Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 03:11 PM

2 posts, read 5,041 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of looking for a space to open an Irish bar/rest. It would look similar to Trinity Hall Pub but not as nice. I had a Pub in Chicago a few years back and am looking in up and coming area's. I surely don't have deep pockets like the major Irish chains so I need to find a place like Deep Ellum or ? Any thoughts or ideas??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 03:47 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,237,694 times
Deep Ellum as we know it may not be around much longer. Major changes have been proposed to turn into another uptown or mockingbird station. It is not set in stone that this will happen, but at the moment things are shaky.

Rents in Deep Ellum are already on the rise, and many long time businesses can no longer afford to stay open. Dart Light Rail will be coming through in a few years as well. If the redevelopment does happen your rent would wither go sky high, or you would simply be forced out to make way for bright new shiny condos and upscale retail.

Another area to check out might be Lower Greenville. About the only obstacle there is one self righteous over zealous moron.

Old 10-18-2007, 03:47 PM

22 posts, read 109,879 times
Due diligence my friend ... due diligence. Deep Ellum seems ready for a makeover one minute and ready for the bulldozer the next. Really, it's symptomatic of the Dallas political bureaucracy. The city has been dying for a central attraction and arts district similar to Austin or San Antonio for sooo many years. Honestly, once the "Jerry World" Stadium is built I would venture to say a significant shift in entertainment dollars towards Arlington will occur (including becoming the hot area for new restaurants and bars). Again, all opinion and observation based.

Old 10-18-2007, 03:59 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,268,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsKyle View Post
Due diligence my friend ... due diligence. Deep Ellum seems ready for a makeover one minute and ready for the bulldozer the next. Really, it's symptomatic of the Dallas political bureaucracy. The city has been dying for a central attraction and arts district similar to Austin or San Antonio for sooo many years. Honestly, once the "Jerry World" Stadium is built I would venture to say a significant shift in entertainment dollars towards Arlington will occur (including becoming the hot area for new restaurants and bars). Again, all opinion and observation based.
That didn't happen in 30 years in Irving. I wouldn't expect it in Arlington either.

Deep Ellum is still an "iffy" area. But I do have high hopes for the area. It's going to get better. Twenty years ago, Uptown was a war zone. Today it's the center of some of the most expensive real estate in town. The same thing is on the horizon for Deep Ellum. I don't think it currently has an Irish pub. So that could be a really good thing for Deep Ellum. Additionally, downtown could use a pub. There are thousands of apartment units downtown that will be completed over the next couple of years.

Investing in central Dallas will pay dividends.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:05 PM

22 posts, read 109,879 times
hamilton ... it might not have happened in Irving, but Dallas isn't the same city it was even 10 years ago, much less 30. And the stadium in Arlington is a COMPLETELY different beast than Texas Stadium. The new development is going to be a master planned entertainment complex centered around football, but one that you can go to any time of the year.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:10 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,268,294 times
The Ballpark in Arlington was planned as the same thing. They are just now getting some plans together for the development. It's called "Glorypark." I've seen the plans, and they are very mediocre. I was expecting more, and I wasn't expecting that much to begin with.

When the plans pan out for a big entertainment complex around the Ballpark and Jerryworld, it'll be great. For now, I'm not holding my breath.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:23 PM

625 posts, read 1,955,779 times
Welll you can also look towards the AA center. That whole area has changed completely and become a really hot area.

I think the only thing holding Arlington back is that it's kind of far. It's not something you can easily cab to for a large portion of the population.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:22 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
Have it in Frisco. It needs more mom and pop places.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:12 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,861,660 times
Deep Ellum has been riding a wave since the late 80's when the first bars down there started opening up. Then it kind of went downhill when it got known more for the tattoo places than the bars and restaurants. Did not help that several crimes were occuring there either that got bad enough to keep people away. Lower Greenville has always been a better bet but there have been plenty of places there that start w/ a bang and then fizzle out and close up shop (bad management most of the time - we have had to go collect more bad checks and equipment from bars in that area than anywhere else). Then there are some that have survived the test of time and keep running strong for a long time. Those are the ones that have better management when it comes to keeping up w/ EVERYTHING be it supplies and paying the bills on time. These are also the ones that stand the test of time by adapting to the changing trends but not too much. Hey, if you have a good thing and people REALLY want to be there then there is not much to change . Of course Greenville Ave would be a good place since it is the spot for the annual St Patricks Day Parade.

As for Arlington......... won't find me getting all excited to go all the way over there just for a club/bar. No thanks. Even if it is all that and more I still would rather stay closer to home and have fun and know that home is REALLY close or I can call a friend to come get me. More clubs have come and gone in Arlington than anywhere else over the years. There are also two other negatives for the Ballpark and JerryDome: the amount of dates and attendance. Football only has so many home games so it is NOTHING like the amount of home games you have for basketball and ice hockey. Ten home games and that includes preseason vs 45 hockey & 45 basketball (based on current season). Hmmm........ go ask the Hooters in the West End how they do on game days and they LOVE the playoffs. First round for basketball and hockey are 3-4 home games vs 1 for football. Oh yes, the Rangers have a lot of home games too but have you looked at the stands when the game is on the news/tv???? YIKES! Looks like they might have to start paying people to go to the games. We had a mini season seat plan years ago for just 10 games and that was a PAIN in the posterior because it was half our day just getting there, staying for the game and coming home. Honestly, I'm sure not going to be hanging out much more than that after all that time. Is TGIFridays still even open at the Ballpark? It was never even packed on game nights. Our neighborhood TGIF's here in Garland at the mall is packed every night.

I'd go w/ something in the vicinity of McKinney Ave, Uptown, Victory Plaza. Find some hole in the wall dump/dive that has not been fixed up that might be around the corner from the current hot spots in that area and go for it. There is a small cigar bar around the corner from S&H Oyster Co and they stay pretty darn busy and it is tucked away in a cute little old bungalow house on a side street.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:44 PM

990 posts, read 2,302,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsKyle View Post
hamilton ... it might not have happened in Irving, but Dallas isn't the same city it was even 10 years ago, much less 30. And the stadium in Arlington is a COMPLETELY different beast than Texas Stadium. The new development is going to be a master planned entertainment complex centered around football, but one that you can go to any time of the year.

Yeah, Dallas is kicking butt compared to 10 years ago. Been around it lately. Revitalized neighborhoods, new construction everywhere.

Glorypark is to be built around the Ballpark(one side of the Ballpark and across a bridge, creek and parking lot from the Cowboys stadium. I agree its underwhelming compared to the talk that came from Arlington initially. As for the rest of the surrounding of the stadium, I'd be surprised if much more is built. They'd have to tear down a lot more for a not so oft used venue.

I don't know what to say about Deep Ellum. Should be interesting once the new DART line opens along with new residential complexes underconstruction and planned. It may pay off big later, but it would be risky for now. You could be looking at the next Uptown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas