Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 05:36 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,090,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandate_of_Heaven View Post
oh ok, that's what I thought. I have heard that people are always in a rush and that's understandable. As for the don't talk to people unless you know them, them how are new people supposed to get to know people if no people will talk to them? I guess I would consider that rude, but that's just me. Thanks for clearing that up!

Agree. But give 'em time...no matter how hard, they'll either open up or move on b/c everyone wants to talk to them! LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 05:37 PM

681 posts, read 618,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
Actually, no I haven't a clue of how I am proving your point? This is me, and you know how I am since I have been a member here. And if I am not mistaken, you generally agree with my point of view. So how "rude" am I? Or is it rude to imply (above) that I am rude?

Anyway, you know I like you and generally agree with you. Also, just for some perspective, I am a little tired of ggolf using Boston as an example of a place full of aholes to suit arguments. Let's not forget, he had negative life experiences in this area, which have NOTHING to do with Boston quite honestly. So any rudeness in my tone isn't directed at you.

But still, it's just not accurate. Thats like me calling all people from the South stupid and fake and superficial. It's not really true as a rule.
Well, I will say this, I can't really deal with people where I live in TX and i did meet someone from Boston, nice guy and I asked him if he liked the area and the people and he looked me in the eye and said no. I had to laugh well at least he was honest!

Old 12-23-2012, 05:40 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,816,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandate_of_Heaven View Post
Well, I will say this, I can't really deal with people where I live in TX and i did meet someone from Boston, nice guy and I asked him if he liked the area and the people and he looked me in the eye and said no. I had to laugh well at least he was honest!
Yes, you will generally get honesty from folks here, but there are fakers too. I feel the same way he does at times..Would love to leave.

The reality is, there is no perfect place. It's what you make of the place that matters.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:43 PM

681 posts, read 618,129 times
Quote:
Yes, you will generally get honesty from folks here, but there are fakers too. I feel the same way he does at times..Would love to leave.

The reality is, there is no perfect place. It's what you make of the place that matters.
Totally agree! I like honest people, don't really like fakers, but that's everywhere. I assume you live in texas too? What part if you don't mind me asking. And that's what I am trying to do now, make the best of what i've got here.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:03 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
Quote:
Actually, no I haven't a clue of how I am proving your point? This is me, and you know how I am since I have been a member here. And if I am not mistaken, you generally agree with my point of view. So how "rude" am I? Or is it rude to imply (above) that I am rude?

Anyway, you know I like you and generally agree with you. Also, just for some perspective, I am a little tired of ggolf using Boston as an example of a place full of aholes to suit arguments. Let's not forget, he had negative life experiences in this area, which have NOTHING to do with Boston quite honestly. So any rudeness in my tone isn't directed at you.

But still, it's just not accurate. Thats like me calling all people from the South stupid and fake and superficial. It's not really true as a rule.
You can't make a "rule" for all people, everywhere. But there's a reason why people from Boston, NY, and NJ are thought of as rude by a LOT of people. Also, notice I didn't say Northeast. I mentioned 3 specific areas. I also happen to have spent time in Maine, Penn, VT, etc... and they are not what I would consider rude.

I have no problem with your posts or anything of the sort. But on this issue I think you're wrong on a general basis. In my experience, people from those areas are very short with people. Now, being abrupt by itself doesn't always mean rude, but rude is a synonym for short for a reason.

Anyway, we're cool, I don't have a problem with you at all, in fact I think we do tend to think alike on quite a few subjects.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:28 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
I agree with ggolf... In my own experience, people from Boston, NJ, or NY are much ruder than people from the south.

Now if you ask them, most of them will be completely bewildered by it and take offense, because they don't even know how they come across to someone from a different state.

Fact remains though, even as a generalization, they are much more abrasive than we are used to here, and they do tend to come off as rude, whether they intend to be or not.
That has been my experience as well; the rudest people I've ever encountered in the US were in Boston. Rudest EVER for me is a tie between the British and the Israelis.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:30 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,816,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
You can't make a "rule" for all people, everywhere. But there's a reason why people from Boston, NY, and NJ are thought of as rude by a LOT of people. Also, notice I didn't say Northeast. I mentioned 3 specific areas. I also happen to have spent time in Maine, Penn, VT, etc... and they are not what I would consider rude.

I have no problem with your posts or anything of the sort. But on this issue I think you're wrong on a general basis. In my experience, people from those areas are very short with people. Now, being abrupt by itself doesn't always mean rude, but rude is a synonym for short for a reason.

Anyway, we're cool, I don't have a problem with you at all, in fact I think we do tend to think alike on quite a few subjects.
Agree to a point..BUT, the way I see it; much like crazy, "rude" has many variations.

But yes, we're cool. I hope!!

Old 12-23-2012, 08:52 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Over the past few days I have been in stores, a car repair waiting room, and a small business. In each of these places, I made a comment to the person standing next to me; just idle chit chat while we were waiting. All three instances resulted in being ignored. I lived in Mississippi for years, and it was entirely normal to strike up a conversation with someone who is standing less than 2 feet away from you....yet lately I have found this rude habit of ignoring someone to be the norm in Dallas.

I don't come off as a wierd or unbalanced person (imo) so what gives with this incredible rudeness?
Not sure. I chat with strangers all the time. What part of Dallas? Wondering because many areas have northern transplants who are not used to idle southern chit chat.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:56 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
How did I know a thread about rudeness would somehow include the Northeast. Total crock..Not sure what your experience is...But, if we're going to make generalizations, people from this area are real. Maybe closed off a bit, preferring to keep to themselves..But real as they come, and grounded in reality.
Actually I agree. I lived in Boston and just because people tended to stay to themselves more, it didn't mean they were rude. It was hard for me to get used to after being born and raised in Texas, where idle conversation was the norm. It's just a cultural difference.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:00 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,263,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Over the past few days I have been in stores, a car repair waiting room, and a small business. In each of these places, I made a comment to the person standing next to me; just idle chit chat while we were waiting. All three instances resulted in being ignored. I lived in Mississippi for years, and it was entirely normal to strike up a conversation with someone who is standing less than 2 feet away from you....yet lately I have found this rude habit of ignoring someone to be the norm in Dallas.

I don't come off as a wierd or unbalanced person (imo) so what gives with this incredible rudeness?
Dallas is over ran with transplants from different countries and backgrounds. So it's hit or miss when it comes to locating people with similar mannerisms. Anyhow, it's funny you should mention this, just the other day I was having the oil/inspection done on my wife's car in Dallas. The waiting room reminded me of a funneral home. Just prior to this, I had my oil/inspection done back home in West Texas an everyone was chit chatting up a storm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas