Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 10,255 times

Advertisements

Would it be possible for you to contact me and let me know what companies you are considering? It sounds like you have already done your research. Its so hard to know who to trust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
We're in the midst of a foundation warranty situation with our builder. There's two different companies (with two different repair methods - tunneling and traditional pier) bidding on the job. While the homebuilder (Ryland) will be footing the bill, it does present us with decisions regarding the type of repair and the warranty that each company offers. troypantego@hotmail.com

To be specific, the traditional pier (Company A) would offer a 20/yr warranty and would require that we move out of our home for a short period (2-3 weeks). An inconvenience, but a per diem would be supplied. The added benefit to this option is that the kitchen tile would have to be replaced (and possibly the master bath tile), which we were having trouble with anyway.

Company B is using a method they refer to as "tunneling", and does not require us to relocate. It will be a mess, and we wouldn't get the possible replacements of tile because they don't go through the floor, but the lifetime transferable warranty is sounding pretty sweet, especially considering the long term growth potential of the Little Elm area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 01:11 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times
Church Services did the work last month for Ryland Homes. It's way too early to know about the quality of their work, except to say they were efficient, polite and considerate. I'm not in a position to promote them or anyone else, because 1) I'm not the customer, even though I do get the warranty and 2) Ryland is yet to come in to do the interior repairs from the lift. They lifted the foundation about 4".

48 piers!

Old 12-04-2008, 08:37 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
Foundation work is NOT anywhere near around $1000 a pier. There are many different kinds of piers, and on average, they range from $250-400 a pier, most around the $300 mark. From my 9 years in real estate, the most any client has ever paid in foundation work, including the pre and post slab leak tests and the engineer's reports for before and after the work, it was $10,500. Most are around $2500-4000. You are NOT looking at tens of thousands of dollars unless your house is a complete shambles and the entire thing needs piers inside and outside.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:59 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,257,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Church Services did the work last month for Ryland Homes. It's way too early to know about the quality of their work, except to say they were efficient, polite and considerate. I'm not in a position to promote them or anyone else, because 1) I'm not the customer, even though I do get the warranty and 2) Ryland is yet to come in to do the interior repairs from the lift. They lifted the foundation about 4".

48 piers!
They may have told you that you will be experiencing some more shifting until the new piers settle for at least 2 seasons. So even though they will come and repairs the cracks inside the house now, new ones will likely develop over the next 6 months. Keep that in mind when they come in to make sure that after 6 months they will still come back and patch and paint again.

Naima

Old 02-02-2009, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 9,991 times
Need foundation repair on my home in Houston, TX. Can anyone recommend a reputable company? Mimito3

Old 03-04-2009, 02:35 PM

2 posts, read 20,697 times
Is it hard to get a home that has had foundation repair insured?

Old 03-04-2009, 02:38 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsah View Post
Is it hard to get a home that has had foundation repair insured?
Since I've just had mine repaired and I have no urge to call my insurance company, I'd say no.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:56 AM
aeh

318 posts, read 1,621,878 times
We had no issue getting our home insured even before we did the foundation repair and now that we have done it, we have completely fixed the issue.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:25 PM

1 posts, read 9,456 times
Anyone considering foundation repair should really think hard to see if it is really worth it and absolutely necessary. I live in a condo and they are leveling my building. My condo is a tiny little place and I have 9 big deep holes in my living room downstairs - dust and dirt are everywhere. I am relegated to a little corner of my upstairs with all my furniture piled up there. Because they work all day with all doors and windows open - I am living with hundreds of mosquitoes, some flies and spiders. I have sprayed so much bug spray that I am now concerned about my health! The outside of my building has all the plants unrooted and laying like a bomb went off. It is like living in a slum lord dwelling that is in the middle of a war zone. I have no recourse as it is a condo. I would never do it again!

Last edited by Annie Dee; 06-23-2009 at 10:54 PM.. Reason: grammer

Old 06-24-2009, 09:01 AM

3,072 posts, read 8,415,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimito3 View Post
Need foundation repair on my home in Houston, TX. Can anyone recommend a reputable company? Mimito3

Regardless of who performs the work make sure they are working from an Engineered foundation repair plan. I would recommend hiring your own Professional Engineer to evaluate the issue, write a plan and review the repair work to ensure it is performed properly.

In the Houston area I would recommend giving Michael Gray a call, 281-358-1121. He is a long time licensed Engineer that has extensive experience in foundation issues. Speak with him and he might be able to refer you to a reputable company.

Good luck!
Moderator cut: soliciting

Last edited by Marka; 06-25-2009 at 02:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas