U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 05:03 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,895,417 times

Advertisements

Just wondering...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 05:20 PM

6,947 posts, read 18,747,073 times
Overall considerably lower. customers assist in the savings by bringing carts back to the store, supplying thier own grocery bags, waiting in usually just one often long checkout line (sometimes two), and bagging their own groceries.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:25 PM

8,567 posts, read 9,353,739 times
Wow, I've never been to an Aldi and I do all that at any grocery I go into. I always look for a cart to bring in with me but I carry a basket rather than push a cart. I bag the groceries myself but when a store bagger tries to help I just tell them that everything goes in my bag. Sometimes they get confused. There usually aren't long lines (that's a matter of timing on my own behalf) and I always try to use the 'check it yourself' check out.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:40 PM

7,324 posts, read 8,171,512 times
Crap, more or less.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:08 PM

3,325 posts, read 7,284,862 times
Last.

Too disgusting to buy anything in that place, much less anything you would actually eat or drink.

Keep your dollar milk.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:12 PM

432 posts, read 1,004,203 times
Aldi came to Australia only in 2001. They are definitely less expensive then the major grocery stores. The down fall is not as much choice as the major stores so I tend to have to shop at both places but it's worth it to save that $30-40 a week. I have also found that they have some oversea brands that I really like which are not available at the major grocery stores. Australia is very limited in our grocery stores so to me having another choice is great and the major stores have actually dropped prices due to competition.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:45 PM

974 posts, read 1,764,808 times
FWIW: ALDI's is a European/German family-owned grocery biz and had ties with TRADER JOE'S until recently. I believe one of the Albrecht brother's split from the family biz into a separate group and owns Trader Joe's. I've shopped Aldi's several times... it has good prices on many items, some brands are usually indy-labels that are unique to the store. I've found many good values there and the quality was good also. For example, a 48oz of Canola cooking oil recently sold for $2.69.... cheapest I've found elsewhere was $2.99.
Low-fat yogurt was 39 cents a serving container and was quite good. Wife likes the imported chocolate bars and they have a lot to choose from anywhere at $1.49 to $1.89; she knows her chocolate and gives it a big thumbs up. Aldi's doesn't offer multiple brands of an item in most cases. For example; you want whole coffee beans? Chances are they're all from the same company, same with jelly / jams, etc.

Aldi's check out can be slow at times with just one person at the cashier and you have to bag your own groceries. If you don't have a bag, you can buy one. We take our reuseable canvas totes to shop with. If you need a cart, you put a quarter in the slot and can redeem it once you bring the cart back to the rack. It's not that big of a deal.

If you're a value-shopper, Aldi's may be for you. We're certainly not poor and we do shop other stores. But for some things, we've found Aldi's to be a good value. Good Luck.

Last edited by BeenThereDunThat; 02-13-2013 at 08:16 PM..

Old 02-13-2013, 10:14 PM

23,627 posts, read 31,265,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Crap, more or less.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
Last.

Too disgusting to buy anything in that place, much less anything you would actually eat or drink.

Keep your dollar milk.
I concur.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:12 PM

2,651 posts, read 6,372,033 times
I guess I'm just not as much of a snob as I thought. Milk is fine. Bread is fine. Pasta is fine. Juice is fine. I imagine most of it is actually national brands that have just been relabeled. Critics probably have never set foot in the store which is a shame.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:20 PM

2,812 posts, read 3,579,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
I guess I'm just not as much of a snob as I thought. Milk is fine. Bread is fine. Pasta is fine. Juice is fine. I imagine most of it is actually national brands that have just been relabeled. Critics probably have never set foot in the store which is a shame.
Count me as another person who can afford to shop elsewhere who has Aldi's has part of our regular grocery route. They're my go-to store for english muffins, for example (99 cents for a six pack compared to much higher prices at most other stores), and we regularly get milk and eggs from there, which I agree seem no better or worse than the same from any other grocery store. I also think it can't be beat for certain canned goods. I don't like their sandwich meat and don't think their cheese is any bargain (I'll buy the 2 lb baby loaves of Tillamook from Costco - far better quality at a marginally higher price), but it fills a niche very well.

I also find the stores much better than they were 10+ years ago, when they were ill-lit, poorly kept holders of questionable goods. Some people may be basing their opinion of the stores on the way they used to be.

But hey, if someone doesn't want to shop there, their choice. As I said in another thread, we all prioritize differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or