U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 02:34 PM

743 posts, read 1,160,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Dallas definitely has an arts scene but a couple of people I knew from the old neighborhood grew up to be artists (subsidized by mom and dad) and they complain that there isn't an area of Dallas with a coalesced community of artists. I wouldn't know from personal experience.
Yeah, but that's true of anywhere. Even Bushwick is over. I think it's in the artist DNA to complain about us.

I did chuckle when the OP asked about West Village and Mockingbird Station...must have been very lost. Oh, and the hipsters/artists aren't at Whole Foods, they're at the Farmers Market. Probably standing in line at Pecan Lodge.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 03:28 PM

30 posts, read 86,226 times
Relevant news today regarding this hipster thread:
ArtPlace America names the Dallas Arts District as one of the of Top 12 ArtPlaces for 2013! Read the Dallas portion.

It covers that the Dallas Arts District, with parts of Deep Ellum and Exposition Park.

If they drew the circle larger, it would hit the Belmont Hotel art gallery and Bishop Arts.

Very much a hipster scene.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:46 PM

507 posts, read 1,250,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Considering Coming Back View Post
I did chuckle when the OP asked about West Village and Mockingbird Station...must have been very lost.
Well, I just assumed because of the Angelika/Magnolia being over there that there'd be some sort of an art scene. I did see some hipsters walking into the Magnolia, lol.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:20 PM

2,982 posts, read 8,642,833 times
Try Texas Theater for movies and hipsters.
Drinks at The Foundry.
Maybe karaoke at Doublewide on Thurs nights - it's called Good Luck and Oliver Peck is a host when he isn't judging Inkmasters.
Vegan hipsters at Spiral Diner or Kalachandjis.
Food shopping hipsters at Urban Acres.
Coffee Hipsters at Cultivar...but they are anxiously awaiting Houndstooth. Oddfellows for the hipsters in NOC - you'll be waited on by hipsters too.
All day breakfast hipsters at The All Good.
Anyway...you get the idea - North Oak Cliff and East Dallas.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:24 AM

9 posts, read 23,960 times
DeSoto or Irving

Old 01-09-2013, 08:36 AM

181 posts, read 209,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenthumb19 View Post
DeSoto or Irving
Really Irving? Ive been to Irving. It is very industrial and uptight. I would say North Cliff is where the hipsters are. Try Davis/Bishop then Zang for some good food. For night life: the Prophet at Deep Ellum, the Foundry (bar), Granada on Greenville, or Kessler. The only real hipster type of community is Bishop but there are hipster areas mixed in with othere areas. Greenville, downtown, fair park, deep ellum.

Pick up a dallas observer or go online (Dallas Events and Entertainment Calendar | Dallas Observer), go to Go Oak Cliff for information on Oak cliff.

Denton has a small hipster scene. There is a lot of unique bars like Home - Oak St. Drafthouse. I'm not sure how hipster/artsy it is, but it is a nice place to have a drink, sit with you dog and friends, and listen to music.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:24 AM

828 posts, read 1,508,986 times
Is hipster a new name for the old hippy?

Old 01-11-2013, 08:24 AM

2,982 posts, read 8,642,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Willie View Post
Is hipster a new name for the old hippy?
No. Hippies are still hippies. Lol!!!

Old 01-11-2013, 09:07 AM

67 posts, read 147,662 times
Denton has a bit of a hipster scene on the northern end, near the colleges and downtown square. Lots of independent art galleries and cool shops on and just north of the square. The only other places I can really think of would be Deep Ellum, which is kind-of re-emerging again after years of crime, and maybe a few pockets near the M streets or Lake Highlands? I know a few artsy types that live in those areas, but I'm not sure if the area itself fits.

I don't think there's much here that compares to the Bushwick/Williamsburg scene. Denton would probably be the closest you would find to that.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:43 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,599,174 times
Uptown is yuppie and preppie. Lots of bros getting their drunk on and the women who love them. Barely a tattoo, beardo, or fixed-gear bicycle in sight.

If you're looking for hipsters, you'll be looking for a long time. Hipsters will go to the Magnolia depending on what's playing but you're not going to see them at the bar at Mi Cocina afterward or joining in the general carousing or squealing through the parking lot in Benzes and Beemers. (Though a few hipsters have been spotted at the bar at Union Bear, which is run by guys from Oak Cliff so it figures.)

You should look at Deep Ellum which is undergoing a quiet resurgence since the opening of the DART Line. Lots more bars and hangouts than there were a few years ago. Lots of loft living and industrial spaces. And there's live original music in Deep Ellum, absolutely none in Uptown.

Deep Ellum, Texas

And the new, undiscovered hipster area is just east of Deep Ellum which some are now calling New East Elm, basically it's Peak & Elm (Where a new chefster restaurant with that name is opening soon)

Peak And Elm Concina And Bar Opening Soon In East Dallas | cravedfw

http://dallas.eater.com/tags/new-east-elm

Or hang out at the nearby It'll Do club on a weekend night It'll DO Club - East Dallas - Dallas, TX

Or see a band or a DJ at Queen City Tattoo.

Hipsters as far as the eye can see. And it hasn't been discovered by the Dallas equivalent of New York's bridge'n'tunnel crowd or Miami's causeway kids so the hipsters can still say they like it unironically.

And you should check out North Oak Cliff too though it has been "discovered" so it may not be hipster enough at this point.

Last edited by TrueDat; 01-11-2013 at 11:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or