Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 07:36 AM

28 posts, read 84,445 times

Advertisements

Okay. So they other day one of my cars would not start so we got in our van (which we don't normally use because it has an expired reg sticker for around 6 months) we had to take my Son to a hockey game and then we were going to the car dealer to see about a new car... trading in the van with the expired reg. sticker. So we thought it would be a good idea anyway so we could get it the trade in value. Anyway on the way to my sons hockey game we got pulled over and a citation for the reg. sticker. I let the officer know our other car would not start and this was only being used to take him to the game and the dealer but I got the citation. So I am wondering if I go to the judge and show him we did trade in the car and bought a new one 3 days later... if you think the judge would lower or waive the $155 ticket. Not trying to get out of it but would love to pay less as I sunk so much freaking money into the piece of junk I really don't want another $155 to just git rid of it.

Any feedback you might have would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 08:26 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,080,953 times
You can try, but it's your responsibility to keep the registration and inspection stickers on your car current. I don't see how trading it in after the registration expired explains your failure to keep the registration current, which is required under state law.

But go ahead and try. Worst they can do is say no.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:32 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,764,446 times
Sorry, but I think all you can do at this point is beg for mercy. Maybe explain why you didn't renew the van's registration if that helps.

For all the judge (or the officer who stopped you) knows, you had been driving around for 6 months with an expired registration before you got caught. It would be difficult to prove otherwise.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:36 AM

It's my responsibility if I am driving it. I did not drive it except that day when I was going to take My son to hockey and then to the dealer. I did not use it other than that due to problems and expired reg.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:37 AM

11,816 posts, read 26,650,028 times
Pay the fine. You've learned your lesson: keep your registration sticker current!

Be glad Texas isn't like California. Out there, if you don't pay your vehicle tags on time, they will garnish your wages for it!

Old 02-18-2013, 08:52 AM

Whoops not my reg. but my inspection. reg. I kept current even though I could not drive it

Old 02-18-2013, 08:52 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,080,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy0637 View Post
It's my responsibility if I am driving it. I did not drive it except that day when I was going to take My son to hockey and then to the dealer. I did not use it other than that due to problems and expired reg.

You gambled and lost. I don't mean to sound insensitive and it's pretty unlucky that you were pulled over, but that's a risk you took. Whining about it later isn't going to change the fact that you were not compliant with state law.

Take me for example. I speed and I've jammed my way through traffic lights when they had been yellow for several seconds. Once I got a ticket for running a red light from one of those red light cameras. I did run that red light. I remember running that red light. It wasn't a matter of life and death; I was going 45mph down the access road on 75, chose not to slow down when the light turned yellow, and was going too fast to stop when the light turned red so I went ahead and completed my turn.

Whose fault was it that I got a ticket?

Oh yes, I remember. Mine.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:56 AM

Lol. Not whining. Just asking a.simple question.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:28 AM

390 posts, read 711,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy0637 View Post
Whoops not my reg. but my inspection. reg. I kept current even though I could not drive it
An inspection sticker may be a little more forgiving. I've heard of people getting fined for expired registration when asked if they drove the car to get the new sticker.

Not sure if it's still the case, but in the past if you get the car inspected within a certain number of days from getting the ticket, they'll wave the ticket for a small fee (maybe $10). You may want to call and see if that might be an option.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:31 AM

I did that but it's only for cars 60 days or less and like I said I traded it in. The van could not pass inspection and was way to costly to fix it which is why I never got it inspected or drove it. I am just trying to get a feel to see if people have done it in the past. Like I said before I am not trying to fully get out of it but was hoping maybe the judge could see we were trying to get rid or it and was the only reason we were driving the car with the expired inspection.

Thanks for the feedback seat21d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: