Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 02:27 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,745,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I have said before that DFW (and Houston too for that matter) is roughly about 20 years behind LA. Where Dallas is now is where LA was in the early 90's where we start seeing slowing white growth, steady black growth, and booming Asian and Hispanic growth. I too look at this a times changing..
Right. Hispanic birth rates are plummeting in TX and intermarriage is now at 25%. Most new immigrants to the state are young Anglos. Not LA at all.

And there are no areas in any of TX cities like the hispanic slums in East LA. DFW/Houston has very little crime compared to the LA of the 90s. I can walk any city in TX and not get the eyes like I did in LA 20 years ago when I did volunteer medical work. Back then there were lookouts every block and at times three or four thugs would tail us to our cars, which were kept behind locked lots with barbed wire. The cops that patrolled that area were mostly black belts and were trained as gunfighters. Swat patrols roved the streets at night. Today Oakland is the premiere Urban Safari destination as East LA has become pretty relaxed.

I never listened to the AM station, but I do wake up to K104. This is more about the aging of the target demographic and the declining ad revenues associated with the decline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 02:40 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Many of us grew up listening to "Soul Sockin' 73" - that was the place to hear music that would not be broadcast on the whitebread stations...it really has a place in Dallas history, like KLIF did...

Old 01-03-2013, 03:10 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
Right. Hispanic birth rates are plummeting in TX and intermarriage is now at 25%. Most new immigrants to the state are young Anglos. Not LA at all.
Do I have to go through this with you again? You couldnt read the facts I documented last time? Instead, you make up whatever you want to believe and just believe it???

Ive brought this up before, but Ill do it again even though its off topic. Hispanics are (by far and with no close second) the fastest growing demographic in Texas by population growth. Since this is the Dallas forum, lets look at what has taken place demographically over the last decade in DFW:

Growth in DFW from 2000-2010:

Hispanic growth: 634,449
Black growth: 254,830
Asian growth: 160,671
White Growth: 158,283

US2010

So as you can see whites are the slowest growing group in the DFW area and even slower in the Houston and San Antonio areas. Only Austin has significant white growth compared to other groups.

You can put on the blinders and ignore the truth, but telling the same lies over and over wont make them any more true.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:17 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times
Quote:
If WBAP went off the air, I would celebrate personally.
I'm listening to it right now hahaha. If there is a market niche for this, someone will pick it up.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
If there is a market niche for this, someone will pick it up.
And therin lies the answer.

I highly doubt the owners of the station are trying to stamp out anyones voice, they just want to make the max amount of money possible. There is no conspiracy, they just want to maximize profit.

Given the growing Korean community, I could see how there would now be a market for it.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:42 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,484,744 times
Quote:
Do I have to go through this with you again? You couldnt read the facts I documented last time? Instead, you make up whatever you want to believe and just believe it???

Ive brought this up before, but Ill do it again even though its off topic. Hispanics are (by far and with no close second) the fastest growing demographic in Texas by population growth. Since this is the Dallas forum, lets look at what has taken place demographically over the last decade in DFW:

Growth in DFW from 2000-2010:

Hispanic growth: 634,449
Black growth: 254,830
Asian growth: 160,671
White Growth: 158,283

US2010

So as you can see whites are the slowest growing group in the DFW area and even slower in the Houston and San Antonio areas. Only Austin has significant white growth compared to other groups.

You can put on the blinders and ignore the truth, but telling the same lies over and over wont make them any more true.
Lol I was wondering where he got his facts. Thanks for taking the time so I wouldn't have to.

Anyway, I feel their pain I'm still PO about 106.7 changing from the Texas Party Staion to The Casa! That was in 2004 and it still bugs me. It's changed a few times since then but it's still mainly a Spanish station I think. My radio dial never leaves 90.1 KERA

Old 01-03-2013, 03:57 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,800,839 times
Default hence

Quote:
To be honest, Im a bit confused. Radio stations change formats all the time. What is particularly upsetting about this one?

Dallas' longest-running radio show goes silent | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth

the word longest running radio show. people have grown up with it possibly, felt a bond with the people that host the radio show, felt it was informative and for their community. why do people feel grief stricken when their favorite mom and pop shows goes out of business and it's place is a chilis or olive garden? businesses aren't here forever, why are people shocked and sad when a 98 year old person dies, people die everyday and it was their time anyway right? They lived a ripe old age. People develop a bond with things over a time, same thing with sesame street or barney, your favorite cartoon going off air. tom and jerry has been on for i don't how long and it seems it will never go off since people hold the cartoon so dear. let them grieve. oh and k104 is NOT the same as whatever this talk show is. everyone does not enjoy rap and loud music, and ignorant people calling in about nonsense. some people do enjoy being informed on events other than what rap artist is getting out of jail for stupid stuff and who is beefing and who knocked who up, and this group versus that group.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:24 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,788,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
Lol I was wondering where he got his facts. Thanks for taking the time so I wouldn't have to.

Anyway, I feel their pain I'm still PO about 106.7 changing from the Texas Party Staion to The Casa! That was in 2004 and it still bugs me. It's changed a few times since then but it's still mainly a Spanish station I think. My radio dial never leaves 90.1 KERA
106.7 is currently called La Bonita, a Spanish Oldies station. 104.9 converted from Spanish to Hindi/Urdu and is called Funasia. They also broadcast on 700 Am. They just reflect the diversity we have here in DFW.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:41 PM

2,960 posts, read 3,528,276 times
Quote:
I have said before that DFW (and Houston too for that matter) is roughly about 20 years behind LA. Where Dallas is now is where LA was in the early 90's where we start seeing slowing white growth, steady black growth, and booming Asian and Hispanic growth. I too look at this a times changing.

I remember when KNAC went off the air in Los Angeles. So many people cried foul and whined and complained of a conspiracy against rock/metal. Now its a regional Mexican format. Despite the bellyaching, it simply went with the demographic and the money.

Los Angeles is a mess, why would we North Texans want our beloved area to end up like LA?

Old 01-03-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
Los Angeles is a mess, why would we North Texans want our beloved area to end up like LA?
I'm not saying we want to, I'm saying (on a demographic level) we don't have a choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas