Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 03:59 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,558,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
A NOLA friend passed on this recipe to me and I plan to try it. She basically doubled the amount of cinnamon sugar and went through the trouble of twisting two dough rolls instead of one plain ring. I am going to attempt to do an actual braid. Southern Bite – Stacey Little's Southern Food Blog – Mardi Gras King Cake
It starts with a Pillsbury mix. Ew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 04:58 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,545,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
(and Cafe du Monde Coffee & beignet mix YUM)
To my great surprise and delight, I've found these things in quite a few different stores in my short time here in Dallas!

Old 01-23-2013, 04:07 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feufoma View Post
Acadian Bakery in Houston bakes the real deal and ships. Surprised Mardi Gras is a big deal now in Dallas. ..
So I'm not the only one who was chuckling a bit at this thread. Never found good king cake in Dallas. The grocery store cakes were just large cinnamon rolls, like someone mentioned earlier. I'm getting a cake from Acadian this year. Maybe they will deliver to Dallas.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:56 PM

40 posts, read 50,666 times
I'm from Shreveport and I was gonna suggest Julie Ann's bakery as well. They are delicious!!!!

Old 01-28-2013, 10:40 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,814 times
Bread Winners offers King Cake’s for Mardi Gras | Dallas Food Nerd

Old 02-07-2013, 08:21 AM

161 posts, read 240,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
It starts with a Pillsbury mix. Ew.
If you look at the ingredients of the Pillsbury hot roll mix, you will see that it is all the ingredients you would use to make dough for bread, pizza crust and cinnamon rolls from scratch. The ingredients for the hot roll mix are enriched flour, salt and sugar- it comes with the yeast packet and you add your own oil and water. Most people I know do not make dough from scratch so the mix simplifies things and allows you to make it from scratch by having it all in one box. As a foodie myself, I can simply use my own King Arthur flour and yeast and adapt to the recipe very easily without using the Pillsbury mix. You do know that if you look at the recipe for even the Haydel's king cake recipe, the ingredients are pretty much the same- flour, yeast, etc. in addition to whatever flavoring they use, plus shortening.

FWIW, if anyone wants to order a legit King Cake from NOLA, Sucre on Magazine St (in NOLA) is another good alternative if you wanted to pay a little less of a shipping cost. It is known more for their confections, chocolates and macarons, and they don't have the history of Haydel's or Randazzo's but my friends tell me their King Cake is pretty good, and it has pretty good reviews online. Instead of the usual (and expensive) one day shipping option Haydel's and Randazzo's uses, Sucre offers a 2 day shipping option and guarantees it will be fresh (I would think it would have to be or they wouldn't offer that shipping option) which makes shipping cost less. They've modernized the appearance of their King Cake and it has a glossy, shimmery sheen on their icing vs. the traditional look of icing with colored sugar poured on top.

http://www.shopsucre.com/sucre-king-cake.html

We are hosting Mardi Gras dinner and I have muffellatas and Zapp's chips, plus gumbo and a mini shrimp boil with Abita on the menu. I order my King Cake from Gambino's because I like that they ship the cake with the icing and sugars separately so you can ice/decorate your cake when you get it. Because I cannot trust what the FedEx guy does to my boxes, I've received many a Haydel's cake upside down with the King Cake looking smooshed and the icing looking like a mess because of what it went through in transit, so for aesthetics and taste (I'd consider them 2nd to Haydel's or Randazzo's), I order theirs.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:30 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,482,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty_Baylor99 View Post
FWIW, if anyone wants to order a legit King Cake from NOLA, Sucre on Magazine St (in NOLA) is another good alternative if you wanted to pay a little less of a shipping cost. It is known more for their confections, chocolates and macarons, and they don't have the history of Haydel's or Randazzo's but my friends tell me their King Cake is pretty good, and it has pretty good reviews online. Instead of the usual (and expensive) one day shipping option Haydel's and Randazzo's uses, Sucre offers a 2 day shipping option and guarantees it will be fresh (I would think it would have to be or they wouldn't offer that shipping option) which makes shipping cost less. They've modernized the appearance of their King Cake and it has a glossy, shimmery sheen on their icing vs. the traditional look of icing with colored sugar poured on top.

Impress Your Guests With A New Orleans Tradition
I love Sucre! When we are in N.O., I always come home with an assortment of macaroons.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,185 times
Default Best King Cake in Dallas

Believe it or not, the best king cakes I've had here are from Kroger. They come out in mid/late January. Everything is from somewhere in N.O. and the kroger bakery bakes and decorates them. If I remember they ran about $6.00. You can't beat that price! They closely remind me of Gambino's king cakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas