Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2013, 03:42 PM

355 posts, read 564,982 times

Advertisements

The wife and I have been thinking pretty hard about relocating to Texas. I don't plan to bring anything with me from California, except the wife and kids. The rest of it can stay here.

I'd like to synch up with a technical recuiter to get a feel for what the IT job market is like. I'd like to do more than get a job, I also want to know how often jobs in my area (IT Manager) come up, and what the typical pay is like. I understand that the salaries might not be the same, but also want to know that if anything happens, that I have a chance of getting another job.

I did this in the Boise area also, and had one similar position come up in about six months, ouch.

I'd appreciate any information. Feel free to PM something over, if you are willing.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 10:54 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,748,197 times
The mcjobs recruiters in DFW area are Matrix and Robert Halff.

There are a number of more specialized firms centered around a particular core competency.

Read through one of the job boards (DICE Monster) to get a feel for who the recruiters are.

One word of warning, do not lie on your resume, show up for phone screens and interviews, and if you verbally accept a position, then go through with it. Most recruiting firms maintain a database of job applicants and you do not want to end up on the flake list from which you will never get off.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:27 PM

355 posts, read 564,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
The mcjobs recruiters in DFW area are Matrix and Robert Halff.

There are a number of more specialized firms centered around a particular core competency.

Read through one of the job boards (DICE Monster) to get a feel for who the recruiters are.

One word of warning, do not lie on your resume, show up for phone screens and interviews, and if you verbally accept a position, then go through with it. Most recruiting firms maintain a database of job applicants and you do not want to end up on the flake list from which you will never get off.
Thank you. This is good advice, and I appreciate your input.

This is one reason why I want to synch up with a recruiter up front. I'd like to make that connection, consider flying out to have an interview to let them know who I am and what I am looking for. I just ask them to keep me in the loop on positions that are in my area of expertise. If it looks like a viable place to relocate to (I'd know that pretty quickly if the positions are posted often enough), then we'd move to the next step and get ready for a move. (sell the house, rent, etc.) I'd want to be able to relocate when needed, and not have it dependent on things outside of my control.

But, if it's like Boise, where only one position came up in six months, then I'd likely not take it further. But, Texas is a great job market, and I'd expect it to be the former.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:45 PM

937 posts, read 2,907,215 times
What does your skill set look like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: