U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 01-03-2013, 04:52 PM
 
187 posts, read 135,889 times
Reputation: 103

Advertisements

Dear all:

Before I post the actual question, please note: I am only looking for information due to some of our personal (possibly paranoid or unnecessary) concerns. My intention is not to make a political point or say that any or all fracking is harmful. I would appreciate direct replies to the question and not comments on whether the question is valid, misguided, etc.

I wanted to know which DFW areas are least affected by and / or farthest from operational or planned fracking sites - now and for the near future, either by way of distance from potential shale sites, or because of regulations banning / limiting fracking (if they exist)?

We have over the years become especially health conscious because of a special needs / disabled child and have recently moved to the DFW area. Like I said, I am aware that we could be completely wrong with our concern about this.

Without the fracking concern, we have been toying with the idea of buying in the Las Colinas area of Irving in about 6 months or so, or may be even Coppell (just found out Coppell actually has fracking sites). We are also open to other areas of DFW, preferably places with accessible public transportation.

Thanks for reading and understanding!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-03-2013, 05:10 PM
 
Location: Dallas
1,578 posts, read 1,134,885 times
Reputation: 2337
Most of it is in Tarrant and Johnson county and further west. You should be fine where you are looking.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2013, 05:30 PM
 
Location: Midland/Dallas
4,084 posts, read 4,566,968 times
Reputation: 2924
They only start Fracing in your area after you've bought a home. Well, that been my experience anyhow.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2013, 10:56 AM
 
187 posts, read 135,889 times
Reputation: 103
I was told that both Las Colinas and Coppell are included in the Barnett Shale?

Would you know if that is true?
Is there any city or county in the DFW area that prohibits all fracking?

Thanks for reading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
Most of it is in Tarrant and Johnson county and further west. You should be fine where you are looking.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2013, 02:00 PM
 
Location: Dallas
1,578 posts, read 1,134,885 times
Reputation: 2337
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoDFW View Post
I was told that both Las Colinas and Coppell are included in the Barnett Shale?

Would you know if that is true?
Is there any city or county in the DFW area that prohibits all fracking?

Thanks for reading...
It is, but I don't remember seeing much activity. They won't do that, the city or school district tax minerals, so I doubt they would actively try to cut off revenue. Someone can correct me on that if I'm wrong. They do have ordinances on drilling but I think it's mainly restrictIng cosmetic things like lighting and noise, not banning drilling.

http://www.ci.irving.tx.us/city-atto...nance-8591.pdf

From what I understand, you mainly have to worry about disposable oil wells. Research those.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2013, 03:42 PM
 
187 posts, read 135,889 times
Reputation: 103
Is it fair to say there is no fracking or shale on the east side of Dallas?


Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
It is, but I don't remember seeing much activity. They won't do that, the city or school district tax minerals, so I doubt they would actively try to cut off revenue. Someone can correct me on that if I'm wrong. They do have ordinances on drilling but I think it's mainly restrictIng cosmetic things like lighting and noise, not banning drilling.

http://www.ci.irving.tx.us/city-atto...nance-8591.pdf

From what I understand, you mainly have to worry about disposable oil wells. Research those.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2013, 03:53 PM
 
Location: DFW - Coppell / Las Colinas
19,208 posts, read 18,928,855 times
Reputation: 18806
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoDFW View Post
Is it fair to say there is no fracking or shale on the east side of Dallas?
DFW airport is pretty much the dividing line with oil drilling. It includes west Coppell and the Flower Mound area.

To my knowledge there is No drilling east of the airport in Las Colinas, Irving, Carrollton, Dallas and east.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2013, 04:05 PM
 
Location: Dallas
1,578 posts, read 1,134,885 times
Reputation: 2337
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoDFW View Post
Is it fair to say there is no fracking or shale on the east side of Dallas?
Probably, but the only comparable areas to coppell are Plano and Frisco IMO. The layout and smallish lots give it that look, but the water in Plano is just awful. I could never live somewhere I couldn't stand to drink the tap water. Your other option is Frisco, and they have that big battery recycling plant environmental issue. I think Las Colinas/Coppell is better overall. I wouldn't personally worry about the fracking.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2013, 05:30 PM
 
323 posts, read 315,444 times
Reputation: 262
I don't think you are being paranoid. Fracking is a concern and its better to be safe specially when it comes to the health of your family. Coppell has fracking sites and there were some law suites as well. Some people even connect their former mayor's suicide to fracking controversy. I'm not sure if there is any truth behind it or not.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2013, 06:15 PM
 
3,865 posts, read 3,427,797 times
Reputation: 2389
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
Probably, but the only comparable areas to coppell are Plano and Frisco IMO. The layout and smallish lots give it that look, but the water in Plano is just awful. I could never live somewhere I couldn't stand to drink the tap water. Your other option is Frisco, and they have that big battery recycling plant environmental issue. I think Las Colinas/Coppell is better overall. I wouldn't personally worry about the fracking.
Facts hurt a good story sometime. The NTMWD supplies Plano and Frisco and maybe ten other cities mostly to the north of Dallas.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $94,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2015, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top