Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 02:15 PM

2,386 posts, read 3,269,331 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone.

ggolf, I understand it would be better to have a contact I am attending an expo in Feb to meet with employers and visa experts to get more info. I just need a change and I want my son to grow up somewhere good which is not the uk!! As I said before looking on the web is great but actually talking to natives is by far the best thing as it gives me a more personal point of view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 02:43 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elained10 View Post
Thanks bigDgeek. While studying i also have a job in a hospital as a support worker which will give me about 3 years experience and after I finish my course it takes 18 months for a visa so I will have about 4 years experience. I just wanted some info on general living as I have a young son I need to be 100% sure he'll be happy wherever we move to.
No such thing as guarantees. Personally I would not be here if my family wasn't here; the traffic is horrible, the weather sucks, the people aren't nice, and there's not much to do except shop and eat out. Dallas isn't even pretty.

What is it that you think you need in a city to make you happy?

Old 12-17-2012, 02:53 PM

i just need my son to be happy if im honest, im looking to relocate for a few reasons and things that would make us happy would be fun places to go together, nice people, nice area to live in, good schools and i would prefere better weather than what we have now. i would like a more laid back lifestyle is there any place you would recommend that i could look into? i think we would maybe like to look at being in the countryside rather than busy city life.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:07 PM

BigDGeek i just read your thread " is it me or is it dallas " i see you really arent happy in dallas (while reading i laughed, im sorry) most of what you said describes me and how i feel living here!! its awful i hate it and ive no time for the people living here. if your so unhappy why dont you move? we only have one life why not make the most of it? i know its going to be difficult for me to move since i have a 2year old to consider but i want i bad enough to make it happen no matter what it takes.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:29 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
Quote:
i just need my son to be happy if im honest, im looking to relocate for a few reasons and things that would make us happy would be fun places to go together, nice people, nice area to live in, good schools and i would prefere better weather than what we have now. i would like a more laid back lifestyle is there any place you would recommend that i could look into? i think we would maybe like to look at being in the countryside rather than busy city life.
Texas Travel Guide

You son will love living in Texas. Just find a location with good schools. And yes, it does get hot... that's a four letter word. But kids love playing in the heat.

Make a plan... we'll keep a light on for ya.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:50 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,238,155 times
Are you a 'city girl', one who feels you really belong only in a large urban area? Or would you consider a smaller, less densley populated area? That would certainly broaden your options. I'm a lifelong Texan but if I had to live in a big city like Dallas or Houston I probably would not still be in Texas. This is a big place with lots of different lifestyles and opportunities outside the big cities. If you are wanting a good life for your child, good schools, safety, etc you might want to look at some of the smaller cities. Many of them are needing medical services and would possibly be more welcoming than an area that has many hospitals and clinics. Also the cost of living is much less in the smaller cities and they are much easier to get around in. The areas that have a largely Hispanic population would also probably be more open to the services of a midwife (someone correct me if I'm wrong but that has been my observation where I have lived).

Old 12-17-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleTX View Post
Are you a 'city girl', one who feels you really belong only in a large urban area? Or would you consider a smaller, less densley populated area? That would certainly broaden your options. I'm a lifelong Texan but if I had to live in a big city like Dallas or Houston I probably would not still be in Texas. This is a big place with lots of different lifestyles and opportunities outside the big cities. If you are wanting a good life for your child, good schools, safety, etc you might want to look at some of the smaller cities. Many of them are needing medical services and would possibly be more welcoming than an area that has many hospitals and clinics. Also the cost of living is much less in the smaller cities and they are much easier to get around in. The areas that have a largely Hispanic population would also probably be more open to the services of a midwife (someone correct me if I'm wrong but that has been my observation where I have lived).

thanks very much for commenting. I think it would benefit us both looking for a quiet place to live, im not so much a city girl anymore things change when you have a baby and i dont want a city enviroment for him. the things that are a major factor for me is the people, living in a smaller town sounds perfect but how welcoming would the neighbours be? what areas are you talking about? just so i can do a little research ?

Old 12-17-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Texas Travel Guide

You son will love living in Texas. Just find a location with good schools. And yes, it does get hot... that's a four letter word. But kids love playing in the heat.

Make a plan... we'll keep a light on for ya.

thank you very much, its a rather sweet msg.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:32 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Dallas is more spread-out than several smaller American states. However, with the exception of c ertain realtively small areas, it is not a "big city" looking kind of place. I live about 1 hr north of downtown Dallas. I pass cow pastures and lots of vacant land in Plano and Frisco as I drive down on the tollway. No long stretches of row houses or block upon block of huge concrete apartment blocks/Stalin era styled.

Use Google street view to look at some areas to see what I mean.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:44 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
Quote:
About half way between Dallas and San Antonio is a group of smaller towns - Temple, Belton, Killeen - that make up a very spread out metro. In Temple is Scott & White Hospital. S&W is a fairly large statewide hospital organization and works with the two largest universities in Texas - University of Texas and Texas A&M. You might look them over as an option for your relocation...

nurse jobs at Scott and White Healthcare

http://www.sw.org/health-education?p...d=1&gid=002000
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas