U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 11:57 AM

5 posts, read 6,081 times

Advertisements

Hi All - I thought I would ask for advice on my situation. My husband and I are currently working in the Bay Area and are considering relocating to the Dallas suburbs primarily for cost of living reasons. We're not quite sure we would ever be able to afford a home here.

Should we decide to relocate, I would most likely work in downtown Dallas, and my husband in the Irving or Plano areas. We're ideally looking for a new construction home, or something less than 10 years old. We're also hoping for very strong schools, as we hope to start a family soon.

We are Indian-American, as well, and having such a sizable community in our neighborhood would be ideal. Our price range for a home would be between $400 and 500k. What suburbs should we consider? I would like something less than a 30 minute driving commute to downtown (although I would prefer DART).

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by ladyjd86; 01-22-2013 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: TYPO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 05:51 PM

228 posts, read 451,496 times
Coppell and Plano offer all that you ask or need.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:57 PM

6,948 posts, read 19,395,173 times
You would really like Irving in zip code 75039. It has DART, good schools (CFISD, but highly rated schools), new houses, about 15-20 minute drive to downtown. The city of Irving is served by 3 different public school systems and also a highly desirable charter school. Another great zip code in Irving is 75063.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:12 AM

13,403 posts, read 21,124,467 times
If living in an area with a huge Indian community is important, you cant go wrong with Irving (specifically Valley Ranch) and Plano (specifically Russell Creek). Huge Indian communities and affordable housing.

If you want to build from a new house, youre pretty much looking at Frisco, McKinney, and Little Elm. The Indian communities are not as large in those areas, but it is growing at a fast clip in Frisco.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:46 PM

5 posts, read 6,081 times
Thanks so much for the responses! A few more -

Is Frisco a doable commute to downtown? I don't mind a longer commute, if there is public transportation available. Secondly, I noticed that everytime I search for new homes in Plano, I get results from Murphy.
Does Murphy have all the benefits of living in Plano?

Last edited by ladyjd86; 01-23-2013 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: n/a

Old 01-23-2013, 02:57 PM

228 posts, read 451,496 times
There is no public transport option from Frisco and the reason you see Murphy while searching for Plano is that they try to sneak in lists this way. Murphy is farther away. If you need Indian grocery and community along with short commute to Dallas then look into 75093 & 75024 which offer all of it with excellent schools and a whole lot more that you can ever ask for.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:58 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,941,981 times
Since you do not have kids yet, and they will not be school age for some time, your best bet is to rent an apartment somewhere close to work for both of you.

Once you get here, then you can take your time and find what will work for you in the long term.

You have six years or more from the time you actually have kids to worry about schools!!!

Old 01-23-2013, 03:07 PM

1,134 posts, read 1,299,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjd86 View Post
Thanks so much for the responses! A few more -

Is Frisco a doable commute to downtown? I don't mind a longer commute, if there is public transportation available. Secondly, I noticed that everytime I search for new homes in Plano, I get results from Murphy.
Does Murphy have all the benefits of living in Plano?
To even get to a DART station you would have to drive into Plano off of 75/Parker or over to Carrollton around 35/Frankford. Neither are really close to Frisco. Also, if you live in Frisco you have to pay to park at both of those DART parking lots because Frisco doesn't pay into DART and the parking spots are a hot commodity.

If you decide to drive into work, you are looking at paying almost $5 in tolls and travelling 30 miles each way, with the occasionall hellish commute because of an accident on the tollroad. I know people do it all the time, but that is not a commute I would ever consider.

If your husband gets a job in Plano, I think Plano or Richarson would be a great place for your family.

I can't personally speak about Murhpy because I'm not familiar with it.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:22 PM

3,629 posts, read 7,220,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obamney1 View Post
There is no public transport option from Frisco and the reason you see Murphy while searching for Plano is that they try to sneak in lists this way. Murphy is farther away. If you need Indian grocery and community along with short commute to Dallas then look into 75093 & 75024 which offer all of it with excellent schools and a whole lot more that you can ever ask for.
Actually it probably has to do with the area code (75094) being coded to Plano by the USPS. Even though Murphy is the bulk of the zip, they don't list it that way. I get junk mail all the time with Plano on the address.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:22 PM

9,808 posts, read 20,436,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
Since you do not have kids yet, and they will not be school age for some time, your best bet is to rent an apartment somewhere close to work for both of you.

Once you get here, then you can take your time and find what will work for you in the long term.
I totally agree! DFW is a huge area, and there are so many different cities and neighborhoods that are all different. Rent for 6 months or a year, find out where you like the most, and then buy a house. Otherwise, you might be stuck with a house in a city or neighborhood that you don't like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or