U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 05:52 PM

169 posts, read 109,615 times

Advertisements

Dear all:

Before I post the actual question, please note: I am only looking for information due to some of our personal (possibly paranoid or unnecessary) concerns. My intention is not to make a political point or say that any or all fracking is harmful. I would appreciate direct replies to the question and not comments on whether the question is valid, misguided, etc.

I wanted to know which DFW areas are least affected by and / or farthest from operational or planned fracking sites - now and for the near future, either by way of distance from potential shale sites, or because of regulations banning / limiting fracking (if they exist)?

We have over the years become especially health conscious because of a special needs / disabled child and have recently moved to the DFW area. Like I said, I am aware that we could be completely wrong with our concern about this.

Without the fracking concern, we have been toying with the idea of buying in the Las Colinas area of Irving in about 6 months or so, or may be even Coppell (just found out Coppell actually has fracking sites). We are also open to other areas of DFW, preferably places with accessible public transportation.

Thanks for reading and understanding!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 06:10 PM

1,381 posts, read 943,661 times
Most of it is in Tarrant and Johnson county and further west. You should be fine where you are looking.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:30 PM

4,074 posts, read 4,133,597 times
They only start Fracing in your area after you've bought a home. Well, that been my experience anyhow.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:56 AM

I was told that both Las Colinas and Coppell are included in the Barnett Shale?

Would you know if that is true?
Is there any city or county in the DFW area that prohibits all fracking?

Thanks for reading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
Most of it is in Tarrant and Johnson county and further west. You should be fine where you are looking.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoDFW View Post
I was told that both Las Colinas and Coppell are included in the Barnett Shale?

Would you know if that is true?
Is there any city or county in the DFW area that prohibits all fracking?

Thanks for reading...
It is, but I don't remember seeing much activity. They won't do that, the city or school district tax minerals, so I doubt they would actively try to cut off revenue. Someone can correct me on that if I'm wrong. They do have ordinances on drilling but I think it's mainly restrictIng cosmetic things like lighting and noise, not banning drilling.

http://www.ci.irving.tx.us/city-atto...nance-8591.pdf

From what I understand, you mainly have to worry about disposable oil wells. Research those.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:42 PM

Is it fair to say there is no fracking or shale on the east side of Dallas?

Quote:
It is, but I don't remember seeing much activity. They won't do that, the city or school district tax minerals, so I doubt they would actively try to cut off revenue. Someone can correct me on that if I'm wrong. They do have ordinances on drilling but I think it's mainly restrictIng cosmetic things like lighting and noise, not banning drilling.

http://www.ci.irving.tx.us/city-atto...nance-8591.pdf

From what I understand, you mainly have to worry about disposable oil wells. Research those.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:53 PM

18,701 posts, read 17,465,963 times
Quote:
DFW airport is pretty much the dividing line with oil drilling. It includes west Coppell and the Flower Mound area.

To my knowledge there is No drilling east of the airport in Las Colinas, Irving, Carrollton, Dallas and east.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Probably, but the only comparable areas to coppell are Plano and Frisco IMO. The layout and smallish lots give it that look, but the water in Plano is just awful. I could never live somewhere I couldn't stand to drink the tap water. Your other option is Frisco, and they have that big battery recycling plant environmental issue. I think Las Colinas/Coppell is better overall. I wouldn't personally worry about the fracking.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:30 PM

323 posts, read 284,082 times
I don't think you are being paranoid. Fracking is a concern and its better to be safe specially when it comes to the health of your family. Coppell has fracking sites and there were some law suites as well. Some people even connect their former mayor's suicide to fracking controversy. I'm not sure if there is any truth behind it or not.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:15 PM

3,509 posts, read 2,965,873 times
Quote:
Probably, but the only comparable areas to coppell are Plano and Frisco IMO. The layout and smallish lots give it that look, but the water in Plano is just awful. I could never live somewhere I couldn't stand to drink the tap water. Your other option is Frisco, and they have that big battery recycling plant environmental issue. I think Las Colinas/Coppell is better overall. I wouldn't personally worry about the fracking.
Facts hurt a good story sometime. The NTMWD supplies Plano and Frisco and maybe ten other cities mostly to the north of Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas