Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 08:41 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times

Advertisements

Dallas will eventually have to convert all or most of its downtown buildings into residential to remain a viable city center.

It might be cool having an "uptown" right across the way & all, connected by a superficial freeway park, but not when its sucking big business out of downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 09:07 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,135,780 times
I lived in both places--much longer in Houston, if that makes a difference.

Both are fun places to go out. Dallas does the "upscale lounge" thing a bit more successfully than Houston, but both have a great set of options in that area. I will say that Houston people are friendlier and generally more approachable. Dallasites, as a rule, are a bit more style conscious and seem more urban minded, to me, though. So, it becomes a trade-off for singles--friendlier, more casual dating, or stylish, more competitive dating? Each has its appeal. You sound like you might lean toward Dallas.

Houston has much better food. Dallas has better shopping. Houston has better high culture. Dallas has better pop culture. Houston is rougher around the edges. Dallas looks more like it's expecting company and has a few more walkable pedestrian places that are interesting. Dallas rarely goes to Fort Worth or vice-versa.

All in all, I always preferred Houston, but enjoyed Dallas' slicker, more urban vibe. Houston feels more real, though, with a kind of kinship among Houstonians that their city is underrated and that's fine. Dallas recognizes no such humility, often to its embarrassment.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:15 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,303,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Dallas will eventually have to convert all or most of its downtown buildings into residential to remain a viable city center.

It might be cool having an "uptown" right across the way & all, connected by a superficial freeway park, but not when its sucking big business out of downtown.
It could be viewed that way, but the bulk of the office occupancy in Uptown comes from the fringe or suburban office areas or other areas of the U.S. The area of "Uptown" with the highrise buildings is really an extension of downtown, Victory Park is technically not in Uptown. As both areas continue to grow together it's becoming one central core. Essentially it is one city block that divides the two. A lot of that now is a vibrant city park.

I agree that a lot needs to be converted to residential or even hotel space and that is currently what is happening. There are a lot of positive things going on in central Dallas. It does take time though, it can't happen over night. Most people view it as being on the right track.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:47 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
It could be viewed that way, but the bulk of the office occupancy in Uptown comes from the fringe or suburban office areas or other areas of the U.S. The area of "Uptown" with the highrise buildings is really an extension of downtown, Victory Park is technically not in Uptown. As both areas continue to grow together it's becoming one central core. Essentially it is one city block that divides the two. A lot of that now is a vibrant city park.

I agree that a lot needs to be converted to residential or even hotel space and that is currently what is happening. There are a lot of positive things going on in central Dallas. It does take time though, it can't happen over night. Most people view it as being on the right track.
One day Houston's Uptown will be connected to Downtown too. Its happening, slowly. Having light rail between the two will only speed up that process. You've gotta understand, Uptown Houston is a separate business district some 7 miles outside of downtown. If it were its own city, it would be right up there with Downtown Los Angeles in terms of office space.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:53 AM

229 posts, read 304,997 times
Quote:
One day Houston's Uptown will be connected to Downtown too. Its happening, slowly. Having light rail between the two will only speed up that process. You've gotta understand, Uptown Houston is a separate business district some 7 miles outside of downtown. If it were its own city, it would be right up there with Downtown Los Angeles in terms of office space.
So Uptown Houston is 7 miles from Downtown Houston but will someday be connected to it? The two will never be a contiguous, urbanized area as they are too far apart, with too much suburban-style development in between.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:03 PM

47 posts, read 97,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post

Both are fun places to go out. Dallas does the "upscale lounge" thing a bit more successfully than Houston, but both have a great set of options in that area. I will say that Houston people are friendlier and generally more approachable. Dallasites, as a rule, are a bit more style conscious and seem more urban minded, to me, though. So, it becomes a trade-off for singles--friendlier, more casual dating, or stylish, more competitive dating? Each has its appeal. You sound like you might lean toward Dallas.

Houston has much better food. Dallas has better shopping. Houston has better high culture. Dallas has better pop culture. Houston is rougher around the edges. Dallas looks more like it's expecting company and has a few more walkable pedestrian places that are interesting. Dallas rarely goes to Fort Worth or vice-versa.

All in all, I always preferred Houston, but enjoyed Dallas' slicker, more urban vibe. Houston feels more real, though, with a kind of kinship among Houstonians that their city is underrated and that's fine. Dallas recognizes no such humility, often to its embarrassment.

Thanks great reply right here. You tried to be objective and really tell me the differences in the cities.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
This doesn't really make sense and I'm not sure why you responded to my post with it. Uptown Houston has nothing to do with Uptown Dallas. Apples and Oranges.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post

This is exactly how I would compare the two.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:35 PM

405 posts, read 822,854 times
Quote:
Downtown Houston has an overall office vacancy rate of 12.1%. Downtown Dallas is over twice that.

How is that in any way a failing downtown?

Yeah...office space is the thing that REALLY makes me decide whether or not I wanna live in or visit a city.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:41 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Well a lot of us don't go to upscale lounges, we go to Lee Harvey's, Lakewood Landing, **** and Bull, Balcony Club, Gingerman, Ozona, Amsterdam Bar, Double Wide, Barcadia, Old Monk, The Wine Therapist, Times Ten Cellars, many places in North Oak Cliff (Bolsa, Kessler Theater), Lower Greenville, Oak Lawn, even on the other side of White Rock Lake and find lots of friendly, intelligent people who are not into materialism. I can also find friendly people in upscale places like Marquee, Inwood Lounge (well not that upscale), Melrose Hotel bar, Mansion Bar, Cafe Pacific bar, Ritz Live Oak bar, Dragonfly etc. I also meet a few a-holes in those places but I can deal with them, I'm not insecure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas