Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 02:44 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times

Advertisements

You will want to visit an expat site or somewhere like Visa Journey dot com so you can familiarize yourself with our immigration laws prior to your visit. Visiting the US on a tourist visa for the express purpose of procuring employment is almost certainly illegal.

Even if you can find work here, the odds of finding an employer who will sponsor your visa are not good. I would save my money and focus my job search in the UK/EU if I were you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 02:46 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KW85 View Post
No I don't have a UK licence as I haven't taken the test yet, however I do know how to drive. I'm just a terrible procrastinator. I'm hoping necessity will force me into action. You wouldn't happen to know what the average taxi fare is in Dallas would you?
Afraid not; I've never taken a taxi in Dallas before. Taken plenty in the UK, though. I lived there and in Poland, Germany, and France in the 2000s.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:46 PM

9 posts, read 8,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
KW85, I used google dot com for a sample search > dallas extended stay <. I don't know if the link will work for you but you can just make that search for like results. There appears to be a very few results for about $200US weekly. One near Dallas Market Center with bus access to rail line. Another a bit to the east and north a bit, also with bus access but further to rail. Another in a very good part of town but no transit shown. Each appears to be suitable to your needs.

I wouldn't take the lack of rail service as a problem. Dallas is not populated around rail service - the service being not much more than 10 years old. Some of the bus routes are pretty good but it takes planning. The idea of a taxi is good.

To follow stephwin above, if you have an idea of where you might be interviewing or what sort of companies then there might be some further assist to get you situated.
The link works, I'm going through them right now
- Thank you!

Old 12-12-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
You will want to visit an expat site or somewhere like Visa Journey dot com so you can familiarize yourself with our immigration laws prior to your visit. Visiting the US on a tourist visa for the express purpose of procuring employment is almost certainly illegal.

Even if you can find work here, the odds of finding an employer who will sponsor your visa are not good. I would save my money and focus my job search in the UK/EU if I were you.
My plan was to come back to the UK and apply for the appropriate visa before attempting to start work. I cannot get a work visa unless I have a job offer.

Unfortunately the UK has one of the highest youth unemployment in Europe, and it's set to continue into 2013. I'm not looking forward to another year of unemployment. So I decided to expand my job search to foreign countries as I have not been able to find a permanent job since I've graduated.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:58 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
I hate to quash your hopes but usually the only companies willing to sponsor someone are those who are hiring quite specialized people such as chemists, engineers, tech, etc. It's quite a lot of trouble and paperwork for a company to sponsor someone.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:01 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times
Dallas Yellow Cab

Quote:
DFW Alliance Cab - Taxi Rates

CITY FARE :$2.25 - Initial meter drop
$0.20 - Each 1/9 mile
$0.45 - Per 1 1/2 minutes of traffic delay/waiting time
$2.00 - For each extra passenger (up to rating seat capacity)$8.00 - Minimum for trips originating at Lovefield Airport
$1.00 - Lovefield loading fee .

All prices are PER CAB, not per person

Old 12-12-2012, 03:06 PM

390 posts, read 715,145 times
I would expect "average" taxi fares to run $40-$80, but could easily be more if you're crossing from one end of the the Metroplex to another. Short trips will be less, but I wouldn't count on relying on many short trips.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:25 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I hate to quash your hopes but usually the only companies willing to sponsor someone are those who are hiring quite specialized people such as chemists, engineers, tech, etc. It's quite a lot of trouble and paperwork for a company to sponsor someone.
Agree 100% here. To sponsor a foreigner, the company must show there are no US citizens with the same skills available. I do not know of a single company in DFW that is currently sponsoring foreign visas except for engineers, computer designers, etc. It is extremely expensive and time-consuming for the company, and there are plenty of US citizens who are looking for work, so there's no need to sponsor someone.

Come over and take a nice holiday, but as someone else mentioned, coming in on a visitor visa and securing employment is not allowed.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:34 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,170,832 times
To the OP, what is your degree in? Also, it might be easier for a UK citizen to find employment in Australia, which currently has a lower unemployment rate than the US, a much lower unemployment rate than the UK/EU, and has a history of having lots of Brits coming over to work (and vice versa). You might have more luck getting an Australian work visa than an American one. If you go to their immigration web site, you can find all the details. If your degree is in engineering, you might really be in luck as they really seem to want those.

Visas, Immigration and Refugees

Old 12-12-2012, 04:03 PM

Thanks all for the feedback, I think I will take the advice on board and try my luck one more time here in Europe . I certainly don't want to break any laws in the process of finding work. I'll still be going on vacation but I'll cut down the length of time I stay. I'm going to give it a few months and see if I get any responses before abandoning the idea completely. Thanks for the honest and prompt feed back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas