Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 03:19 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,747,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycrow View Post
Not a waste of time from their perspective at all, given the size of the application fee -- for the price of a few extra administrative hours and a bunch of middle-class applications thrown in the trash, they cover one of their low-end salaries off the bat.
This is out of line.

The fee, in many cases is waived.

A "low end salary" is a drop in the bucket for schools with operating budgets similar to a mid-size IT firm.

And just so you know, the Tier 1 privates in Dallas have about 30% of their students on tuition assistance and many of those kids get full rides. These kids get a stellar education that they would not otherwise get.

Furthermore, the majority of students families are professionals, not investors, and they also benefit from a across the board reduction tuition due to the revenue stream off the large endowments.

These endowments are thanks to the Alumni and families who endow the schools. Not only it is the Cubans and the Crows, but the alumni with far less net worth, who make this possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 07:06 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,298,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
This is out of line.

The fee, in many cases is waived.

A "low end salary" is a drop in the bucket for schools with operating budgets similar to a mid-size IT firm.

And just so you know, the Tier 1 privates in Dallas have about 30% of their students on tuition assistance and many of those kids get full rides. These kids get a stellar education that they would not otherwise get.

Furthermore, the majority of students families are professionals, not investors, and they also benefit from a across the board reduction tuition due to the revenue stream off the large endowments.

These endowments are thanks to the Alumni and families who endow the schools. Not only it is the Cubans and the Crows, but the alumni with far less net worth, who make this possible.

The percentage of alumni that give back to the school is amazing. The endowment is around 130 million. The school is very well funded and certainly does not seek applications for fees. That might be the dumbest comment I have seen on this board-which is saying something.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:07 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,298,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycrow View Post
Not a waste of time from their perspective at all, given the size of the application fee -- for the price of a few extra administrative hours and a bunch of middle-class applications thrown in the trash, they cover one of their low-end salaries off the bat.
I hope you are kidding. If not, you are extremely uninformed.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:28 AM

13 posts, read 61,961 times
This information is from a very realiable source....just do not understand the point of still seeking additional recruitment when the applicant pool is so diverse in nature not only socioeconomic, cultural, racial, talent and academically...curious of the reasoning behind the extraneous treasure hunt...

Old 02-04-2013, 08:06 AM

36 posts, read 71,756 times
Honestly, the whole thing feels ludicrous to me. My daughter met a girl from Hockaday on Saturday at the ISEE testing. That child was applying to my daughter's school and my daughter was applying to hers. It really gave me pause. Our awesome public middle school is looking better and better. This mama just might be exiting the Dallas private school crazy train...

Old 02-04-2013, 09:37 AM

692 posts, read 855,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
I hope you are kidding. If not, you are extremely uninformed.
Obviously. But I'll include more smileys next time so it's clear.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:51 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,747,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skycastle View Post
Honestly, the whole thing feels ludicrous to me. My daughter met a girl from Hockaday on Saturday at the ISEE testing. That child was applying to my daughter's school and my daughter was applying to hers. It really gave me pause. Our awesome public middle school is looking better and better. This mama just might be exiting the Dallas private school crazy train...
How do you apply to a public middle school, charter or regular?

Old 02-04-2013, 08:27 PM

@TX75007- You made me laugh! Here's the loveliness of my plan: I don't have to send my sweet girl in to shadow or test or interview. Public schools accept all of our children, just as they are. No pretense. I called. We toured. She loved it and said it felt homey. I'llcall back in the spring to let them know we'll be enrolling for next school year. Simple. Lovely. Done.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:44 PM

19,783 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skycastle View Post
@TX75007- You made me laugh! Here's the loveliness of my plan: I don't have to send my sweet girl in to shadow or test or interview. Public schools accept all of our children, just as they are. No pretense. I called. We toured. She loved it and said it felt homey. I'llcall back in the spring to let them know we'll be enrolling for next school year. Simple. Lovely. Done.
With all due respect implying that Hockaday's admissions process or the school generally involves "pretense" is pretty out there. Pretense strongly implies a false or weak claim. Hockaday's admissions process is very difficult because the school is brutal academically and the results for grads are awesome. That's the opposite of pretense.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:11 AM

Okay. Fair enough. Maybe that place is as glitteringly amazing as you say. Unicorns grazing, third graders splitting the atom, Mr. Holland himself shouting, "Carpe Diem!" We'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas