Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 12:27 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,720,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
The traffic is pretty horendous though during rush hour. I refuse to drive anywhere from 5pm-6:30pm. The midway and Park area is crazy at that time. Especially if you are trying to drive east on Park.
One trick is Parkwood up to Windhaven then down Plano Road to Marsh. Parkwood is one of the best kept secrets to avoiding the East-West mess at Park/Parker & Tollway.

Once Nebraska Furniture Mart goes in, Windhaven will be as busy as Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 12:33 PM

6,679 posts, read 13,896,075 times
I have worked in Plano for awhile and I have never experienced long waits for any resaurants unless it was a holiday. I will say the same for grocery stores. Sunnyvale is a very nice community but the lifestyle there is much more laid back than the northern burbs. The schools are excellent but the enrollement is small by suburban standards. The entire district has 1,200 students. Plano West High School has over 4,000. You want find high end shopping or country clubs in the area. Most of your amenties will come from Mesquite or Garland and these areas are more blue collar than white collar. What you will get is a tight community and a large lot. Ray Hubbard lake and Rockwall is 5 minutes away. I would somewhat disagree with Sunnyvale not being centrally located. It is certainly closer to downtown than Plano and if you work in the northern burbs you can take the tollway from Sunnyvale to Plano with little traffic. Everyone knows about Plano/Frisco/Allen but few know much about Sunnyvale. Sunnyvale is much more laid back and relax.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:39 PM

3,812 posts, read 4,382,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
Riiight..

We walked into Joe's Pizza off Parker/Tollway last Friday at 7 pm and found a seat immediately.

I took the kids grocery shopping at Whole Foods on Preston the following Sunday at 1pm and checked out with just one person in line in front of me.

OTOH

It is a 30 min wait to get a seat at many locations in Frisco on Friday - Hooters, Cheesecake Factory, etc. And Frisco is still under served when it comes to Grocery stores. The complaint about lack of grocery stores is a common one in Frisco...

I don't know anything about Sunnyvale, but given its location, which is not central to the jobs in Dallas nor is is it near the airports, makes its location less than appealing if you are a professional.

In fairness, if the OP works in downtown dallas, then Sunnyvale becomes a VERY good option. Far better than anything in Collin County. Now if the job is just about anywhere else then you might want to look at other options.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:53 PM

477 posts, read 1,044,794 times
The GF and I tried to eat at several restaurants in Plano last Saturday night about 8:15pm. There were 30+ minute waits at all of them. We tried Chuy's, Razoo's, Abuelo's and some other place that was in the same parking lot as Chuy's and Razoo's. None of those restaurants are worth a 30+ minute wait so we just gave up. To be fair though, it was a Saturday night. I was just surprised that all 4 restaurants had 30+ minute waits(Razoo's was over 45 minutes).

Can't comment on wait times at grocery stores in Plano b/c we don't grocery shop there.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:36 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,599,170 times
If you think Plano is overcrowded, then you would definitely hate Uptown or the Park Cities.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:41 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,834,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
I have worked in Plano for awhile and I have never experienced long waits for any resaurants unless it was a holiday. I will say the same for grocery stores. Sunnyvale is a very nice community but the lifestyle there is much more laid back than the northern burbs. The schools are excellent but the enrollement is small by suburban standards. The entire district has 1,200 students. Plano West High School has over 4,000. You want find high end shopping or country clubs in the area. Most of your amenties will come from Mesquite or Garland and these areas are more blue collar than white collar. What you will get is a tight community and a large lot. Ray Hubbard lake and Rockwall is 5 minutes away. I would somewhat disagree with Sunnyvale not being centrally located. It is certainly closer to downtown than Plano and if you work in the northern burbs you can take the tollway from Sunnyvale to Plano with little traffic. Everyone knows about Plano/Frisco/Allen but few know much about Sunnyvale. Sunnyvale is much more laid back and relax.
Plano West has 2160 students, not 4000+ You can see for yourself on the PISD website.
Plano West Senior High School - Campus Profile : Plano ISD

Plano West plus Jasper plus Shepton has 5447 students ~ that may be your 4000+ number; the senior high and its two feeder high schools.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:44 PM

87 posts, read 134,602 times
I've waited as long or longer in Uptown, Addison, HP and Frisco on busy nights. I'm sure Sunnyvale has few restaurantes but not many bothers to drive for dining in Mesquite, Garland and rural area beyond that.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:46 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,569,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
[/b]

In fairness, if the OP works in downtown dallas, then Sunnyvale becomes a VERY good option. Far better than anything in Collin County. Now if the job is just about anywhere else then you might want to look at other options.
I would have to agree here, and the commute is better than it is to Rockwall which might be another option. Lots of decent shopping and (mostly chain) restaurants in Mesquite which just a few minutes from Sunnyvale. Rockwall has better shopping and restaurants. Most parts of Sunnyvale are 20-30 minutes from Rockwall though, so not too bad.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:54 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,083,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globe9 View Post
The GF and I tried to eat at several restaurants in Plano last Saturday night about 8:15pm. There were 30+ minute waits at all of them. We tried Chuy's, Razoo's, Abuelo's and some other place that was in the same parking lot as Chuy's and Razoo's. None of those restaurants are worth a 30+ minute wait so we just gave up. To be fair though, it was a Saturday night. I was just surprised that all 4 restaurants had 30+ minute waits(Razoo's was over 45 minutes).

Can't comment on wait times at grocery stores in Plano b/c we don't grocery shop there.
There's a Razzoo's at 75 and Spring Valley, no need to drive up to Plano. And Chuy's isn't worth a drive anywhere. You could flip through the Yellow Pages and randomly point to a restaurant and it would probably be better; the food is forgettable and the service is atrocious. Ditto Abuelo's...they suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
If you think Plano is overcrowded, then you would definitely hate Uptown or the Park Cities.
LOL very true! Plus...try finding a parking space!

Old 03-06-2013, 02:09 PM

5,248 posts, read 6,332,247 times
Quote:
There's a Razzoo's at 75 and Spring Valley, no need to drive up to Plano.
Unless you live close to the tollway, then there's no reason to drive to Spring Valley and 75. See how that works?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: