Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 02:24 PM

912 posts, read 1,883,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
I'm looking for circumstances and costs. I'm just planning for a worst case scenario. Also, does property insurance typically cover foundation problems?
Insurance is the same as gambling as the institution is the only entity that always wins by taking ten dollars from the loser and giving nine to the winner keeping a dollar for itself. In regards to property insurance, the customer in that particular case plays the parts of both the winner and the loser as the culprit responsible for their loss are God and nature and they are always blameless.
I've often read that foundation repairs are expensive and don't always work to stop the problem. It is better to treat the cracks for termite infestation, keep the foundation properly watered to shore it up as best as possible, and then hire carpenters, the carpenters you would have had to hire anyway after the foundation repair, to adjust the misaligned doors, walls and such to fit up with the damaged house caused by the cracked foundation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 10:25 AM

2 posts, read 9,787 times
Default You are welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
Nice map! Thank you for sharing. I'll pass it around for others to use.
I am having my new house inspected for foundation problems as well...I just wish the builders would put foundations down before building the house!!

Old 07-23-2011, 04:28 AM

3 posts, read 6,241 times
we had an under slab leak, 25 piers, ~$7-8k but that was a few years back...if you want to know why DFW is pretty much a guarantee when it comes to foundation repairs, look at this map...Moderator cut: no ads allowed, too new to make specific recommendaitons, read TOS

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 07-23-2011 at 10:08 AM..

Old 05-08-2012, 08:50 AM

1 posts, read 3,475 times
It won't cost you THAT much to get your foundation fixed. I mean, it's a big chunk of cash but it's not like you'll need to sell your first born to get it done. It's nothing to cause any lost sleep over.

We are buying a house in The Colony, TX (about an hr north of Dallas) and just had a foundation inspection. There are only very minor signs prevelant in the house... a crack in the living room, a tiny crack in a bedroom, a crack up in a corner near the garage door. Nothing major, but we knew it would probably be a minor foundation issue. The guy came out and told us we would need 14 exterior piers and 1 interior pier. Total cost= $6,095. That bid comes from a reputable company with a lifetime transferrable warranty.

But remember, even reputable companies are in it to make money. Their job is to sell you piers and get more work, thus getting more money. So you may want to check the company's estimate by having another company come out to see if they tell you the same thing. My husband and I are ok with the estimate because as buyers, it gives us some negotiating leverage. But if budget is tight, get a few foundation companies to come out and give you a bid... Most places will come out and check your foundation for free.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,139 times
Can someone recommand a accredited foundation inspection and repair company in North Dallas area?

Old 02-10-2014, 09:57 AM

1 posts, read 2,170 times
Has anyone had any experience with Grand Homes Warranty and repair of foundation issues in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Really need some help.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:16 AM

3,052 posts, read 8,362,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustrated in Texas View Post
Has anyone had any experience with Grand Homes Warranty and repair of foundation issues in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Really need some help.
I have not had any direct experience with them but what types of issues are you concerned with? Possibly some additional description/detail would elicit more responses?

Old 07-07-2014, 05:52 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,142,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thambers View Post
I live in West Plano, just west of the Dallas Tollroad and east of 121. A few of the homes in my neighborhood has had foundation repairs; however Grand homes has been battling with a few to pay... How severe does the cracks have to be in order for hte warranty to kick in? We have cracks but this area is known to have sever foundation problems... i prefer to take care of it now rather than wait for it to be a danger to our health/life. ANy suggestions on how the warranty is triggered?
I can only suggest that you build a strong case for yourself - file all emails and other correspondence, take plenty of photos, etc. - it may take years, and the Company may try everything else before biting the bullet (we got a French draining system) but try to comply with everything asked of you and keep those records!

That not only benefited us, but helped our next door neighbor as well. He didn't follow through with due diligence, but we had done enough for two.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:41 AM

3,052 posts, read 8,362,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
I can only suggest that you build a strong case for yourself - file all emails and other correspondence, take plenty of photos, etc. - it may take years, and the Company may try everything else before biting the bullet (we got a French draining system) but try to comply with everything asked of you and keep those records!

That not only benefited us, but helped our next door neighbor as well. He didn't follow through with due diligence, but we had done enough for two.
^^^^

Documentation is King (or Queen for the ladies) when it comes to pursuing any issue that the responsible party refuses to handle! Be consistent and persistent with your documentation and it will only help you in your situation.

Old 05-17-2015, 07:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,229 times
I have recently rented a house in mesquite TX. And the landlord did mention that needs a little foundation work. So we move in the house only been here 2 mouths now and I have water running from my second bath when shower is on the outside underneath the house. But the biggest problem is my main bath room, my toilet is falling in asking with my kitchen in also sinking. I live in disability and I see the prices everyone is quoting is there not something cheaper or payments. That's what I need. It had gotten so bad that I'm afraid of anyone using toilet because may fall thru. And in the biggest one in the house so that would be me. Any one knows or can help please call my caretaker at 469-709-8401 ask for Marq. I take dialysis so I'm in and out of sleep �� thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas