Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2012, 11:41 PM

9 posts, read 13,257 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I am currently living up North and am planning on relocating to a warmer climate to seek new employment opportunities. I was an accountant years ago, but switched to teaching after my second child was born. Now that he's about to go off to college I don't have to worry about staying up North where the COL is killing me.

I recently finished an MS in accounting and am looking to get back into the field. I also plan on getting my CPA in the next couple months. I am targeting to relocate by the end of summer 2013 and Dallas is on my short list. I'll have between 1 to 2 years living expenses covered so I will have some time to do some job hunting. My questions are as followed:

1) How is the job market for accounting/finance positions in Dallas? Doesn't have to necessarily be a firm, would be interested in working for corporations, non-profits, universities, etc too. How about teaching jobs (k-12)?

2)Where would be the best place to live? My criteria:
Budget: 1300-1500 a month.

Style: Condo/townhome 2br 1-2 bath.

Other Prefs: Schools are not important but I do need a SAFE environment. This is the first time in over two decades that I'll be living alone. I would like to be in vibrant neighborhood (NO SUBURBIA!!) where I could be in close proximity to shopping, dinning, entertainment, gyms/parks.

I know that where I eventually work will ultimately dictate where I live, but some suggestions of neighborhoods that fit my preferences would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 03:57 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Dallas sounds like a great move for you! Our economy is strong and not reliant on any one industry, so I think you'll have a variety of CPA jobs to choose from across a wide range of industries. Teaching on the other hand is not a good option- not many openings and tons of competition due to two consecutive years of budget cuts.

It sounds like you would be happy in any number of our vibrant in-town neighborhoods. Most of them offer a short commute to downtown / uptown/ Preston Center/ Galleria/ Las Colinas business centers, while still feeling like a suburban environment (ir, plentiful trees, neighbors who are involved in their local communities, etc). Some of the areas that may interest you are Turtle Creek, Oak Lawn, Knox-Henderson, North Oak Cliff's Kessler Park / Stevens Park / Winnetka Heights/ Bishop Arts District neighborhoods, Park Cities, Bluffview / Devonshire/ Briarwood/ Greenway neighborhoods, or East Dallas' M Streets/ Cochran Heights/ Little Forrest Hills/ Hollywood Heights/ Lakewood Heights/ etc neighborhoods. Each neighborhood has its own personality, but you can use the list to search for old threads, articles in D Magazine, and real estate listings to get your short list together.

All of those neighborhoods are populated with a wide variety of residents- from empty nesters and the elderly to young families, couples without kids, and single professionals young and older. North Oak Cliff and Oak Lawn are known for their gay population, but it's like 10% of residents vs 2% of the general population - more than average but hardly the majority or a reason to overlook those areas for fear of not fitting in or finding folks like yourself there. The Park Cities is more expensive and skews towards families more due to its stellar public schools, but there are many singles and empty nesters there too. It also has its own police forces as Highland Park and University Park aren't in the city of Dallas despite being surrounded by it. There is virtually no crime aside from some petty theft there.

As far as safety, you don't need to fret in any of these neighborhoods as they're all pretty safe. Dallas is a major city though so you need to do your part to prevent crime by following the "take, lock, hide" principles -> don't ever leave your car unlocked (not even for 2 seconds to drop something off of run back into your house), always lock your house & close your garage door even while inside, don't leave valuables in plain sight in your car, yard, etc, and if you must leave something valuable in your car, hide it!! (glove box, trunk, etc). The vast majority of violent crime here is drug related, domestic, or relegated to a handful of really unsavory neighborhoods (mainly in SE Dallas, W Dallas, and a pocket NW of NorthPark Mall).

Old 12-29-2012, 04:57 PM

390 posts, read 715,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
The vast majority of violent crime here is drug related, domestic, or relegated to a handful of really unsavory neighborhoods (mainly in SE Dallas, W Dallas, and a pocket NW of NorthPark Mall).
Do you mean NE of NorthPark (Five Points)? All I can think of NW of NorthPark are some expensive 75225 houses.

Old 12-29-2012, 06:03 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
shaneyshane, I would never disagree with any advice given by TurtleCreek80 so I'll just add a couple of pointers.

With the exception of Oak Cliff (I think), all of those areas listed by TC80 are north of I-30. Approximately between I-35E or a bit further west, and White Rock Lake or a bit further east. Oak Cliff is just west of downtown and south of I-30.

You can focus a google map over Dallas and type in and search an area name to get an approximate location of that area.

If you live near downtown - Uptown, Oak Lawn, Knox-Henderson - and work to the north you will be traveling opposite rush hour.

Finally, just for some preliminary research you can use Work In Texas dot com < no spaces, one dot
- Choose 'search all jobs'
- enter 'accounting, dallas' < or criteria of your own choice
- 'search all words'

Work in Texas is a state operated job search assist

Good luck

Old 12-29-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seat21d View Post
Do you mean NE of NorthPark (Five Points)? All I can think of NW of NorthPark are some expensive 75225 houses.
Oops! Yes, NE of NorthPark -> Five Points neighborhood.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:00 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,476,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seat21d View Post
Actually due west of NorthPark is one of the highest crime areas in town (Hines/MedicalArea/Stripperville).

Old 12-29-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
Actually due west of NorthPark is one of the highest crime areas in town (Hines/MedicalArea/Stripperville).
Uh, that area is like 10 miles west of NorthPark (just google mapped it for accuracy). The area I was talking about is about 2 blocks east of the mall, just across 75 between Walnut Hill & Northwest Highway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas