Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 01:55 AM

11 posts, read 56,556 times

Advertisements

Our family will be relocating to Dallas for 5 years as part of a job transfer. Our estimated arrival is Sept 2013. During our time in Dallas we will have one child in elementary school. My office is in the home, but spend a lot of time on the road. Safety, good schools and family fun activities is important. In our visit to Dallas, my wife really seemed to like the Frisco area. Seemed like a kid friendly place and close to a lot of nice restaurants, shopping, etc. Do you feel Frisco is a good place or would you recommend another area?

We are leaning towards building a new home with a price range of $350K-$475K. It seems Richwoods and Phillips Creek Ranch is getting a lot of hype. Would you recommend one community over the other? Would you recommend a completely different community? We heard a lot of people refer to East or West Frisco. Is one a better area to live than the other? Given all the homes and new constructions do you envision it will be hard to sell in Frisco after 5 years?

We are coming in knowing little, so guidance any of you could give would be "greatly" appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 12:49 PM

1,399 posts, read 2,175,593 times
I think Plano, Frisco, Allen, and McKinney are all very similar in terms of safety and being family-oriented. All have good, but not great, schools. I live in NW Frisco and really like it. East Frisco, particularly the NE, has a lot of new construction (including building out roads) although the two developments you mentioned are not in NE Frisco.

I think you will get a lot more house for your money if you buy used. I've read a few threads on here about Richwoods and it seems like the prices keep going up and up. I'm not sure how the other development is going to be priced, however. You can get a very nice house that is only a few years old for your budget.

But if you are dead-set on a new home, there are plenty of other new neighborhoods in NE and NW Frisco that match your budget so I would advise that you look around as much as you can.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:30 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
If the development is not built out in 5 yrs, you will take a huge hit when selling. Why buy yours when a new one is available around the corner? The answer is you will have to offer a big price difference. Buy an existing house in a built out area if 5 yrs is the limit. Between commissions and closing costs, you might break even.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:37 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
If the development is not built out in 5 yrs, you will take a huge hit when selling. Why buy yours when a new one is available around the corner? The answer is you will have to offer a big price difference. Buy an existing house in a built out area if 5 yrs is the limit. Between commissions and closing costs, you might break even.
This is good advice. I live in a very well-established area, bought my house 3.5 years ago, and would come out about $13k ahead if I sold my house for a conservative estimate.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:48 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
If you absolutely know your Dallas contract is 5 years max, I would strongly consider not buying if you expect to cover your down payment + realtor commissions/ closing costs when you sell. 5 years is about the minimum amount of time one needs in the DFW area to see the 10% appreciation needed to cover commissions + closing.

I know some people just prefer to live in their own home vs renting, so if that is your preference just be aware that it's unlikely you would make any money ( you might even lose a little) and be open to existing construction to mitigate your risk. You definitely don't want to be competing against brand new homes in 5 years if the sub-div isn't built out yet.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:58 PM

1,399 posts, read 2,175,593 times
My house was built in 2005 in one of the really hot parts of Frisco at the time. I'm not the original owner, but if they still owned the house and tried to sell it today they would probably get hit with a $15-25k loss. We bought the house in 2009 and if we sold it today, we would probably make $20-30k. Can you take that kind of hit?

So keep in mind that just because Richwoods is the hot neighborhood now, will it still be the same in 5 years? I'm already seeing people complain about the high house prices and the HOA cost (much more than most neighborhoods in Frisco). What if people finally decide it's not worth the price?

Old 01-07-2013, 03:50 PM

227 posts, read 529,154 times
In plain English, better to buy a pre existing house in an established neighborhood with great location and top schools and stable resale prices.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:26 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
West Plano or North Richardson would be a much better investment.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:13 AM

6 posts, read 11,386 times
The Plano area is a great area to live in. It's safe and family friendly (I have family that lives there) and the schools are excellent.
Moderator cut: cannot cite competitor

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 01-08-2013 at 02:22 PM..

Old 01-11-2013, 02:06 AM

11 posts, read 56,556 times
Does anyone have any input on neighborhoods you would recommend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas