Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 10:26 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,861,069 times

Advertisements

Prices are lower. Choices are fewer. Cannot use credit cards.

It is part of my regular shopping rounds. I don't get everything there, but I don't get everything at any one store anyway.

BeenThereDunThat, I agree with your wife. Chocolate bars are to.die.for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 11:16 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,984,345 times
I'm not in Dallas, but we have Aldi's up north too. I like them better than any other store. Though they have gone up some on things they still are better than anyone else. Always a good deal on bananas and good prices on other produce, milk, bread, and I buy a lot of yogurt and I like their brand as well as any other and its cheaper. They haven't as much stuff as some stores thats the only fault I have with them. I certainly wouldn't say all their stuff is disgusting. That's ridiculous. But if you want to pay more, that's your choice.

According to website Roymorgan.com(a research company) Aldi has remained on top of the Supermarket category for February. With 95% Customer Satisfaction. Yelp.com also gives Aldi's good marks.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:26 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
I guess I'm just not as much of a snob as I thought. Milk is fine. Bread is fine. Pasta is fine. Juice is fine. I imagine most of it is actually national brands that have just been relabeled. Critics probably have never set foot in the store which is a shame.
I've been there, I just don't like boxed or canned food and I wouldn't eat their produce if you paid me; I've bought it before and it's always disgusting. There's nothing else there that would entice me to make the trip.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:32 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,634,934 times
I would rather pay a little more and make one stop to get all that I need. I can't get everything I need at Aldi.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:13 AM

96 posts, read 203,854 times
I tried the chip and queso but the queso was hard and have to microwave to dip which is awful. Stores are too limited stuffs to shop regularly. The few things I would get are milk, fruits and vegetables.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:56 AM

50 posts, read 195,053 times
We like Aldi. We buy all our basic groceries there. They can goods are as good as the major brand but much cheaper. If it weren't for Aldi our milk prices would be much higher. Where else can you buy a pineapple for less than a buck? Their bread is as good as any and only 99 cents. Their potatoes are about half of what you pay elsewhere.

They start their employees at over $11 an hour. They are closed on most holidays when no other grocery store closes. We will stay with them.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:11 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,530,470 times
Everyone that shops at ALDI's can keep it their "go to place" - in my experiance their produce is rotten- their dairy & meat area stinks and their can & dry food is cardboard. I can't see why ALDI is a big hit. Like Jenni said I would rather pay a little more and get real food that is not PACKED with preservatives to make it taste like paper. I understand the value they are trying to give to the public....but at what cost when you digest this crap?

BTW Rowlett Res. use your circular you get every Wednesday for that buck pineapple and take it to Wal Mart and get your Pineapple- they match any advertise price. Although Wal Mart is not much better- they have more to choose from. Me I like an actual Grocery Store...Tom Thumb is the fave.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:42 AM

179 posts, read 557,479 times
$5 packs of diapers. SOLD. (FWIW, they work as well as any other store brand diaper and are half the cost of major name brand diapers.)

The Aldi stores in Dallas are bigger and nicer than the ones I used to shop at in Atlanta. The cereal is good and fairly cheap and it's a great place to get basics. When I have time I tend to go there and stock up, but it's hard to make it my 'go-to' place because it's out of the way for me to get to one and I'm too dang busy these days to do more than 'one stop shopping.'

Old 02-14-2013, 11:59 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,542,050 times
Not sure why the nay-saying from some. It's not supposed to be a Central Market, after all. But we used the Aldi near us in SC and found it great for those basic staples - bread, cereal, snacks, etc. Never had any reason to question the sanitation of the place or products, so not sure where the questioning of that is coming from. But maybe the TX stores are different(?).

Old 02-14-2013, 12:02 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Made_it_To_the_Metroplex View Post
Not sure why the nay-saying from some. It's not supposed to be a Central Market, after all. But we used the Aldi near us in SC and found it great for those basic staples - bread, cereal, snacks, etc. Never had any reason to question the sanitation of the place or products, so not sure where the questioning of that is coming from. But maybe the TX stores are different(?).
As I said in another thread, it depends on what you like to shop for. Personally I do not buy bread, milk, or canned/boxed food and that is mainly what people go to Aldi for. I'm not a big fan of their frozen stuff and I don't think it's that great a deal, certainly not good enough to make me drive a few miles out of my way to go there. And the produce at my local Aldi (Belt Line & Plano Road in Richardson) is, in a word, NASTY.

I don't look down on people who shop at Aldi. It's just not practical for my shopping habits, so I don't shop there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas