Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 11:16 PM

2 posts, read 4,929 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

Merry Christmas to all of you in Dallas!!

I'm an international applicant with Electronic Engineering background, planning on pursuing an MBA degree next year. I'm currently stuck on choosing between SMU cox(with 8W scholarships) and TCU Neeley(full scholarships). Hopefully I could get some suggestions from you guys. Many thanks!

My gut says SMU. I'd love to live in Dallas for two years and SMU has a very strong connection and higher reputation in the DFW area, which is a big plus. TCU on the other hand, has a much smaller class size and very customized career service, which would be very helpful for an international student to land internship job. The cost will also be lower with the full ride.

What do you think the difference between the two programs? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

BTW.
I also received offer from UC IRVINE but I probably won't go there, because I personally like Texas more. And I know that UT AUSTIN has a very prestigious mba program, but I cannot afford the tuition without any scholarship. So it's off the list too.

Also in need of tips on where to live in Dallas near SMU. I will bring my wife with me and Dallas seems to be a very safe and family friendly place, so no worries on that. I made some researches that the Village Apartment should be a good option with great location and reasonable price. Any other recommendations?

Hubjune

Last edited by hubjune; 12-24-2012 at 11:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 11:26 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,150,031 times
Can't help you with which business school is better but The Village Apartments are quite conveniently located near SMU. Lots of young professionals, students, and newcomers to Dallas live there. They would be a good choice.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:31 PM

2 posts, read 4,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
Can't help you with which business school is better but The Village Apartments are quite conveniently located near SMU. Lots of young professionals, students, and newcomers to Dallas live there. They would be a good choice.
Thanks TrueDat for your prompt reply. I may probably choose to live in the Village Apartments if I'm heading for SMU. Any idea of how to make a reservation? Should I pay the deposit online or wait until I be there? I'm worrying about the availability next fall.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:14 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,150,031 times
I've never lived there but have several friends who have. I've not heard of them having trouble getting an apartment. There always seem to be availabilities. Personally, I would probably wait until I could see the actual units before making any deposits as I know the buildings vary in age, condition and location. (The Village is a sprawling complex of apartments, some newer and nicer than others.)

However, like I said, I haven't lived there so maybe someone who has can offer more detailed advice.

Old 12-25-2012, 03:21 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,063,747 times
Between Cox & Neeley there really isn't any comparison. You may get a more comprehensive & more in depth experience @ TCU but it's not like the classes @ Cox are huge either.

But, SMU 100%.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:55 PM

3,812 posts, read 4,388,790 times
TCU Alum here. Graduated from the business school. The TCU business school is really solid, and they spend serious money on it to keep it up to date. It served me really well up till date. But as much as it pains me to say, SMU is better, especially if you plan to stay in the Dallas area. No contest really.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:48 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,118,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubjune View Post
Thanks TrueDat for your prompt reply. I may probably choose to live in the Village Apartments if I'm heading for SMU. Any idea of how to make a reservation? Should I pay the deposit online or wait until I be there? I'm worrying about the availability next fall.
Absolutely no need to worry about apartment availability for next fall right now! There's no way you could even secure a place for Aug/Sept without starting to pay rent now. Typically, residents have to give 30-60 day noticr before moving out at the end of a lease.

There are something like 10,000 apartments in the Village complex, plus thousands more just south of Lovers off Greenville (between 75 & Skillman, Lovers & Mockingbird). You'll have no trouble finding a place if you come visit in June and sign a lease then.

Oh, yeah, and pick SMU. Hands down, better choice.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:07 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,438,230 times
TCU. Their football team is better.

Seriously though it doesn't matter what college you go to unless you are going to an IVY league school. Most people dont even go into a field that has to do with their major.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:10 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,118,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
TCU. Their football team is better.

Seriously though it doesn't matter what college you go to unless you are going to an IVY league school. Most people dont even go into a field that has to do with their major.
Uh, this guy is getting an MBA. Not going into undergrad. Rankings matter and SMU has the upper-hand over TCU.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:45 PM

175 posts, read 481,133 times
SMU all the way..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas