Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 11:25 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,682,798 times

Advertisements

So I finally took the time to visit Highland Park and University Park today with the wifey. We drove around, ate at some joints and took the scenery in.

Definitely a very impressive place to be. Kids playing and biking... people moving about and even some were joined by friends on the front lawn.

I really liked it. I wish my subdivision would be somewhat like that where I'm building... I definitely want some friendly neighbors and it'd be nice if kids were out and about.

Perhaps in another lifetime, I could live in the Park Cities. But my job is out in Flower Mound and it would be a crazy commute. Not only that, but spending over $1M on a house is not where I'd like to be at this time. Maybe in the future if we continue to do well, perhaps we may have our next house in the Park Cities.

Thumbs up... .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 11:28 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,255,953 times
Don't beat yourself up, you're building in a very nice neighborhood and I'm sure that you'll be happy.

Naima

Old 02-18-2013, 05:10 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Yes, the Park Cities are very pretty...and out of reach for most of us. And that's OK; there are other neighborhoods that are great places to live.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:15 AM

812 posts, read 2,183,874 times
It's not just the $1Mill houses. There is so much pressure to also live the lifestyle. You can't tool around town in that 3 year old Chevy Impala. You have to wear the best clothes. Landscaping must be perfect. Your kids must be perfect. You'll have to throw the best parties, including kids'.

I've seen my wife's 2 nieces move from N Dallas to UP and in several years their attitudes have greatly changed. They're now part of the Park Cities "lifestyle", buying new giant SUVs every year, competing with their neighbors (whom they don't even know) to have the best front yard. Cars are a big thing to compete on too.

I'm sure, however, there are humble, non-assuming folks there, just not a lot.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:20 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggolf View Post
It's not just the $1Mill houses. There is so much pressure to also live the lifestyle. You can't tool around town in that 3 year old Chevy Impala. You have to wear the best clothes. Landscaping must be perfect. Your kids must be perfect. You'll have to throw the best parties, including kids'.

I've seen my wife's 2 nieces move from N Dallas to UP and in several years their attitudes have greatly changed. They're now part of the Park Cities "lifestyle", buying new giant SUVs every year, competing with their neighbors (whom they don't even know) to have the best front yard. Cars are a big thing to compete on too.

It's not much better in PH.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:27 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:

Your nieces are perfect examples of the "new money" newcomers into the Park Cities. They try to spend their way to belong, not realizing the best way to "belong" is to be friendly, help volunteer at the schools, join a local church, etc. It sounds like they're insecure and building a very superficial life if they are wholly focused on buying new SUV's, hiring the best landscapers, and copying every other "thing" they see. They're missing out on the chance to be part of a neighborhood and community.

What gave them away? The fact that after several years, they don't know their neighbors. If you have read this forum at all, you'll usually read that newcomers are surprised at how friendly and inclusive the neighbors are vs expectations or other places they've lived.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:30 AM

19,783 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:

You should delete that it's silly.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:31 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
PS- OP, glad you had the chance to check out the area. What beautiful weather this weekend! Everyone was outside.

You definitely don't want to commute Park Cities to FM daily, but if you ever transfer to Presbyterian/ Baylor/ Medical City / Medical District in Dallas, hopefully you'll check it out again

Old 02-18-2013, 07:49 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,872,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post
So I finally took the time to visit Highland Park and University Park today with the wifey. We drove around, ate at some joints and took the scenery in.

Definitely a very impressive place to be. Kids playing and biking... people moving about and even some were joined by friends on the front lawn.

I really liked it. I wish my subdivision would be somewhat like that where I'm building... I definitely want some friendly neighbors and it'd be nice if kids were out and about.

Perhaps in another lifetime, I could live in the Park Cities. But my job is out in Flower Mound and it would be a crazy commute. Not only that, but spending over $1M on a house is not where I'd like to be at this time. Maybe in the future if we continue to do well, perhaps we may have our next house in the Park Cities.

Thumbs up... .
FloMo has lots of neighborhoods like this. It's a very family-oriented suburb. Unfortunately, the patio home you are building in Southlake probably won't be like that. Patio homes tend to be older folks without kids who don't need or want the yard upkeep.

And your commute up there from Southlake isn't going to be fun. You will either be stuck in the long line of cars on 2-lane 377, or fighting the mess on 114 to get to 2499. Yuck.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:02 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
Its a beautiful area I agree. I am glad I didn't rear my kids, there, however. We just did not have the financial means to make decisions about what our personal values were vs. our ability to provide the things we believed in. Its always easier to stay grounded when your values are not tested by lack of funds to give your kids those things other families do for their children. When you have to withhold summer camp, music lessons, travel and cultural experiences because you simply cannot afford it, that's ok if you find reasonable substitutions in most conventional communities. But if you live in an affluent area where so many of your children's peers are regularly getting the things you cannot provide, your kids cannot help but feel inferior. If you tell your kids that those things are not affordable, they will feel poor. If you tell your kids you don't believe in providing things other kids get, they will be resentful unless your alternatives are value-filled -- something very possible when you have the means but nearly impossible when you don't. When we were rearing our kids, it was a challenge coming up with money for H.S. graduation photos!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas