $1300-$1700 price range, that might not be too possible. What other areas am I missing? Here's what I've kinda learned thus far:

Deep Ellum - cool for bars and concerts but kinda sketchy, urban, hippy.. No good.

Thanks!
West Village is trendy and affluent, so rents are high. Plus, that commute will stink.

You're not too young for Addison, so you might want to check it out. It would be an easier commute to Las Colinas. Or you could just look in LC itself.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:55 AM

30 posts, read 53,818 times
Ok cool.. That's good info.. I wouldn't mind being close to work.. But while we don't have kids, I would kinda like to do the trendy city feel for a while. I'll def check addison though. Thanks,

Old 12-05-2012, 10:09 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,455,826 times
You might like the area around the design district. Lots of new apts, closer to Las Colinas. Good restaurants - FT33, Oak, Meddlesome Moth, etc. Or Victory.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:35 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,644,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clspruiell View Post
Hey all,

Thanks!
Well, Oak Lawn is the Gayborhood so to speak, but as a straight married man I would live there. Its a really fun neighborhood with lots of great places to eat.

Deep Ellum is extremely urban but has lots of character. Its a really fun place.

The West Villiage has lots of young people so maybe that ought to be your focus. Its primarily young people.

Pardon me for saying so, but you guys seem rather conservative (which isnt a bad thing, just an observation). Is it important to live among like minds, or is diversity better for you?

Old 12-05-2012, 10:42 AM

743 posts, read 1,316,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
You might like the area around the design district. Lots of new apts, closer to Las Colinas. Good restaurants - FT33, Oak, Meddlesome Moth, etc. Or Victory.
yes, but what about teh gay?

Old 12-05-2012, 10:49 AM

257 posts, read 548,560 times
Maybe Mockingbird Station or the M Streets area are worth checking into. The Phoenix Midtown apartments on Mockingbird Lane are not too far from West Village, but the price is a lot better.

Also, there are some pretty cool apartments along Henderson Avenue that fit your "trendy/urban but not shady or hippie" criteria. Camden Henderson is probably at the top of your budget, but check it anyway. Cool location and vibe.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:50 AM

11,819 posts, read 26,732,998 times
Las Colinas itself is a nice place to live. There are many apartments right in the heart of LC down by the canals where you can walk to restaurants, etc.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:53 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,180,774 times
There are tons of straight people living in Oak Lawn & Turtle Creek, too. It is more in your budget so worth a look....unless you're a homophobe and the PLEASE look elsewhere for the sake of the current residents.

Your budget is more 1-bedroom range for Uptown & W Village. If you want to be there, you'll have to make do with less space.

As others have said, Design District has a lot of new properties that may be to your liking and within budget.

Deep Ellum is not boring but the buildings are "old" which you don't like.

Apartments in Las Colinas are in your price range and meet the "new" criteria, but the area is definitely boring on the weekends and at nights. It's more of a bedroom community with the office lunch crowd.

Addison crowd is cheesier and a bit older- think traveling salesmen. It also has less of a "neighborhood" feel than Uptown as its basically a strip mall filled with restaurants and some new apartment complexes clustered around Addison Circle. Would be in your price range though.

Back closer to Uptown, you could look at the new apartments east of 75 on University Blvd and also in the Village apartments which are off Lovers Lane east of 75. A 5-10 min cab ride into Uptown with plenty of restaurants & shopping close by. Safe area and a bit cheaper than Uptown. You should def be able to find a 2 /2 in your budget. It is a longer drive to Las Colinas than Uptown- prob in the 30-35 min range.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:57 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,155,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Apartments in Las Colinas are in your price range and meet the "new" criteria, but the area is definitely boring on the weekends and at nights. It's more of a bedroom community with the office lunch crowd.

Addison crowd is cheesier and a bit older- think traveling salesmen. It also has less of a "neighborhood" feel than Uptown as its basically a strip mall filled with restaurants and some new apartment complexes clustered around Addison Circle. Would be in your price range though.

Back closer to Uptown, you could look at the new apartments east of 75 on University Blvd and also in the Village apartments which are off Lovers Lane east of 75. A 5-10 min cab ride into Uptown with plenty of restaurants & shopping close by. Safe area and a bit cheaper than Uptown. You should def be able to find a 2 /2 in your budget. It is a longer drive to Las Colinas than Uptown- prob in the 30-35 min range.
The job in LC is why I recommended Addison or LC. LOL @ traveling salesmen....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas