U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 05:13 AM

2 posts, read 3,274 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I will be relocating to Texas for work. I have never been to Texas. My job will be in the administrative building of the DFW Airport. So I need to go to the airport everyday. I have a 3 year old and a 8 year old. My priority is first safety, then schools and then commute. Please advice on a central location for renting an apartment for now(please suggest some apartments). Would eventually like to buy. Budget would be around 300K. Flower Mound and Coppell seems to be most prefered areas from reading other posts and within my budget. How about Southlake ? Seems like there are mixed reviews in terms of 'Keeping with the Jones' reputation, which I cannot meet.Please correct me if I am wrong.

Coming from the NYC area, would love to have public transport option if at all possible. If not then I would like to keep the commute time under 20 mins(is it even possible ?). Currently I spend 1.20 mins each way. Would love to spend that extra time at home with the kids. Need a good daycare for the 3 year old and a good school for the older one(2nd grade)

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 05:26 AM

23,970 posts, read 32,680,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summermint View Post
Hi All,

I will be relocating to Texas for work. I have never been to Texas. My job will be in the administrative building of the DFW Airport. So I need to go to the airport everyday. I have a 3 year old and a 8 year old. My priority is first safety, then schools and then commute. Please advice on a central location for renting an apartment for now(please suggest some apartments). Would eventually like to buy. Budget would be around 300K. Flower Mound and Coppell seems to be most prefered areas from reading other posts and within my budget. How about Southlake ? Seems like there are mixed reviews in terms of 'Keeping with the Jones' reputation, which I cannot meet.Please correct me if I am wrong.

Coming from the NYC area, would love to have public transport option if at all possible. If not then I would like to keep the commute time under 20 mins(is it even possible ?). Currently I spend 1.20 mins each way. Would love to spend that extra time at home with the kids. Need a good daycare for the 3 year old and a good school for the older one(2nd grade)

Thank you!
Southlake is out of your price range and Coppell probably is too.

Check out Valley Ranch in Irving and Grapevine; they're both closer to the airport than Flower Mound.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:15 AM

443 posts, read 991,815 times
Plenty of apartments to rent in Coppell, VR & Grapevine, very few in Flower Mound. Good rental apartments may not be readily available so start looking in advance. You can find a house in your budget in Coppell, Flower Mound, Valley Ranch and Grapevine but will have to act fast specially in Coppell & FM - I am hearing multiple offers in the last few months specially on houses under 400K. You will have to compromise on the age & inventory specially in Grapevine and Coppell followed by VR and FM.
Valley Ranch, Grapevine and Coppell will take between 5-15 mins to the DFW airport depending on the location. FM will take you 10 -20 mins depending on the location. Property taxes are lowest in FM and highest in Coppell. FM & Coppell schools are highly rated. In Valley Ranch choose an apartment/house that falls under Coppell ISD.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:35 AM

31,747 posts, read 36,423,371 times
Under $300k, my favorite areas that would work for you is Flower Mound, Keller / North Ft Worth, Bedford and Grapevine. All have excellent schools.

We have very mediocre mass transit here, you'll need a car.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:41 AM

9,806 posts, read 20,430,066 times
There is no public transit that serves the non-terminal areas of DFW Airport, and none in the cities surrounding the airport, so you must have a car. The administrative building is much too far away from the terminals for you to be able to walk.

I would recommend looking first in Grapevine. There are a lot of houses in your price range, and quite a few apartments to rent. The school district is Grapevine Colleyville Independent School District / Overview and is very good. From our neighborhood in Grapevine, I can be at the terminals in 15 minutes without even getting on the highway. Many people on our street work for AA, and we bought our house from a retiring AA pilot! (DM me if you want a recommendation on houses.)

Apartment occupancy rates are running quite high all over the area with all of the relocations like yourself, so be prepared!

I agree that Southlake and Coppell are both out of your budget. You really need at least $400k for Southlake.

Commute from Keller or north Fort Worth to DFW can be horrible. There was a poster a few months ago who said this commute was talking her husband almost an hour daily, and most of it was just sitting in traffic. I would not recommend that area just because of the commute.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:51 AM

6,948 posts, read 19,389,010 times
Check out northwest Euless -- in the GCISD. I actually saw a very reasonably priced rental there on bidselect.com I like Grapevine, but Euless is closer to the airport and the northwest section has homes in the same school district as Grapevine. Its a fine area and close to DFW with good schools. Colleyville is a great area, too, that's close to the airport with great schools. Rentals are just hard to find and certainly you would rent initially! look for rentals on www.zillow.com

Old 01-09-2013, 09:09 AM

11,917 posts, read 22,182,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Southlake is out of your price range and Coppell probably is too.

Check out Valley Ranch in Irving and Grapevine; they're both closer to the airport than Flower Mound.
The average price in Coppell is in the $200k's so if OP doesn't suffer from the "moving to Texas, must buy the biggest freaking house ever and it MUST BE BRAND NEW" syndrome, then Coppell is an excellent choice. If he does suffer from huge/new house syndrome, then Flower Mound is a more in that price range.

Both have great schools. Both meet the commute desire of under 20 min.

No public transit options though, OP. get a drivers license if you don't already have one!!

Old 01-09-2013, 11:06 AM

6,948 posts, read 19,389,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
The average price in Coppell is in the $200k's so if OP doesn't suffer from the "moving to Texas, must buy the biggest freaking house ever and it MUST BE BRAND NEW" syndrome, then Coppell is an excellent choice. If he does suffer from huge/new house syndrome, then Flower Mound is a more in that price range.

Both have great schools. Both meet the commute desire of under 20 min.

No public transit options though, OP. get a drivers license if you don't already have one!!
Under 20 minutes from Coppell or Flower Mound to DFW isn't accurate, especially in rush hour traffic. Routes of 2499, Denton Tap Road or MacArthur are slow and congested. I have lived in Valley Ranch (closer than Coppell and it took me at least 20-30 min in rush hour) and now live in Las Colinas; now about 7 mies to the airport and 20 minutes in rush hour is not always possible for the short distance I drive even on back roads due to traffic. Sometimes I make it in 10 minutes, sometimes it takes about 25 minutes. If I had to drive from my house to DFW every day for work, I would plan on 25 minutes to be sure to be there on time, and I am about 8-10 miles closer than Coppell depending on where in Coppell. I like Coppell very much but would rather drive to DFW from Grapevine or Euless than Coppell. If you live locally, it becomes readily apparent that while Coppell is wonderful it is also difficult as far as traffic patterns. Flower Mound is even worse! However if you are willing to deal with a 40 minute drive, both are great.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:39 AM

18 posts, read 33,207 times
You should look in advance, there is a very nice complex located at 351 sh 121 Bypass in Lewisville, but it is zoned as Coppell ISD, within your price range I would say if you can compromise on newer Coppell would be a perfect fit, resale is excellent. Flower Mound is a good area also and there you can have a newer home. Public transportation is terrible here, you'll need a car.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:41 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,439,583 times
I know lots of people that work at DFW and live in the Trinity Blvd area south of DFW. There are lots of apartments there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or