Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 03:17 PM

13 posts, read 61,934 times

Advertisements

Is there anyone who could share some light/advice on Parish Episcopal school in Dallas? Our family applied for the upcoming 2013-14 school year for open and attrition grades (2nd,3rd and 5th). I was wondering, how this school compares to the Tier 1 schools like Hockaday, Greenhill and ESD? When we visited the school and attended parent coffee, Parish made a great impression on our family, but they emphesize the fact that Parish is not worried about the statistics of GPA, AP honors classes or merit lists. Instead they nurture the individual student personal needs. We loved the fact the school felt as a smaller community,personalized environment and the individual attention the other schools we felt just like a number or another application. Any information on the school is greatly appreciative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 06:43 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,280,416 times
From a rankings perspective, it's definitely a Tier 2 school (a big leap below St Mark's / Hockaday / Cistercian/ Greenhill) and a "half leap" below ESD / Ursuline/ Jesuit. I'd put it on par or a bit above Bishop Lynch & TCA.

The fact that they don't care about "stats" like NMSF, AP, etc means they aren't prioritizing the things that the schools perceived as "above" them are. It's not a bad thing- if it's where you and your family felt the best fit, that's the most important thing and that's where your kid will probably "bloom" and develop a love of learning. Not every kid is meant to be in a high-stakes academic environment. It's hard to compare them statistically since they don't push the stats, you know?

Old 02-07-2013, 08:21 PM

Thank you for your input, this is very helpful and much appreciated.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:25 PM

323 posts, read 633,226 times
It's a nice school and cheaper than top tier ones but you go there for enviorment not for academics. If that is your priority than send kids to a good public and save that money for college.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bypass13 View Post
It's a nice school and cheaper than top tier ones but you go there for enviorment not for academics. If that is your priority than send kids to a good public and save that money for college.
Definitely something seriously considered and many family conversations have taken place already as the price tag for Parish is the same as the Tier 1 schools in North Dallas.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:02 PM

323 posts, read 633,226 times
You are right to expect more with this tuition fee. One advantage that I see in Parish over tier ones( public & private)is that its more relaxed so for some kids it works better.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:47 AM

Sounds like to me the spiritual well being of students at Parish is a hefty price tag to pay. For this price our whole family can receive at our local church for 10% or less our income, more a frugal, well-thought out route

Old 02-08-2013, 06:31 AM

19,767 posts, read 18,050,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bypass13 View Post
Errrr......

1. Parish is only a little less, a few percent, than ESD - ESD has been the most expensive local private for a good while. I can't look up all the numbers but I'd bet Parish is similar to Greenhill, Hockaday and Saint Marks in terms of costs - it certainly isn't substantially cheaper.

2. Academics at Parish are just fine. Parish is part of a growing trend seen in HSs who have decided that there is far too much emphasis on the PSAT test - and a growing number of well regarded universities agree. As an example The University of Texas has almost completely abandoned PSAT scores as metric for awarding scholarships. UT has decided that SAT scores plus grades paint a better picture.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:56 AM

7,888 posts, read 11,400,197 times
I can add that Parish's facility just north of LBJ (west of the Galleria - near Alpha and Midway I believe), is an IM Pei designed building, formerly owned by Mobil but sold to Ray Hunt who donated it to Parish as I understand things..

I cant speak to the more important elements of results/learning environment or costs etc.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:45 AM

19,767 posts, read 18,050,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I can add that Parish's facility just north of LBJ (west of the Galleria - near Alpha and Midway I believe), is an IM Pei designed building, formerly owned by Mobil but sold to Ray Hunt who donated it to Parish as I understand things..

I cant speak to the more important elements of results/learning environment or costs etc.
I'm pretty sure that's right on. The HS's physical plant is definitely an IM Pei work - and it is really awesome. I believe Ray Hunt spearheaded the purchase and transfer to the school as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas