Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 09:09 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,684,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw1234 View Post
Great, I'll check out the Knox Henderson area, seems a little further away from work but looks like some quality apartments.

Uptown is in the city? How safe is it there?

Does anyone have any experience with this place? Colonial Reserve at Las Colinas | Irving TX
There are many nice apartments around Lake Carolyn in LC. Also look at condos for rent in Grand Treviso, its nice. There's a DART train you can walk to and some nice canals to walk around. Lots of young professionals in the area. Not much of a night life but most of the apartments have activities for the tenants to get together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 07:31 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,170,832 times
Uptown is yuppie central in Dallas: It's walkable; is dense (by Dallas standards); has tons of restaurants/bars and big, modern apartment complexes; has the CityPlace DART stop; the free trolley if you're going into downtown; is reasonably safe; and is close to Central Expressway, the Dallas North Tollway, and I-35. Las Colinas is nice but, except for eating out, you'll be bored out of your wits.

Check out the link below to get a good idea of things going on in Uptown. The downside: apartments can be pricey.

Uptown Dallas - Main

Old 01-14-2013, 10:30 AM

326 posts, read 962,175 times
Uptown or Downtown would be good and both are very walkable. You should also check out Victory Park and the Design District, a bit quieter but with easy access to I-35. Staying in those central neighborhoods you'd be close to local restaurants, nightlife, parks, bike trails, public transportation... and the reverse commute wouldn't be bad.

It all depends on the neighborhood atmosphere and type of apartment community you'd like to live in.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:50 PM

743 posts, read 1,320,512 times
You might like Addison. It has the same suburban young professional vibe that Old Town has. The draw back is the commute on LBJ/635, but no worse than crossing town from Knox/Henderson (and I think you'll find more kindred spirits than Knox/Henderson).

Old 01-14-2013, 04:47 PM

792 posts, read 1,221,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Considering Coming Back View Post
You might like Addison. It has the same suburban young professional vibe that Old Town has. The draw back is the commute on LBJ/635, but no worse than crossing town from Knox/Henderson (and I think you'll find more kindred spirits than Knox/Henderson).
I'm sorry but I really have to disagree with this. Old town is more than 250 years old and there are lots of things about it that make it feel very quaint. Addison is not quaint. Many people don't own or don't use cars, for example. It's true that in Addison there are a few restaurants to walk to but in OT you can also (and we did) walk to church, schools, grocery store, doctor, dentist, and many parks. I suppose I can see some parallels between the Carlyle/Eisenhauer area of Alexandria and Addison but not Old Town.

I don't mean to sound snarky...just don't agree with this.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:59 PM

743 posts, read 1,320,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTC Mom View Post
I'm sorry but I really have to disagree with this. Old town is more than 250 years old and there are lots of things about it that make it feel very quaint. Addison is not quaint. Many people don't own or don't use cars, for example. It's true that in Addison there are a few restaurants to walk to but in OT you can also (and we did) walk to church, schools, grocery store, doctor, dentist, and many parks. I suppose I can see some parallels between the Carlyle/Eisenhauer area of Alexandria and Addison but not Old Town.

I don't mean to sound snarky...just don't agree with this.
The people are the same. Nothing in Dallas looks like DC.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:34 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,747,091 times
I'd also consider the suburbs.

Legacy In Plano - Living in Legacy

Old 01-16-2013, 12:18 PM

625 posts, read 667,291 times
I just replied to someone else moving from DC - funny! I lived in OT alexandria and Delray from '05-10. I am not particularly high on Las Colinas or Addison (not quaint/walkable/particularly interesting - in my very humble opinion), but that said, I have friends that live there and they are good commutes to Irving.

You may like Uptown - walkabout to grocery stores/restaurants/nightlife...etc. Its just north of downtown. Its a bit young for me, so I rarely go there anymore. But I lived there before moving to DC and enjoyed it at that time in my life. A bit more expensive (although its all relative) than other areas of Dallas. Commute would be fine.

You may like Knox-Henderson or the M streets areas. Bit more of a commute - but an active lifestyle.

If you lived (and loved OT Alexandria), you will hate the Dallas suburbs. I am from the suburbs...and I LOVED OT. Trust me. There is nothing in common. But - you may enjoy big closets, great parking spaces, cleanliness of suburbs...so there are plusses I admit.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:20 PM

4 posts, read 7,825 times
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I just got back to DC today after a visit to the Dallas area!

I love it. I got to check out the north irving/Las Colinas area where i'll be working, and I got to go into downtown(cool cheap Italian restaurant on main st), The galleria mall (HOLY CRAP THIS THING IS SERIOUS)
and the uptown area.

I really liked everything I saw so far, and i enjoy'd the different people as well. We ended up find a great apartment community,AMLI at Escena It's got a resort feel and trust me when i say nothing is available this nice at this price point in the DC metro area.

However, the girlfriend and I were really impressed when we drove through uptown (after signing a lease for the above community). I can see us hanging in that area nearly every weekend to come. And possibly moving there in 12 months after we get acquainted more to the Dallas Metro area. I wasn't aware there was actually parking garages in uptown .

One last thing, I found a $2 daily parking in downtown. Everything is bigger (Cheaper) in Texas.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:45 PM

974 posts, read 2,185,284 times
Being relatively close to where you'll work is a plus. Based on your location, you're a short distance from George Bush Turnpike which will be a preferred route should you ever want to check out N. Dallas area.
635 (LBJ) is the loop but it will be a bear for the next few years at the I-35 junction due to construction.
For a good American Bistro... check out Champs off MacArthur and 114, I forget the shopping center it's in but GPS it and you'll find it okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas