U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-21-2013, 10:41 AM

329 posts, read 253,975 times
Default How To Tell What Kind of Wood Floors I Have & How To Clean Them?

I recently moved into a new home in Richardson that contains about 80% real hardwood flooring. The only rooms without hardwood are 2 of the bedrooms and both bathrooms. Everything else is the same hardwood flooring. It appears to me(and believe me, I'm no expert so I could be wrong) that this floor is original to the house.
I dust mop the floor several times a week and vacuum once a week. I'd like to mop the floors with a microfiber mop and some sort of mild cleaner. We bought Zep Hardwood Floor Cleaner form Home Depot and was prepared to use that but after reading the label more carefully it says not use on waxed or unfinished floors. I don't think my floors are unfinished, but they may very well be waxed floors. I know for sure they don't have that polyurethane top coat that some floors have.
We have a dog and also being that the kitchen is all hardwood as well, the floors do get somewhat dirty over time with paw prints, small stains etc. and we'd like to be able to clean this safely.
Can anyone recommend a good, cleaner for real hardwood that would be safe on all types of hardwood? Is there anyway to tell what kind of hardwood floor I have?
The GF suggested spraying pledge on the microfiber mop and going to town, but I'm not so sure that's a good idea either
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 10:57 AM

15,329 posts, read 13,010,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globe9 View Post
I recently moved into a new home in Richardson that contains about 80% real hardwood flooring. The only rooms without hardwood are 2 of the bedrooms and both bathrooms. Everything else is the same hardwood flooring. It appears to me(and believe me, I'm no expert so I could be wrong) that this floor is original to the house.
I dust mop the floor several times a week and vacuum once a week. I'd like to mop the floors with a microfiber mop and some sort of mild cleaner. We bought Zep Hardwood Floor Cleaner form Home Depot and was prepared to use that but after reading the label more carefully it says not use on waxed or unfinished floors. I don't think my floors are unfinished, but they may very well be waxed floors. I know for sure they don't have that polyurethane top coat that some floors have.
We have a dog and also being that the kitchen is all hardwood as well, the floors do get somewhat dirty over time with paw prints, small stains etc. and we'd like to be able to clean this safely.
Can anyone recommend a good, cleaner for real hardwood that would be safe on all types of hardwood? Is there anyway to tell what kind of hardwood floor I have?
The GF suggested spraying pledge on the microfiber mop and going to town, but I'm not so sure that's a good idea either

Are you asking what type of wood the floors are, or what kind of finish is on them? The type of finish is going to dictate what type of cleaner you might want to use, but honestly you don't have to mop wood floors every single week unless you're getting them really dirty. Sweeping them regularly is way more important.

If you feel like you have to mop your wood floors, warm water with a little bit of dishwashing soap is fine but don't soak the floors; a barely damp mop is all that's necessary. I don't think anyone here can tell you exactly how your floors were finished without physically looking at them.

My house is nearby and from the same era and has hardwoods in most of the non-wet rooms. Some have been re-finished, others have the same honey-colored wax finish that was put on them when they were installed. I clean all exposed wood the same way: slightly damp mop with a few drops of dishwashing soap. This happens only every other week. I sweep the hallway at least once a week; the formals get swept only every other week because I very rarely use them.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:17 PM

329 posts, read 253,975 times
I guess I was asking if there was a probability to what type of finish they have based on their age. I don't think they've been refinished. They're in remarkable shape for their age, which leads me to believe they were carpeted over for much of their lifespan. Mine are also honey colored.

I will try the damp mop with a few small drops of dishwashing soap technique. They don't get all that dirty as I do dust mop a few times a week and vacuum. If not for the dog, most of that wouldn't even be necessary, but the dog does track in some dirt from time to time after being outside.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by globe9 View Post
I guess I was asking if there was a probability to what type of finish they have based on their age. I don't think they've been refinished. They're in remarkable shape for their age, which leads me to believe they were carpeted over for much of their lifespan. Mine are also honey colored.

I will try the damp mop with a few small drops of dishwashing soap technique. They don't get all that dirty as I do dust mop a few times a week and vacuum. If not for the dog, most of that wouldn't even be necessary, but the dog does track in some dirt from time to time after being outside.
All you need to do is sweep them and use a very slightly damp mop on them from time to time. You don't even have to clean them every week unless they're getting filthy. With wood floors, sweeping is much more important than mopping since dust, dirt, and debris can scratch the floor.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:25 PM

16,135 posts, read 29,204,015 times
When I had old hardwood floors refinished and matching prefinished hardwood installed, the owner of the company told me to damp mop with water only and if the floors got dirty/grimy/sticky, to use a little white vinegar in the mop water. Still looked good 6 yrs later when I sold. I had about 250 lbs of 3 dogs running on it, too.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:36 PM

Diluted vinegar is fine for some finishes but not others. I think on the OP's finish it's probably fine but it's not suitable for polyurethane.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:34 PM

17,409 posts, read 16,060,492 times
I've always heard you seldom mop wood floors with a wet mop. I use a shop vac to do most of the cleaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas