Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 12:11 PM

4 posts, read 5,329 times

Advertisements

I am moving from Cincinnati, OH to Dallas in a couple months and will be working in the downtown area. A short commute time is very important to me. I would prefer 20 minutes or less, although it seems like that might be tough there. I have no children, so a good school disrict would be preferred, but not mandatory. Also, I am a single professional (30s) and would like to be near shopping, dining and other entertainment. Not sure whether nor not I will rent or buy, and am definitely looking for recommendations.

If I were to buy, I could probably spent between $180k and $280k. Access to public transportation (DART) would be preferred.

Help! Thank you for all your advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 12:20 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbrack98 View Post
I am moving from Cincinnati, OH to Dallas in a couple months and will be working in the downtown area. A short commute time is very important to me. I would prefer 20 minutes or less, although it seems like that might be tough there. I have no children, so a good school disrict would be preferred, but not mandatory. Also, I am a single professional (30s) and would like to be near shopping, dining and other entertainment. Not sure whether nor not I will rent or buy, and am definitely looking for recommendations.

If I were to buy, I could probably spent between $180k and $280k. Access to public transportation (DART) would be preferred.

I'd rent in The Village or Uptown; your commute will be a lot easier and you'll have a nice neighborhood of people mainly your age and of a similar station in life while you get familiar with the area.

If you want to be in Dallas proper with that budget, you most likely won't be in an area with good schools. This is because most of the schools in Dallas itself are terrible.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:24 PM

Smile re: Moving to Dallas Area - Advice?

Thank you for the quick reply, BigDGeek. So uptown or the village would make the most sense for a good area that is a short commute to downtown? You would recommend renting because a max of $280k or $300k wouldn't be enough?

Do both uptown and the village areas have a DART station nearby that would allow for a train that goes downtown?

Old 01-04-2013, 12:37 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,861,784 times
Quote:
Thank you for the quick reply, BigDGeek. So uptown or the village would make the most sense for a good area that is a short commute to downtown? You would recommend renting because a max of $280k or $300k wouldn't be enough?

Do both uptown and the village areas have a DART station nearby that would allow for a train that goes downtown?
For The Village, there are a couple of nearby stations (Lover's Lane, Park Lane). You would probably need to jump on a neighborhood bus that would then take you to the local station.

Uptown doesn't really have it's own station either. The City Place station is the local one, but it is serviced by the McKinney Avenue streetcars. The streetcars do go into downtown with only a station at St. Paul/Ross at this time, but an expansion is underway.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:

No, you can buy a nice house in many areas of Dallas for $300k or less. However this area is so enormous with so many different kinds of neighborhoods that I think it's wiser to rent first while you get familiar with it. Plus, you might move here and hate it; if you've bought a house you are more stuck than if you just sign a six month or one year lease.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:11 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,543,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
No, you can buy a nice house in many areas of Dallas for $300k or less. However this area is so enormous with so many different kinds of neighborhoods that I think it's wiser to rent first while you get familiar with it. Plus, you might move here and hate it; if you've bought a house you are more stuck than if you just sign a six month or one year lease.
What about home/condo/townhome prices within 20 min or so drive of downtown? I would imagine they would be somewhat north of the OP's stated price range, but haven't really looked in depth at real estate prices for buying yet.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:13 PM

743 posts, read 1,320,512 times
Quote:

There's a ton of housing within 20 minutes of downtown for under $280k. But as always there are tradeoffs. If you don't mind a 1 bedroom apartment there are condos pretty much everywhere that fit that bill. You might be able to find a smallish townhouse close to White Rock Lake, too. You could buy any house right next to the Fair Park DART line station, but...you'd need a certain type of spirit to do well there. North Oak Cliff has many options as well. Generally everyone here will tell you to rent before you buy so you know what you're getting into. I, of course, agree.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
What about home/condo/townhome prices within 20 min or so drive of downtown? I would imagine they would be somewhat north of the OP's stated price range, but haven't really looked in depth at real estate prices for buying yet.
I wouldn't bother with a townhouse or condo in most areas in Dallas as they can be extremely difficult to sell. TC80 has a better handle on where a townhouse or condo might be worth even considering but I personally would not buy one.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:24 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,543,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I wouldn't bother with a townhouse or condo in most areas in Dallas as they can be extremely difficult to sell. TC80 has a better handle on where a townhouse or condo might be worth even considering but I personally would not buy one.
We have a friend who sold a 4-level luxury townhome near the Farmers Market downtown fairly quickly last year... My partner & I are DONE with yardwork (12 years in the house we're leaving) - we would love a townhome in a convenient area!

Old 01-04-2013, 01:26 PM

This is very helpful, and I appreciate all the replies. It sounds like renting would be the better option...........at least initially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas