Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2013, 07:06 PM

69 posts, read 120,088 times

Advertisements

I was looking for any input on "Savoy of Josey Ranch" in Carrollton, any help would be aprecciated.

I've been reading some threads and see alot of negatives on the city overall,we were (Wife and Son) in Dallas last month looking around mostly in Coppell and Valley Ranch we also drove to North Carrollton I didn't see anything too wrong with it apart from the drive.

I was wondering about that area because the equivalent houses in Coppell,V.R. would be about $300-350 thousand and we wouldn't want to go that high property taxes being what they are. We also eliminated N. Carrollton due to the drive ,so I guess my question would be besides the area itself what would the commute be like,work is roughly 9 miles in Las Colinas.

Forgot to mention because I'm sure someone will recommend Plano we wouldn't want to live that far from work,I've lived in L.A. and know anything over 15 miles is jut ridiculous IMO.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-07-2013 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: new thread started for OP's specific questions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 09:18 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,746,469 times
Look around Crooked Creek and the Nob Hill Area north of McCoy and PGBT. Carrollton has a very long set of greenbelts and a great trail system. Schools are not bad either especially north of PGBT. Hispanic test scores in CFBISD are on par with whites and asians, too.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:29 PM

323 posts, read 633,376 times
Some parts of Carrollton, specially ones bordering Collin County are pretty nice but no idea about their schools.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:26 AM

67 posts, read 164,234 times
Some of the parts near Collin County are Dallas ISD, some are Lewisville, and some are Carrollton, so do your research there. Sounds like that's further away than you'll want to be anyway.

Having grown up in Carrollton, it's not bad. I think the majority of negative opionions come from either experiencing the southern end of it, near Belt Line where it has deteriorated some, or from remembering it in the pre-PGBT glory. It was MUCH nicer before that went in! The area NE of PGBT and Josey was full of big soccer fields, there was less traffic and smog, etc. It seems like that time is when a lot of business moved elsewhere and it started declining some. The above suggested area is nice, near Old Denton to the north or the south of PGBT/Trinity Mills. I have to agree with some of the posts by momof2 (or similar name). I remember my parents having very similar complaints. I think once that began, people moved on to Plano and Frisco, so that gives you an idea of who used to be in Carrollton.

The schools are great, and there are charter schools if you do have issues. Not sure if they still are, but the main high school was very influenced by the big First Baptist Church on Josey, especially the high school across the street. Nice if you're a Baptist family, but if your children are not Baptist, this can be a nuisance. I remember being irritated with their influence on the city as a whole and I wasn't alone. That church bought out several houses on the street just next to them, off of Josey, and who knows what they're doing with them. I'd always heard from people who lived in those houses that the church officials were aggressively "making offers" from day 1 because they said they wanted to expand their parking lot to have access to the light. One by one, they all eventually gave in, but last time I was out that way, they're all still standing and this happened probably 10-15 years ago. That's a LOT of money spent to have plans fall through. It might have changed since, I left when I finished high school and have lived elsewhere ever since. I have nothing against Baptists, just was a different faith and felt heavily peer-pressured. That's not the worst type of pressure, I guess. There was a lot of drinking, too. Since I went there, 2 new high schools opened, maybe 3. Creekview seems well-liked and I think the area north of of PGBT and E of Old Denton would feed into that, and is a very pretty neighborhood with older homes. It's not as cookie-cutter as most other Carrollton neighborhoods.

Carrollton's 4th of July event was always a lot of fun and it has grown. It used to be near the police station/former library, but moved to the middle school athletic field. I'm not sure if that's still where they have it. Do they still use that ampitheater next to the police station? I remember seeing this (at the time) little-known band play there back in the day, with maybe like 20 people in the audience. They certainly got a few more fans since then, they were Bowling for Soup!

If it were me, I'd probably be looking at Coppell more than Carrollton. I love the community involvement in Coppell, there are always community activities, and their city rec/aquatic center is nicer, IMO. We have friends that live there and seem extremely happy. I don't see many towns where the entire city goes to high school sporting and arts events like they do in Coppell. Maybe becasue they're smaller?

Really, just spend time in both, that's the best way to decide what's best for you and your family. Go to some of the community events and pick where you feel most welcome.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:54 PM

695 posts, read 1,447,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.2Orlando2Dallas View Post
I was looking for any input on "Savoy of Josey Ranch" in Carrollton, any help would be aprecciated.

I've been reading some threads and see alot of negatives on the city overall,we were (Wife and Son) in Dallas last month looking around mostly in Coppell and Valley Ranch we also drove to North Carrollton I didn't see anything too wrong with it apart from the drive.

I was wondering about that area because the equivalent houses in Coppell,V.R. would be about $300-350 thousand and we wouldn't want to go that high property taxes being what they are. We also eliminated N. Carrollton due to the drive ,so I guess my question would be besides the area itself what would the commute be like,work is roughly 9 miles in Las Colinas.

Forgot to mention because I'm sure someone will recommend Plano we wouldn't want to live that far from work,I've lived in L.A. and know anything over 15 miles is jut ridiculous IMO.
We used to live in that neighborhood. The elementary school was not up to par for us. Stick to North Carrollton.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-07-2013 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: edited quoted text
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas